Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flywheel movement

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flywheel movement

I have had my LS1 in a Jeep for about 3 years and never noticed this. I was underneath it the other day and noticed that the flywheel is moving back and forth when the engine is running about 1/4" or maybe a little bit more. It is moving from the front of the vehicle to the back. Is this normal or what? Thanks for the help!!

Old 05-03-2006, 09:31 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That doesn`t seem normal to me, but I never watched my flywheel. When you shut the engine down can you grab the flywheel front to back?

A couple years ago my dads suburban was making some noise, we drove it into the garage and it sounded like it was coming from the torque convertor/ bellhousing area. After looking with a light it looked like the flywheel had a crack so he pulled the bolts out of the torque convertor, and the flywheel FELL off in his hand, the center of the flywheel had completely broken out and was still attached to the motor. I still can`t figure out how he was able to drive it. mabey it`s something weird like that.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Either your bolts have all backed out, or your flexplate is broken (you have a flexplate, not a flywheel). Something is wrong, and needs fixed ASAP.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

If your flywhweel or flexplate is not loose you shouldn't have more than about .010" run-out. If it is loose I wouldn't drive it until it was fixed.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

look at the balancer when the engine is running, rev the the motor a couple of times and see if you have the same movement. if you do, the thrust bearing is bad(and probably the crank too). it happened to me with an engine i bought off of ebay and it seems to be a semi-common problem. i bought a used crank off of ebay, polished and a set of new bearings and have had no problems since. i attributed mine to bad assembly by seller(long story) and the engine sat a fair amount of time and was dry at start-up.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like crank walk. Like racer said you may hava thrust bearing bad but could just be a silly flexplate.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

I am going to look into it further tonight. I have not watched to balancer to see if that is moving or not. When I put it all together I took the stock flywheel and redrilled it out for a TH-350 torque convertor. I am using and Art Carr convertor, so I would think that should be true, but who knows!! I hope that I will find it being something simple. If it is a flywheel, where could I get one that I do not have to drill out myself? Thanks for all the help!!
Old 05-11-2006, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

I finally got a chance to look into the problem further. I started it up and the harmonic balancer does not have any movement at all, it is running perfectly straight!!! I think that will be a good thing. I looked over the flywheel, it is not cracked, and not loose. What gives?? What am I missing?? Please Help!!!!

Maybe I need to buy a new flywheel just in case it is something simple like that? Could it be the converter?

Thanks for all the help!!
Old 05-11-2006, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it possible the ring gear has slipped on the flexplate? Or the flexplate is slightly warped?

Pat

Quick Reply: Flywheel movement