Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 into '79 El Camino

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006 | 05:40 PM
Teching In

Question 6.0 into '79 El Camino

I've got a 6.0 (long block with no oil pan, flexplate, accessories, intake, coil packs, or valve covers) that I'm going to be putting into a '79 El Camino somewhere in the near-to-distant future. I'm going to bolt it up to a TH-350. I have a couple questions about this; they may have already been asked and answered, but I couldn't find them specifically.

First, I've got a plain old 350 with a 1-piece rear main seal in it now. The 350 flexplate and 6.0 crankshaft flange look to match up. Will this flexplate work on the late-model engine? If not, why?
Second, I haven't seen any swaps of just an engine into an older car, using the older transmission. Will motor mount adapters change the angle or location of the motor, requiring a different transmission crossmember or mount?

Thanks.
Old 05-14-2006 | 08:48 PM
FormerVendor

The bolt pattern is different on your 6.0 liter engine as compared to the old style 350. You can either drill the flexplate with the proper converter bolt pattern or purchase the TCI LS1 flexplate, which already has the proper bolt pattern drilled into it. I also recommend using an pilot extension for your converter. It will center your converter to your crankshaft. It's also included with the TCI flexplate.
Kevin
Old 05-15-2006 | 04:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

changing locations of the motor depends on the mounts used. i fabbed my own motor mounts using the a stock th-350 bolted to the stock crossmember. a stock f-body oil pan fit with no mods. the valve cover is a very tight fit with the stock heater/ ac box. you may or may not need to modify the box slightly, i didn't but the member i later sold the mounts too did. as far as the flexplate, i drilled a 5.3 flexplate to match my converter.
Old 05-18-2006 | 09:50 PM
sawzall wielding director
20 Year Member

If you are looking for more info check this thread, there are lots of questions that are in here that you probably wouldn`t have thought of until you tried to swap the motor. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=camino