Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 rx7's for sale... (?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006 | 05:08 PM
10 Second Club

Default ls1 rx7's for sale... (?)

throwing around the idea of selling the bird- and buying/building a fd (newest made) rx7 with a ls1 swap. i know the information is out there to do the swap and the parts are available- but a place to do the work, time, and availability of the parts are the problems i would forsee with a project like that.

i was browsing around www.torquecentral.com for a bit but wondered if anybody knew where people would post up a fd/ls1 rx7 for sale. obviously it is easier to just buy a car that is already swapped, especially if it was done correctly.

thanks in advance. any and all links are appreciated also on the subject.
Old 06-04-2006 | 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

These things are VERY hard to find for sale. I'm on torquecentral also man (sweatyK) as this is what I am actually doing (Iron 408 FD3S). You're best bet is to have hinson build one for you, OR order all the parts, and take it to a reputable shop to have them perform the swap, any performance shop would be stoked to work on a project like this, just be careful and write them out some basic instructions on what parts are necesary for what and why, its a finicky process and you're best bet is honestly hinson, or wait for the solemn chance someone wants to sell it. The LS1 FD is still too rare a car to find for sale abundantly.
Old 06-04-2006 | 05:47 PM
10 Second Club

if i were to build it i would be doing it myself, i really don't let anybody work on my cars besides myself or my mechanic (good friend for years). i can use one of his lifts IF there is not a car on it and ONLY on saturdays- so you can see how long it would take me to complete a project like this. i know i can do it, hell give me the right tools and like any mechanic i could probably do anything. ..

i wouldn't let hinson build it because of the $$+++ im sure they would charge. i'd order their parts though if i were to do it, the prices are not all that bad imho.

it would be very cool to avoid all of that bullshit and just buy one that is already done though, but like stated it is kind of rare. just hoping maybe somebody had a site that i could "watch" to see when these things get sold...i'd have to guess there are over 100 ls1/fd's out there now..?

thanks for the info though, good luck on your project.
Old 06-04-2006 | 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sleeperstyle
if i were to build it i would be doing it myself, i really don't let anybody work on my cars besides myself or my mechanic (good friend for years). i can use one of his lifts IF there is not a car on it and ONLY on saturdays- so you can see how long it would take me to complete a project like this. i know i can do it, hell give me the right tools and like any mechanic i could probably do anything. ..

i wouldn't let hinson build it because of the $$+++ im sure they would charge. i'd order their parts though if i were to do it, the prices are not all that bad imho.

it would be very cool to avoid all of that bullshit and just buy one that is already done though, but like stated it is kind of rare. just hoping maybe somebody had a site that i could "watch" to see when these things get sold...i'd have to guess there are over 100 ls1/fd's out there now..?

thanks for the info though, good luck on your project.
98% of the work on these swaps can be done without a lift.

In regard to LS1/FDs for sale; They almost always come up either on here or on Torquecentral (most typically on both). HOWEVER, you'll find if you put up a wanted ad, everyone is selling "for the right price". I believe Mark (GNX7) is selling his on TC currently.
Old 06-04-2006 | 06:13 PM
Launching!

http://www.torquecentral.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Post a WTB ad and if you offer enough someone will sell their car.
Old 06-04-2006 | 06:46 PM
10 Second Club

for the right price . kind of what i figured. cool though, guess i'd try that when/if the time comes.

what do they usually go for (ballpark). my guess is 12k$- 20k$, depending on how far they went with mods.
Old 06-04-2006 | 07:12 PM
Launching!

I think you'll need to bump both of those figures up $4-5k. The low end would most likely be a running car that has a crapped out interior, worn out suspension and some other hokeyness; the upper end would be a nice complete car with no shortcuts made and aftermarket suspension, wheels, engine mods, etc. You might be underestimating how much it really costs to make a nice V8FD and the amount of work they take to build correctly.
Old 06-05-2006 | 02:38 AM
Teching In

Try $18 to $35k with most in the $18 to $25k range. $18 to $20 will get you a home built LS1 93 to 95 RX7 with original wheels, paint and interior. Hinson built cars are $20k and up.
Old 06-05-2006 | 02:58 AM
TECH Regular

theres one on tc right now for 22
Old 06-05-2006 | 12:04 PM
10 Second Club

it was sold for 21 i believe, then i read in another post the motor blew up one week after the buyer go it, and has since installed a new ls1 motor...

thanks for the help though everybody, at least now i know what im getting into if i decide to buy a done one. i know where to look and about what im gonna spend..
Old 06-05-2006 | 06:00 PM
Teching In

I'm also thinking about an LS1 swap in an RX7. I too have been reading a lot about it here and at TC... From the few that I've seen sold in the last few months they seem to range anywhere from 18 to about 35k (like someone else said above). One of the guys who paid ~20k seemed to have got screwed and had to get a new engine though. That may be the same guy you mentioned. Hinson's web site says their "base building cost is $8,656.72 plus the cost of the engine and transmission" so if you could get a good deal on a car, engine, and transmission you could probably have one built the way you want it for around the same price it would cost to buy someone else's. Anyway, I guess I've just repeated what everyone else has already said... But I agree that an FD RX7 project would be pretty awesome!
Old 06-05-2006 | 07:12 PM
jic
Staging Lane

ls1 fd is the way to go
Old 06-05-2006 | 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is one for sale on Craigslist. Looks to be well done but too much of a drift car look for me. I wouldn't pay nearly that much unless it was spotless. If it was in the f-body ballpark 13k-20k maybe I would consider.

http://www.craigslist.org/sby/car/165953764.html
Old 06-05-2006 | 08:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have one for sale, details will be coming shortly, however mine is California smog legal and may be out of your price range.

PM me if you are interested.
Old 06-06-2006 | 01:14 AM
Teching In

...out of your price range? Man your in Palo Alto! your out of my tax bracket!
Old 06-06-2006 | 01:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cingham
...out of your price range? Man your in Palo Alto! your out of my tax bracket!
Actually I live in East Palo Alto now (I graduated from Stanford last year)

Palo Alto is out of my tax bracket too, hahah.
Old 06-06-2006 | 01:50 PM
10 Second Club

i'd sell mine too for $31k. maybe.

68k miles on car (base model) with about 4k miles on the motor.
The motor is stroked to 370 cubic inches (stock is 346); Wiseco pistons, Lunati rods, and Scat 3.90" crank. It makes tons of torque even with its puny baby cam (.523/.530 lift, 114 lsa, 216/220 duration).
Made 400 rwhp, 410 tq. It has a very broad torque curve (benefit of the mild stroker combo):
http://207.127.219.37/images/rxdyno2.jpg

With a more aggressive cam, 450 rwhp seems in the realm of possibilities.
I went 10.97 at 127 on drag radials. i think a bias ply slick could take it to 10.7 approx.
The car is not set up for drag racing only; it can open track, autocross and its street legal here in NJ.
new paint (glasurit) - electron blue. 5 coats of paint, 3 coats of clear. wetsanded.
r1 lip
r1 wing.
mazdaspeed coilovers
ssr comp wheels 17x8.5, 17x9.5.
tan leather interior, black 94 door panels and shifter console.
ST sway bar and mazdatrix links.
kaaz posi and 3.90 gears.
300M axles
3.5 exhaust, no cat.
setrab oil cooler, SS lines.
Momo non-airbag steering wheel from Japanese version rx7
no PS
no AC.
professionally converted by Hinson. about 3k miles on conversion, clutch and tranny.

I'm not sure i'm selling it yet but money talks. A 4 door car might be in my future.
I just autocrossed it last weekend:
http://www.ponycars.net/memdayax.htm
ABS wasn't working but i know now its the drivers side ABS sensor, which i just ordered from fritz.
Attached Thumbnails ls1 rx7's for sale... (?)-img_2631.jpg   ls1 rx7's for sale... (?)-img_2632.jpg   ls1 rx7's for sale... (?)-img_2633.jpg  
Old 06-06-2006 | 01:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would never buy that drift car off of craiglist, the guy is trying to sell it on rx7club also. So many shady things going on with that car and the owner. He used to want 50 grand for it...the things got a salvage title for christs sake. You can find the thread where jimlab tears him up in the third gen for sale section.
Old 06-07-2006 | 10:52 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2MCHPWR
i'd sell mine too for $31k. maybe.
your FD is awesome.
Old 06-07-2006 | 09:03 PM
jic
Staging Lane

yeah his car looks clean!

Quick Reply: ls1 rx7's for sale... (?)