Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flex-a-lite Electric Fans??

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 03:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Flex-a-lite Electric Fans??

Are the Flex-a-lite Electric Fans good quality? It's been recommended that I look at the 210 or 295 series fans for my LS6 radiator. I'm don't know how to determine the flow rate needed and if this brand will last.

Any help appreciated!!
Mike R.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:14 PM
TECH Resident

I ran one on my old S-10 Blazer it was great and when one of the motors went bad they replaced it under warranty with a new fan.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have one on my car (the 195, I think) and I've had no cooling problems. Detroit weather is far different from Vegas, so your cooling requirements are much greater than mine.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:46 AM
Teching In

A couple other good fans to consider would be the Volvo S80 or the Torus 2 speed fans. Great air flow at half the price...

I bought the S80 new on Ebay for $100 with the 17 x 24 inch shroud.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:38 AM
8 Second Club

can you post some pics of the s80 fan? and do you happen to have the part number for it?
Old 06-07-2006, 04:36 AM
Teching In

Volvo S80 Electric Fan from eBay is $95

Fan intake side

Fan output side

The money shot

Compare that last pic to the Taurus fan and you’ll be sold too.

Very similar in looks to the Taurus Fan, I got this one simply because the shroud seemed to be a little bit wider and fit my radiator better (27.5x16). The Taurus Fan (either 1-speed or 2-speed or any other similar fan) could easily be substituted here. The Volvo fan shroud is 17" tall and 24” wide without mounting tabs and 3" to 3.750” deep at the shaft of the motor. It’s stock on models V70, S60, S80, & S70. The 1994/95 Taurus/Sable Fans seem to be the most similar to the one that I used. The 1991-1993 Taurus/Sable Fans appear to be the same thing with just a different shroud and separate high and low speed wires.

The Delta FK-35 controller is something to consider. I know that by changing the speed of the fan depending on the difference in temperature of the coolant versus the desired temperature is MUCH better than a simple cycling of "ON" and "OFF" to maintain temperature. This allows for a "soft start" with low amperage draw at startup. The controller can also be hooked up w/ an AC lead that keeps the speed at a minimum of 50%, and can also be hooked up to continue to cool after the ignition is off if desired. It comes preset for a control temperature of 180*, and other selectable temperatures are 158*, 166*, 194*, and 202*. The kit that I purchased comes w/ the controller, the heat sensor, all wiring, and instructions w/ illustrations. The controller can be mounted anywhere up by the firewall w/ the supplied wiring. It's about the size of a deck of cards. It's also a sealed unit.

Soft start fan controller is $109.

http://www.dccontrol.com/

Old 06-07-2006, 09:06 AM
Launching!

I went to the Delta Current Control web site and they have an "integral fan" that should take care of my needs just fine. 24" wide dual 12" fans, up to 3400 cfm at full fan speed, with an intregal speed controller. Mount the fans, hook up the two power wires, insert the included temperature sensor into the radiator fins, done. It's expensive, $365, but would be about the same as the Flex-a-lite 210 ($240) with a speed controller ($110).

http://www.dccontrol.com/
Old 06-12-2006, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Question

Red Baron is the volvo fan a pusher or a puller? Thanks John
Old 06-12-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Regular

Better to go with two smaller fans as that is what the LS1 originally had. Most of the time you only need one fan and the current draw is less than a big single.
2500 CFM is a good place to start.
Most new cars have dual fans and the OEM ones are cheap on ebay if you can find the right shroud dimensions.
SPAL are the best aftermarket but I'm going with the flex-a-lite dual 12" for my setup as they are almost $100 cheaper.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:51 PM
Teching In

i have a 210. i can put my hand on front of the grill of my car and feel the thing pulling air. and thats with an intercooler in the way.

Bit of money, but i never worry about not being able to cool enough.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

I used the Taurus fan and wired the low and high speed with relays and is working fine
Old 06-13-2006, 10:20 AM
TECH Resident

I still have the Flex-a-lite 210 from my old Blazer I'm thinking about getting the VSC and putting it on my '03 Blazer X. Besides it'll give me an excuse to get the sheet metal barake I've been wanting. This is gonna be a bad summer down here in FL and that damn clutch fan is allways engaged.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lechner80
Red Baron is the volvo fan a pusher or a puller? Thanks John
It's puller, and a good one at that.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by firefighter
I still have the Flex-a-lite 210 from my old Blazer I'm thinking about getting the VSC and putting it on my '03 Blazer X. Besides it'll give me an excuse to get the sheet metal barake I've been wanting. This is gonna be a bad summer down here in FL and that damn clutch fan is allways engaged.
That 210 will fit my Mercedes radiator. If you're interested in getting rid of it, please let me know.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:40 PM
TECH Resident

Will do. But I'll prolly get around to putting it on this summer after I get sick of listening to the clutch fan.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by firefighter
Will do. But I'll prolly get around to putting it on this summer after I get sick of listening to the clutch fan.
OK, that's fine. I'll need a fan in a couple of months so if I haven't heard from you, I'll go get a new one. My LS6 engine is in Las Vegas finally and I'll have it in my garage within a couple of weeks, but I'm a LONG way away from putting it into the car. Just ordered a rack-n-pinion steering assembly to replace the Mercedes recirculating ball & gear, and that has to go in first so I can figure out which oil pan will work on the LS6 (front sump or rear) so I can figure out motor / tranny mounts ....... the list is endless at this point!!

One of these days I'll be ready to put the radiator back in it and fans would be nice to have at that time.

By the way, great looking Blazer.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks on the compliment it looks a lil better now I need to update that schizz. But I can really relate on the endless list of mods.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I HAD a set of Flex-a-Lite 282s on my Suburban. The fuse and wiring was recalled, but I didn't know until it melted down, and let me overheat. Then the VSC (Variable Speed Controller) melted down (after causing SERIOUS battery drain, WELL past the 28a it 's supposed to have) I mean LITERALLY melted down, and almost caught my truck on fire. They said, "yeah you must have one of the old VSCs. They do that! You never registered it with us, so we can't warranty it, but we'll sell you a new one for cheap!" I had to argue with them JUST to match Summit's price on the VSC. It's on eBay now, and a mechanical fan is back on my truck.
Sorry for the rant! Point is, NO FLEX-A-LITE!!!
Old 06-14-2006, 10:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 30th TA 0219
--snip--
They said, "yeah you must have one of the old VSCs. They do that! You never registered it with us, so we can't warranty it, but we'll sell you a new one for cheap!" I had to argue with them JUST to match Summit's price on the VSC. It's on eBay now, and a mechanical fan is back on my truck.
Sorry for the rant! Point is, NO FLEX-A-LITE!!!
OK, so much for Flex-a-lite. I was kinda leaning toward the Delta dual fans with the electronic controls since they'll move almost another 1,000 cfm than the F-A-L 210's and, with your input, Delta it is. I'm very interested in getting a lot of cooling since it does get somewhat past HOT in Las Vegas in the summertime and I don't want to cook an LS6!!

Thanks,
Mike R.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

out of the pile of fans ive baught the black magic flexalite is by far the best. On a procharged BBC ran fine, now on my turbo LS1 and runs fine.

Quick Reply: Flex-a-lite Electric Fans??