Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80e GURU's I have a question for you..

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 01:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4L80e GURU's I have a question for you..

This is the return line fitting for the tranny cooler on my '99 4L80e.

I want to run a braided flex/line style setup to and from the transmission.. I was wondering if anyone has found a suitable replacement that converts over to an AN style setup.. The little extra part thats to the right of the threads is req'd or I'd just get an aeroquip style fitting and screw it in.

I didnt know if there was any replacement part out yet or if anyone has seen/used anything different.

Any help is appreciated..
Old 06-10-2006, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had some 90 degree fittings installed on mine. It has a female threaded hole that I found a fitting for. I assume you could get a male to male adapter then use a standard AN fitting. Might want to call some of the trans sponsors on here to see if they stock something.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Default fitting

swagelok has a compression fitting that you can install on the hardline stub and it is a changeover to a.n. go to there web and find a local dealer mine cost me 10.00 each
Old 06-12-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

The little extra bit that sticks out is very important. It is the lube feed to the rear planetaries. And, the thread isn't tapered (its not NPT) it is straight thread. Installing a tapered thread adapter might break the case.

I'm swapping in an 80E myself, and going with braided lines. I just decided to make my own fittings. Got some 3/4" hex SS barstock, fired up my old 9" South Bend Lathe, and started making chips. I probably should have used the time for something else, but its been good to remember how to make chips, cut threads, get decent surface finishes, etc.

The adapter fittings would probably be easier, but I didn't have a good chunk of factory tubing with the quick connect in place, mine were all mangled.

If I recall correctly, Sonnex has a fitting setup that relocates from the forward position to the late model rear position, which might work well if you've already got braided lines on your 700R4 setup. Might be worth checking in to.

'JustDreamin'
Old 06-12-2006, 12:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JustDreamin
The little extra bit that sticks out is very important. It is the lube feed to the rear planetaries. And, the thread isn't tapered (its not NPT) it is straight thread. Installing a tapered thread adapter might break the case.

I'm swapping in an 80E myself, and going with braided lines. I just decided to make my own fittings. Got some 3/4" hex SS barstock, fired up my old 9" South Bend Lathe, and started making chips. I probably should have used the time for something else, but its been good to remember how to make chips, cut threads, get decent surface finishes, etc.

The adapter fittings would probably be easier, but I didn't have a good chunk of factory tubing with the quick connect in place, mine were all mangled.

If I recall correctly, Sonnex has a fitting setup that relocates from the forward position to the late model rear position, which might work well if you've already got braided lines on your 700R4 setup. Might be worth checking in to.

'JustDreamin'

Yeah, Myclone sent me a deal about the conversion deal that Sonnax makes.. I gotta order some other stuff so I prolly just order that too.. Would be nice if there was something setup tho that I could just screw in and go.. I dont have braided lines on the Ty now, I want to run a remote style with a fan and eliminate the Radiator connection altogether.. Any chance ya want to turn out a couple more fittings ?? Heheheehe
Old 06-12-2006, 12:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ls67
swagelok has a compression fitting that you can install on the hardline stub and it is a changeover to a.n. go to there web and find a local dealer mine cost me 10.00 each

Im interested in this as well however I am not 100% certain exactly what you are referring to.. Any pics or links handy ?
Old 06-12-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tydriver
Any chance ya want to turn out a couple more fittings ?? Heheheehe
I need to get the ones I'm working on done before I'll commit to ones for others. Got to remember how to set up the lathe for cutting screw threads. I think there's a 29 degree angle involved somewhere in there.....

'JustDreamin'
Old 06-12-2006, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JustDreamin
I need to get the ones I'm working on done before I'll commit to ones for others. Got to remember how to set up the lathe for cutting screw threads. I think there's a 29 degree angle involved somewhere in there.....

'JustDreamin'
it is the degree the compound slide is set at.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I know......I was mostly joking around. But glad to know there are some other folks out there who have some idea as to how to run a lathe.

'JustDreamin'
Old 06-12-2006, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,441 Likes on 909 Posts

That looks like a straight thread o-ring fitting. I would try a -4 AN union with an o-ring on one side. It could also be metric. Go to the hardware store and see if you can find out what size the threads are.

Andrew
Old 06-13-2006, 08:58 AM
TECH Resident

I'm making these fittings for my truck, so I've done some measuring.

The fitting into the trans is 1/4" - 18 straight pipe thread (OD is .518") with an o-ring to seal it up. The -6AN threaded section is 9/16"-18 thread. Bore on a -6AN fitting is about .295". Normal transmission lines are 5/16" OD steel (.312) but I don't know the ID or wall thickness, so its difficult to compare. -4AN would be too small and would pose a flow restriction.

And, to re-iterate what was posted earlier, the extension isn't there for looks. It directs the cool fluid returning from the cooler into the inside of the transmission, where it cools the planetaries (which is where most of the heat is). From what I understand from two different transmission builders is failure to use a fitting with the extension will result in transmission failure (not immediately but it will fail prematurely because lube doesn't get to where it is needed most).

'JustDreamin'
Old 06-13-2006, 02:24 PM
FormerVendor

Instead of making a new fitting, I've used an AN fitting that I drilled out and pressed a short piece of tubing into. It only takes a few minutes on a lathe.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

You could buy the sonnax fitting that goes in there and has the stub, then thread a 5/16th line into the fitting and then get a fitting from aeroquip that goes from 5/16th tubing to -6AN line.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Kevin Winstead
Instead of making a new fitting, I've used an AN fitting that I drilled out and pressed a short piece of tubing into. It only takes a few minutes on a lathe.
I thought about that, but most all of the AN fittings I've seen are NPT (the T standing for Tapered) not straight thread like the factory fitting. I don't like the idea of potentially splitting the transmission case (maybe it won't hurt it but I don't like the risk).

'JustDreamin'
Old 06-14-2006, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Default adapter

Originally Posted by Tydriver
Im interested in this as well however I am not 100% certain exactly what you are referring to.. Any pics or links handy ?
It is just an adapter simular to the male to male adapter that someone posted above but on one end it will have a ferrell and nut instead of the male a.n. then you just slide the nut and ferrell over the hard line and then the adapter tighten it down and you are good to go I have used these many times over the years on tranny lines and have never had a problem with them.

I did not take pics of them but if you will just call swagelok and tell them the size of male a.n. (probably 6) and the size of hard line that you want to connect to (probably 10mm or 3/8 just mic it and give them the poop) they will set you up. if you have a decent auto parts store they should have a bin full of adapters or you can go to hose shop they should have them or could get them

Last edited by ls67; 06-14-2006 at 12:25 PM. Reason: forgot a to mention a step
Old 06-21-2006, 07:45 PM
Launching!

Well, I broke down and ordered the Line Relocation Kit from Sonnax, (retrofits the newer case style to the older fluid line setup where both lines are up front) I dont need most of it, but it does have the ever so important fitting. If anyone has a connection at Sonnax, get them to sell just the fitting !!

Old 06-21-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

do you have the part # for that kit?
Old 06-21-2006, 08:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 350SS
do you have the part # for that kit?
Yep Sorry I didnt post it earlier..

Its a SONNAX Kit 34918-01k

I ordered mine from www.transmissionpartsusa.com I've ordered alot of stuff from them and they seem to offer the best selection as well as the lowest prices..

Their invoice shows the following part # 400-03491801k and its priced at $23.92

Old 10-13-2008, 03:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know if the adapter fitting is for sale separately yet?
Old 10-13-2008, 07:19 AM
FormerVendor

We're working on these now. Should have something in stock in 3 weeks or so.
It's a 1/4" Straight pipe thread to #6AN. I'll post the part number and cost as soon as they're in stock.

Quick Reply: 4L80e GURU's I have a question for you..