Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electronic throttle woes... need some help

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006 | 09:23 PM
On The Tree

Default Electronic throttle woes... need some help

Ok, first off... I have a 99 vette PCM, a new TAC module, new wiring harness from Speartech, and Vette accel. pedal. Everything is wired how it should be. My question is, can you "bench test" the harness, PCM, and electronic throttle system to ensure everything works (i.e. push the pedal and the TB blade moves)? Or will it not allow the TB servo to do anything because the TB servo just gets power and thats it... won't move with the pedal at all.

Shouldn't the TB still move if the PCM, pedal, and TAC are all powered and wired correctly if the harness is only hooked up to these items? Thanks

Scott
Old 06-13-2006 | 07:55 AM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Yes, you can "bench test" the system that way. As long as you hook up the pedal, pedal harness, TAC module, PCM, battery power, ignition power, and ground, the throttle should work as designed. If not, you probably have a bad component.

Since ALL harnesses are tested here on a running engine before delivery, you can be confident that part is good!

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com
Old 06-14-2006 | 03:29 PM
On The Tree

KP,
I didn't know you can bench test it either. I have the same set up as yours. I will check it out later and let you know what I find. You should keep me on your mailing list hehe.. We will probably be emailing each other more often ..
Old 06-14-2006 | 09:00 PM
On The Tree

I never once doubted your harness John As soon as I opened the box I knew it was perfect. I guess I need to figure out how to check each component to see if it is functioning properly now. I also realized that there are more pins to/from the PCM that I will need for some gauge functions
Old 06-14-2006 | 10:43 PM
On The Tree

I used the stock harness. I slowly went thru the wiring harness and understand which wire is used for what. Then I cut out what I don't need and label all the wires that I will be wired into my car like the left turn signal, right turn signal, seat belt, hand brake ..etc. So far I can't get the emergency blinker to work, that is to get both left and right signal to turn on at the same time. I think all I need is an external relay to turn both of the blinkers on when I turn on the emergency hazard light on from my car.

The other problem I have is the fuel gauge which you already know. Other than a few messages from missing modules everything on the gauge works. Let me know if you need any help. I will do the same. Good luck

PS. I have the pin layout for the IPC on my web site. Hope that helps you out.
Old 06-15-2006 | 10:14 AM
On The Tree

KP,
I check the manual about the cluster's background lights. There are 2 white (WHT) wires going to the Instrument Cluster. One is for the RPM (A17) and the other is the input from the headlight (A3), 12V input. A3 is the one you want to hook it to your light switch in the car? According to the manual the other end of the rheostat (check spelling) is going to the grey wire which is the DLC. I am assuming the DLC wire is used to dim the rest of the interior lights in the car. I will try to hook it up later on today and will let you know my finding.

I have a power supply with current surge protected and I am using that to check out all my wirings. This is to make sure if I shorted something it won't fry something up. hehe.
Old 06-24-2006 | 11:08 AM
On The Tree

Will the VAT's cause the problem I was having with the ETC? The PCM was a stock pull-out of a 99 vette (not programmed at all). Just curious if this would cause my problem. I get the programmed PCM back next week so I guess I will find out.
Old 06-24-2006 | 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kpforce1
Will the VAT's cause the problem I was having with the ETC? The PCM was a stock pull-out of a 99 vette (not programmed at all). Just curious if this would cause my problem. I get the programmed PCM back next week so I guess I will find out.

On mine... VATS would interfere with the car actually running. It would fire and immediately die.

My H2 is ETC... and I can turn the key on and test throttle function. I can take the intake elbow off and see it work. I'd expect yours to operate similarly.

Did you have the grounds all connected too? In my early PCM testing I forgot a couple on mine
Old 06-24-2006 | 11:51 AM
On The Tree

Well, I have a speartech harness that has one ground... so I don't think thats the problem. They bench test all of their harnesses on a running motor too.
Old 06-25-2006 | 03:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kpforce1
Well, I have a speartech harness that has one ground... so I don't think thats the problem. They bench test all of their harnesses on a running motor too.

I meant I forgot to connect them...

Quick Reply: Electronic throttle woes... need some help