Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cj7 Finally On It's Way

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006 | 01:44 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JeepinBash
man seein a third gen motor in a jeep really gets me pumped. i'm about to drop 425 horse ls1 into my lil' TJ in a few months and seeing posts like this one makes me feel at ease because from right here it seems like a massive project but i know in the end all the hard work will be well worth it.
425, did you say 425, that unreal!! TJ's also have many drop in stuff ready to go. As for the start, yes it is a lot in the beginning. Just take it one step at a time. Like you said it is WELL worth it in the end. I can't say how much we enjoy it.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Cj7 Finally On It's Way-dsc02982.jpg  
Old 08-02-2006 | 09:32 AM
On The Tree

What kind of gas mileage are you getting Power On, assuming you ever get out of the pedal
Old 08-03-2006 | 02:32 AM
On The Tree

well 425 might be a bit optimistic. i mean there are guys on the board here, from what i can tell, that get about 400 to the wheels with a similarly built motor. so maybe 425 at the crank?? i dont know just a guess.
Old 08-03-2006 | 06:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jeepinpete
What kind of gas mileage are you getting Power On, assuming you ever get out of the pedal
Still on my first full tank. Just enjoying it and haven't calculated it yet. Seems like it's a engine pushing it's self. Don't take much peddle to move it, like the RPM is about 1200 most of the time. On the other hand, like I said step it and the tires are spinning!
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Cj7 Finally On It's Way-dsc03003.jpg  
Old 08-03-2006 | 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by POWER ON
Still on my first full tank. Just enjoying it and haven't calculated it yet. Seems like it's a engine pushing it's self. Don't take much peddle to move it, like the RPM is about 1200 most of the time. On the other hand, like I said step it and the tires are spinning!
Thanks
Nice

What size tires, gears do you have? have any external pics of the Jeep?
Old 08-05-2006 | 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SmokingWS6
Nice

What size tires, gears do you have? have any external pics of the Jeep?
3:31 with 31x12.50 PRO COMP A/T's.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Cj7 Finally On It's Way-dsc03017.jpg  
Old 08-05-2006 | 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Haha, there's no road or trail that thing won't be able to handle now. Great job.
Old 08-06-2006 | 01:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteStripes
Haha, there's no road or trail that thing won't be able to handle now. Great job.
ummm.......

your right about the road part, but uhhhhh not quite on the trail part.
dont get me wrong here i like the guys jeep but 31's wont get you too far off the paved roads.

especially if its not locked.
Old 08-06-2006 | 02:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JeepinBash
ummm.......

your right about the road part, but uhhhhh not quite on the trail part.
dont get me wrong here i like the guys jeep but 31's wont get you too far off the paved roads.

especially if its not locked.
This is for my wife to do her Sunday driving and occasional cruzing on the sand down the beach. Bigger is not always better, off the paved road in the sand this set up will keep up with the best. Wide and not too aggressive thread is the key to staying on top of the sand. LSD is all we need being on the pavement most of the time.
Thanks
Old 08-06-2006 | 03:30 PM
Teching In

I plan on putting a LS1 into my 1986 CJ-7...I intend to use a NV4500 5 speed behind it and the stock Dana 300 behind that. Your conversion looks real nice (your wife must love it). Where did you get the engine and how much did you pay for it? I know you have probably answered this question already but as you can see by my number of posts I am new to this website. How tricky was the wiring? Did you have someone re-program the computer? Finally did you have to change the fuel rails? I read somewhere that these motors were set up to use only one fuel line (what about the return??) Thanks in advance and once again NICE JOB!!
Old 08-06-2006 | 06:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FATTCJ7
I plan on putting a LS1 into my 1986 CJ-7...I intend to use a NV4500 5 speed behind it and the stock Dana 300 behind that. Your conversion looks real nice (your wife must love it). Where did you get the engine and how much did you pay for it? I know you have probably answered this question already but as you can see by my number of posts I am new to this website. How tricky was the wiring? Did you have someone re-program the computer? Finally did you have to change the fuel rails? I read somewhere that these motors were set up to use only one fuel line (what about the return??) Thanks in advance and once again NICE JOB!!
Thanks for the props, the engine and trans was out of a 2002 Z71 4X4. I had the whole truck from a local auction. As for the wiring, if you have time and patiences to read wiring diagrams than it's not that hard. The PCM needs to be re-flashed to what you will be doing with the engine. The fuel rail on this model has two lines, pressure and return. And yes me and my wife loves to drive it!
Thanks
Old 08-15-2006 | 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

Default Intake

Finally got the intake setup. 4" all the way. It's running smoother as the days go by. More to come.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Cj7 Finally On It's Way-dsc03025.jpg  
Old 08-16-2006 | 04:23 PM
On The Tree

That jeep looks sweet. Do you know if AA sells a kit to adapt a 4L80E? I have a new 7.0L that I just got in and I have two trans to to choose from 4L60E is the other. As far as the transfer case, did you use the GMs or the JEEPs? Sorry for all the questions, Im knew to the Jeep world. Thank you for your time.
Old 08-25-2006 | 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

Dash is done. LED's on panel for indications. Tach is sideways to see 1000-5000 rpm from drivers side. Horizontal shift indicator from Lokar.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Cj7 Finally On It's Way-dsc03026.jpg  
Old 08-25-2006 | 04:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

That looks great. The truck engines are a snakes nest of wires, aren't they.What fans are those, model number please. How thick at the fattest point? I need a set like that for my S10 Blazer.They look pretty thin. Just got back from the Chevy Dealer in Town, The service manager asked me a **** load of questions while he printed me out a 1/4 inch thick stack of shematics and pinouts.Told me to bring it by when done. Also said somebody in my towns putting an LS1 in an old Nova. Anybody here live in Dover Arkansas? Hopefully this weekend will get the wiring done and my exhaust on. Glad to see its running good.
Old 08-25-2006 | 05:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by eagleuh1
That looks great. The truck engines are a snakes nest of wires, aren't they.What fans are those, model number please. How thick at the fattest point? I need a set like that for my S10 Blazer.They look pretty thin. Just got back from the Chevy Dealer in Town, The service manager asked me a **** load of questions while he printed me out a 1/4 inch thick stack of shematics and pinouts.Told me to bring it by when done. Also said somebody in my towns putting an LS1 in an old Nova. Anybody here live in Dover Arkansas? Hopefully this weekend will get the wiring done and my exhaust on. Glad to see its running good.
As a matter of fact, I do.

Last edited by LS1MCSS; 08-25-2006 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-25-2006 | 07:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by eagleuh1
The wires are scary in the start but the diagrams help alot. What size is that engine you got going? The fan is a Flex-a-lite model FLX-210 and is about 2.625" at the most. We love driving it!!
Thanks
Old 09-09-2006 | 11:12 AM
Teching In

Power on, your JEEP looks AWSOME I'am doing same converson was wondering what drive shaft you used ? my driveshaft rubs the trans. pan I have 4l60e trans with "deep" pan aprox. 2 inchs deep have been told there is a trans pan that is shallower . Not sure if this will help ? I'am running d-300 t-case. Do not want to run driveshaft with carrier bearing if do'nt have to. Thank you for your help HUMJ7.
Old 09-09-2006 | 01:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HUMJ7
Power on, your JEEP looks AWSOME I'am doing same converson was wondering what drive shaft you used ? my driveshaft rubs the trans. pan I have 4l60e trans with "deep" pan aprox. 2 inchs deep have been told there is a trans pan that is shallower . Not sure if this will help ? I'am running d-300 t-case. Do not want to run driveshaft with carrier bearing if do'nt have to. Thank you for your help HUMJ7.
HUMJ7, I used AA Adapters for the swap. It called for moving the engine and trans about a inch to the drivers side. The engine mounts have 1" spaced holes so you can move it side to side. Just had to mod the transfer case cross member holes 1" over also. It just clears the trans pan with the stock shaft but works great. If it's like my set up, I think the deep pan will still work.
Thanks
Old 09-17-2006 | 09:48 AM
Teching In

POWER ON, Do you know manufacturer and part# for the nice stanlless oil presure line you have ? Same ? about fitting for water temp gauge in the block . The tapped hole in the head is 12mm I believe . Temp sending unit is 1/4 pipe thread.
Thank you for your help HUMJ7

Quick Reply: Cj7 Finally On It's Way