Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 240sx Hit the dyno today.... Its all Done!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 07:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slo_240sx
Thanks for the great comments everyone! The car is an absolute dream to drive, its well worth its gas money even thought with the tune it gets great gas milage. Too be totally honest, I try to get races on Woodward and 95% of the people won't even race. Not even the muscle. One encounter where I made a 2nd gen T/A look like a Uego and he says "Thad dun sound like no fo' Cylinder!" My friend says its a 6 and he said "hell no it aint!". I love terrorising the streets.

275's will work on a 15x8, they bow out but gave me awesome traction on the streets when I was running the BFG drag radial. I liked the bow look anyway, makes it look more beefy. here is a pic of my old car with 15x8 5.5 BS on a 240.

Duke, believe it or not those are ebay racing seats. They cost me 260 shipped. They have universal sliders and I had to make customs brackets that welded to the floor.

Plans for the car later on will be a mini tub with a Ford 9" so I can hook it all (with help from my friend Crazee240sx ) and heads and cam afterwards. I want to run a 10, if I can do that I will be content for the rest of my life. Thanks again everyone and thanks to everyone that answered my questions on here! LS1Tech Rocks!!!!
Incredible, lucky you, glad to hear it is running well.
DoC
Old 06-27-2006, 10:56 PM
Teching In

I would REALLY like to come out and see it when ever its good for you. Maybe this weekend? I am having trouble with choseing what i want to do. I have a Talon TSI turbo AWD i could fix up, but im really leaning towards an LS1 hybrid. Seeing your car, and all the craftsman ship and work it takes, plus hearing it etc, will really help me clear my mind. Your not far away so I thought i might be able to come check it out. Its up to you, and when ever your free. If not i totally understand. What do ya say?
Old 06-27-2006, 11:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You wanna make it a real sleeper?

Put a nice body kit on it, nothing ricy just a nice one and people will think its got a SR or RB at the most.

And most V8 guys will walk past it thinking its another slow nice looking ricer...
Old 06-27-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow did you just register to post in this thread? I am out at Woodward and 14mile everyweekend from about 10-1am so if you can catch me there you can check it out.

DoC, thanks for the comments!
-Alex
Old 06-27-2006, 11:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much $$$ for a 240sx w/ ls1, t56, and power steering?

she wants to know

(i kinda do too..)
Old 06-27-2006, 11:51 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

(slackware from xceed)

Havnt seen pictures of your car yet, looks nice. Oh yeah never even thought of that, Im good friends with the guy that bought your rb25 car. Nice ride too.

Last edited by black_box; 06-28-2006 at 12:54 AM.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:54 PM
Teching In

Yeah, heh, i registered just to post here. I was going to go to milan on friday but i'd rather check out your car. However, i dont wanna drive an hour just to find out it was a waste (because you werent there), i dont make much money and im driving a piece right now.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:54 AM
On The Tree

this thread is great, im into drifting to www.driftfun.com is me and my friends site, lots of vids and pics. Im trying to decide between an RX7 FC and a 240sx, anyone who know about a good LS1 buildup site for 240sx? did you use an GTO Oil pan ? did you have to cut the tunnel other than where the shifter comes up?
Old 06-28-2006, 01:27 AM
Staging Lane

loooks good
Old 06-28-2006, 09:52 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Hersker Hans
Im trying to decide between an RX7 FC and a 240sx,
the FC rx7 is a very simple LS1 swap. I think the FC will be less expensive than the 240sx for a comparable setup.

you can buy LS1 headers for the FC for less than $700, or DIY longtubes for under $350 (BBK ford 5.0)
its easy to find an FC with awesome brakes (5 lug, aluminum front 4-piston calipers, rear vented rotors) for cheap compared to finding inexpensive 300zx/skyline brake parts for a 240sx
there are no subframe mods needed to fit the LS1 into an FC
the FC swap is well documented
there are several methods to save money on the buildup... but some of this is info applicablle to both swaps.

I guess there isnt a big cost difference but the FC can often be a little less money for a better performing car... but it probably depends on what kind of donor car/shell you can find in your area to start the project with... some cities have highly modded 240's all over the place selling for dirt cheap, other cities have non-running 5-lug FC's for practically free.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by owen v8litew8
the FC rx7 is a very simple LS1 swap. I think the FC will be less expensive than the 240sx for a comparable setup.

you can buy LS1 headers for the FC for less than $700, or DIY longtubes for under $350 (BBK ford 5.0)
its easy to find an FC with awesome brakes (5 lug, aluminum front 4-piston calipers, rear vented rotors) for cheap compared to finding inexpensive 300zx/skyline brake parts for a 240sx
there are no subframe mods needed to fit the LS1 into an FC
the FC swap is well documented
there are several methods to save money on the buildup... but some of this is info applicablle to both swaps.

I guess there isnt a big cost difference but the FC can often be a little less money for a better performing car... but it probably depends on what kind of donor car/shell you can find in your area to start the project with... some cities have highly modded 240's all over the place selling for dirt cheap, other cities have non-running 5-lug FC's for practically free.
thanks for the info, I friend wants to sell me his FC minus the engine and gearbox for around 1200$, for the same price i can get a working 240sx, but im leaning abit towards building an FC.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

An FC will be much cheaper to build and will have less fabrication because its already been pioneered. I, as well as Ken and Hinson are pretty much the only people to have LS1 swapped 240's and I dont even if Ken's is on the road yet. Like Owen said the FC has been numerous times. No xmember mods because its already front steer.

Hans, There are no sites for 240 builds because theres only a handful of us that have them. Shifter went right in, sits a little forward but I'm happy.

Blackbox, that is awesome. How is he doing? Did he upgrade that turbo yet or do anything else? I ran into him on Woodward, it still looked great.

Thanks to everyone else for the comments. Its gonna be fast by the end if winter!!
-Alex
Old 06-28-2006, 07:39 PM
Teching In

its not fast already?!
Old 06-29-2006, 08:10 AM
Teching In

do you ever go out to telegraph rd? I guess the do alot of "racing" at like 1-3am
Old 06-29-2006, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Nice work!! great dyno numbers...I'd be very happy to make those numbers...I like the way you ran the exhaust...have you run it at the track yet?
Old 06-30-2006, 06:35 AM
Teching In

go to milan tonight
Old 07-02-2006, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Excellent fabrication work Alex. Looks like the car runs really good now, sounds good too.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Francis. Your car is crazy fast. It looked good the other night on Woodward. Give me another season when I have H/C, Ford 9" and spray, then we'll race
-Alex
Old 07-09-2006, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Quick lil update:

Cruisin Woodward for a good hard half hour and pulled over... Sounds like I spun a bearing. Not noticeable at an idle then when I start to rev it I can hear a knock. I believe I spun a rod bearing. I'm broke, but I'm going to have to fix it.

New main, rod and cam bearings w ARP studs/bolts. New piston rings. Hand port the heads, new gaskets, bigger cam and stronger valve springs and a new oil pump. I wish I could put a forged bottom end in it but I have barely any money to do that. Anyone have any good tips and advice I should think about while refreshening the engine?
Old 07-10-2006, 01:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Slo_240sx
Quick lil update:

Cruisin Woodward for a good hard half hour and pulled over... Sounds like I spun a bearing. Not noticeable at an idle then when I start to rev it I can hear a knock. I believe I spun a rod bearing. I'm broke, but I'm going to have to fix it.

New main, rod and cam bearings w ARP studs/bolts. New piston rings. Hand port the heads, new gaskets, bigger cam and stronger valve springs and a new oil pump. I wish I could put a forged bottom end in it but I have barely any money to do that. Anyone have any good tips and advice I should think about while refreshening the engine?
sure you didnt bend a pushrod? its easier to check to, and has a knocking sound to it. did you overrevv? Could you put out some more pictures of youre enginebay, and some pictures from underneath and maybe the tunnel? have any build up pictures. Really interested in this conversion. PM me if you consider selling you car. Youre probably a bit like me, when youre done with a project you want to start on a new one .

Quick Reply: LS1 240sx Hit the dyno today.... Its all Done!