Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 240sx Hit the dyno today.... Its all Done!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 10:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How was the wiring/electronics?

I've been toying with this idea for a while, but have been nervous about getting into it because of the electronics.

I have an 89 coupe that I was running a KA-T tuned to about 8 lbs. Anyway, I blew the headgasket and overheated the sh-- out of it. Rather than go back to another KA, I'd love to stick a LS1 in it. Aside from the mechanical clearance issues (crossmember, tunnel, headers), how did you go about controlling the LS1? I'm assuming that you used the ECU and engine harness from the donor? Were there any hurdles in doing so? You said that it had been tuned wrong (in limp mode)... can you provide any other details on that? After installing the engine and connecting it to the new ECU, what programming mods were required? How did you get your gauges to talk to the new ECU? Sorry for all the questions... please direct me to a buildsite (if available) that provides some of the details that can help a brother out who is just starting to get serious about spending the time and money on a project like this!

Sam

Old 07-22-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool stuff dude...in traffic, i would be the sap you destroy and leave in bhewilderment lol
Old 07-22-2006, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, that's impressive. Looks great man, all the work seems top notch.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Scorean, the wiring is actually straight forward in doing the swap. And yes, he used the eninge harness and ecu from the donor motor/ trans. The initial ecu problem was a mail order ecu type deal. it was just flashed poorly. You will need to delete VATS, o2's, egr, etc. The speedo and tach aren't working as of now. I'll let Alex talk about any hurdles he ran into.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

Have you been able to find out what happened with the motor?
Old 07-25-2006, 09:40 PM
Teching In

spun bearing
Old 07-28-2006, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

would alex be willing to do a more detailed write up about the swap ie.wireing,mounts etc.? I just picked up a coupe and im looking at getting my ls1 soon..Any info would be great....

Im going to be using hinson install kit and headers from shock drifting,dont know who makes them...

Car looks sick bro.......

Ax
Old 07-29-2006, 09:49 AM
TECH Resident

Beautiful work and great car!

I think you'll pick up more power and much more torque with a better flowing muffler, like Magnaflow, and an X crossover. Looks like you have plenty of room to do it. Not criticism by any means - I'm just a big X guy.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the comments guys! I did find out what happened, it spun the number 1 bearing. The crank journal was pretty hit. I had it sent out to my local parts store that has a machine shop to get milled. They out source a guy that comes in and does just cranks. Well, he thought he had it set and walked away and it milled a groove into the crank so hes getting me a new one

My best friend has work done to all of his V8's by a guy who has a machine shop in his garage. He asked him if he had done work to any LS1's. So now the block is getting new cam bearings, a hone and deck job. Futher speaking to him he brought up a story of how he just screwed up a LS1 crank... Yes its the same guy who comes if for the parts store, haha! He said he was Sorry.

The wiring is VERY straight forward. Its the same in this vehicle as it is in any other vehicle. Look in the swap FAQ for refferences. The bench tune I got was screwed. I had Matt @ Monkey Wrench do diagnostics on it and retune it. He said the VE tables were wayyy off and that he had turned on Boost management? I have no clue but it ran great afterwards. As for gauges, Dakota Digital converters. They convert any tach/speedo signal to any gauge.

So now the engine is going to be built. Very big cam, Patriot gold springs, ported heads and so forth. Shooting for 400+WHP. With a back half and a 4-link setup shooting for 1.4 60's and atleast a 10.99 pass in a 2,600 LB car. Thanks for the comments again guys!
-Alex
Old 10-26-2006, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

Alex, did you get your motor back together yet?
Old 11-22-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Alex,

That down turned exhaust looks sweet! Wish I could be there to hear that rumble when you get it going again.

What did you have to keep your stock 240 ECU for? What won't work without it?
Old 02-08-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

From the Graveyard... Got a huge update and great progress on the car. I've been sleeping on this forum because I've been so busy at work. Well I didnt die so here are some pics. You guys knew I spun a bearing, so I rebuilt the motor with some go-fast goodies.

Got the bottom end all together here. F14 Cam, LS2 chain, Lingenfelter oil pump and front cover is on. LS7 Lifters, Ported heads, Flycut Pistons and Xtreme Rings.

I plastigaged everything, got the block honed, crank ground and got the right bearings in, gapped the rings, ARP'ed the main stuff... It came out great.

It made 410HP/377TQ. IT WAS also let off early on the dyno because I was away on Vacation and my Tuner didnt know I had TR pushrods. Went back to the Dyno and made another 20HP taking it up 1.5k more.

I finally Picked up my Solid rearend. Its a Ford 8.8 out of an Explorer, toughest from the factory with 31 Spline axles, LSD and disc brakes. I'm going to be welding the axle tubes since they like to spin inside the housing, and I'm going to be narrowing it to fit under the S13 body.

New backhalf project! I will begin to tear it down this weekend. I was driving it for a while during winter because it was nice out then we got hit with Arctic air and its 4 degrees outside right now.

Backhalf frame kit

15x10 Weld Prostars

Tires - M/T ET Streets 325/50R15

Last edited by Slo_240sx; 02-08-2007 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pics as it sits now.

Got the backend pretty much stripped and getting ready to cut it out. I have the tubs cut out just to see what kind of clearance I have for the tires. The floor will be cut out completely this weekend. Getting a nice battery box and aluminum fuel cell with a Aeromotive A1000 pump. Should pull 10's

Tubs cut out, the roll cage is really one shade, it just got pulled in from the Arctic temps so its kinda froze :x

Its was closing time at the shop so the wheels kinda got foggy too. Some paper to show you a comparison of the dish.

And what I have been procrastinating on for a longgggg time. I dished out some cash for a nice Digital Camera and I took a short Video. Just a Idle and small rev clip.

VIDEO HERE. Remember, ITS NOT MOVING ANYTIME SOON! So dont ask for burnout vids

Turn it up... Btw, cold enrichment because its not completely warm. I gotta bust my *** to stay ahead of you guys! Seems like LS1 swapped 240sx's are the new Civic

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/a...ce0180f017.htm

Thanks guys!
Old 02-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Teching In

sounds hella sweet . i could have swore your car was a coupe .. anyways looks good .
Old 02-08-2007, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

Alex, nice job. Looks great! Did you change the the crank timing gear sprocket when you used the LS2 timing chain? Ken
Old 02-08-2007, 08:18 PM
TECH Regular

ricer
Old 02-08-2007, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by the.erinyes
Alex, nice job. Looks great! Did you change the the crank timing gear sprocket when you used the LS2 timing chain? Ken
You can and should when replacing a timing chain but I didnt. I inspected the gears and they looked okay. If yours has high milage I would. If you do replace it use the special puller otherwise You'll do some damage. An LS2 chain is all you will ever really need. No need to waste money on a double roller setup. Plus an LS2 chain is only 30 bucks and will take anything you throw at it.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

More pics! I just got back yesterday from driving to Columbus to pick this crapola up. The vendor was at a swap meet and they are originally from South IN like an hour away from Louisville. We got there at 3:30 and they were ready to leave and packing up! I almost missed them by 10 minutes, WHEW! Almost spent 8 hours driving for nothing.

QA1 adjustable shocks
QA1 Race Rod Ends
Frame Kit
4 Link kit and bars

Old 02-21-2007, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

Did you hook on to the stock 240sx fuel lines? or did you install bigger lines? im working on a 200sx swap now to, ill make a thread with pictures when the engine is started.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:16 PM
12 Second Club

Very cool

Quick Reply: LS1 240sx Hit the dyno today.... Its all Done!