Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

??? Fair Price For Low Mile LS1... & T56 ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 10:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ??? Fair Price For Low Mile LS1... & T56 ???

Hi All... I'm sorry if this has been covered... I couldn't find anything.

What is a fair price for a good used low mile very complete LS1... with say... 10K miles... and maybe 30K miles?

Same for a T56...?
Old 06-16-2006, 11:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike,
The fair price for such a setup is a constantly moving target, and a lot of depends on who you are buying from and how much confidence you have that what you are being told is the truth.

It is getting harder to find sub-30K mile takeouts much anymore. There are lots of them being sold as such, but that does not mean theat they really are! If I could not see the dash light up and display the miles, then I am always skeptical about the claimed miles. Since the GTO and the C5 corvette are the only cars that have been made in the last 4 years with LS1 engines, the supply is not a plentiful as it was when there were lots of low milage Camaros and firebirds out there.

That being said, If you do find a low milage takeout that you have a high level of confidence it is real, a fair price for a complete package including a T56 should be in the $4K- $5K range. I have seen such setups sell for as little as $3k, but I would bevery suspect of the claimed low mileage on most of them that I have seen sell this low. This should be a full pullout package with all accessories, wiring, and computer. There are guys that get $6K for such setups, but I don't know where they get customers for them. I have bought extremely low milage LS2 drivetrains for just a little more than that!
If you can't see the dash light up, you can always run the VIN through Carfax, and probably find out how many miles the car had on it when it was totalled out by the insurance company.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 06-17-2006, 12:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by John McGraw
Mike,
The fair price for such a setup is a constantly moving target, and a lot of depends on who you are buying from and how much confidence you have that what you are being told is the truth.

It is getting harder to find sub-30K mile takeouts much anymore. There are lots of them being sold as such, but that does not mean theat they really are! If I could not see the dash light up and display the miles, then I am always skeptical about the claimed miles. Since the GTO and the C5 corvette are the only cars that have been made in the last 4 years with LS1 engines, the supply is not a plentiful as it was when there were lots of low milage Camaros and firebirds out there.

That being said, If you do find a low milage takeout that you have a high level of confidence it is real, a fair price for a complete package including a T56 should be in the $4K- $5K range. I have seen such setups sell for as little as $3k, but I would bevery suspect of the claimed low mileage on most of them that I have seen sell this low. This should be a full pullout package with all accessories, wiring, and computer. There are guys that get $6K for such setups, but I don't know where they get customers for them. I have bought extremely low milage LS2 drivetrains for just a little more than that!
If you can't see the dash light up, you can always run the VIN through Carfax, and probably find out how many miles the car had on it when it was totalled out by the insurance company.

Regards, John McGraw
Thanks John!! This is all good advice. I was wondering how many people might... umm... exaggerate mileage claims. If stretching the truth is the norm, then it's best to run the VIN. Can this be done with engine serial number? I have offers to sell me engines, but they're already pulled from the cars.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I paid $3500 my setup last fall. I got the LS1/T56 with all accessories, wiring harness and pcm. It all had 62,000 miles. Maybe that will give you a general idea of what a low mileage engine will cost, if you can find one.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:28 PM
Launching!

Default On par

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
I paid $3500 my setup last fall. I got the LS1/T56 with all accessories, wiring harness and pcm. It all had 62,000 miles. Maybe that will give you a general idea of what a low mileage engine will cost, if you can find one.
Thanks LS1MCSS... I guess $3K a 12k mile engine complete but with no tranny is about right then.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

I paid 4500 for a '02 LS1 from a SS camaro. 35K miles, T56 combo - came with harness, mating harness, reprogrammed pcm, hurst shifter, all accessories.

Guy's name was Lynn, and he was GREAT to deal with. He continued to support me with little odds and ends (like fuel hose fittings, etc...) during the conversion.

6 month warranty on the hardware.

The price was a little more than others, but everything went smoothly.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:58 PM
Launching!

Default Warranty and tech support

Originally Posted by 99c5vert
I paid 4500 for a '02 LS1 from a SS camaro. 35K miles, T56 combo - came with harness, mating harness, reprogrammed pcm, hurst shifter, all accessories.

Guy's name was Lynn, and he was GREAT to deal with. He continued to support me with little odds and ends (like fuel hose fittings, etc...) during the conversion.

6 month warranty on the hardware.

The price was a little more than others, but everything went smoothly.
This guy didn't say anything about a warranty nor tech support. I can only assume I'm on my own other than his guarantee that it's not DOA. I suppose that's okay though.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

you have a PM
Old 06-18-2006, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

where do you guys find this these sweet deals, im kinda thinking about swapping this combo in my 92
Old 06-18-2006, 12:57 PM
Launching!

Default Sweet deals...

Originally Posted by SSilverSSurfer
where do you guys find this these sweet deals, im kinda thinking about swapping this combo in my 92
If $4K is a sweet deal for a 12K LS1 w/ T56... someone named Brook sent me a PM after reading one of my posts.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

my friend picked one up comnplete engine, harness, tranny, pcm, kmember, and a few other misc things with 19k miles on them for $2500.
You start paying beyond $3000. you can pick up an entire LS1 car that was damaged.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:44 PM
Launching!

Default Where?

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
my friend picked one up comnplete engine, harness, tranny, pcm, kmember, and a few other misc things with 19k miles on them for $2500.
You start paying beyond $3000. you can pick up an entire LS1 car that was damaged.
Where did your friend find a 19K LS1 with trans for $2500?
Old 06-18-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I ever bought a 19K mile LS1 complete with trans and all accessories, I would never sleep worrying when the rightful owner was going to show up to claim it!

Regards, John McGraw
Old 06-18-2006, 09:45 PM
Launching!

Default It could happen...

Originally Posted by John McGraw
If I ever bought a 19K mile LS1 complete with trans and all accessories, I would never sleep worrying when the rightful owner was going to show up to claim it!

Regards, John McGraw
Hi John,

It does happen...

Did you ever watch the movie "Cast Away" with Tom Hanks? He was lost for several years, then one day part of a port-a-potty blew onto the shore and he used it as a sale to break free of his island prison. One of Hanks' lines was (paraphrased), "You never know what the next day's going to bring."

Of course... I don't want to wait five years for my LS1 to blow onto my shore
Old 06-19-2006, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

does anyone have a list of everything needed to swap into a 92 rs?
Old 06-19-2006, 01:07 AM
12 Second Club

SLightly off topic, but what's the big deal with low mileage engines? I bought my Z used with 117k on it, she's got 122k on her now and I ran a 13.5 the other night in the 1/4 mile. She works like a dream and doesn't give me any trouble at all through the abuse I put her through...and the mileage gave me a HUGE discount.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I bought a wrecked 01 Z28 A4 for $3k, Car only has 16,000 miles on it and is loaded (leather, t-tops, monsoon). I think I got a good deal
Old 06-19-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DageGuar
SLightly off topic, but what's the big deal with low mileage engines? I bought my Z used with 117k on it, she's got 122k on her now and I ran a 13.5 the other night in the 1/4 mile. She works like a dream and doesn't give me any trouble at all through the abuse I put her through...and the mileage gave me a HUGE discount.
Speaking strictly from my OWN opinion, but if I were buying a "used" motor for a project car, the lower the miles the better. No offense (as I have had many) but if the only ones I could find had 100k+ on them, I would have to factor in the cost of a rebuild for a "new" project car.......there is also a diff (at least for me) between me owning a car and putting 120k+ on it and buying one with that many miles on it...........I KNOW what I did to it/how I treated it, no clue how one I buy was taken care of (or not).........ya know?

Just not everyone's cup of tea is all.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by korndawg
I bought a wrecked 01 Z28 A4 for $3k, Car only has 16,000 miles on it and is loaded (leather, t-tops, monsoon). I think I got a good deal
You freaking robbed that deal....watch for your picture posted at the local post office.

Congrats.

(I am presuming you mean you bought the whole car for that price)
Old 06-19-2006, 11:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

I paid $3400 for and LS1/T56 pull out last fall with 60,000 verified miles on it. I considered it a good deal.

Quick Reply: ??? Fair Price For Low Mile LS1... & T56 ???