Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 11:24 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah come on man hurry up want to hear it came to life get the lead out
Old 06-29-2006, 02:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It ran... and then it died. Left me "stranded outside the garage yesterday. Won't fire since.

So... the VATS was fixed and it ran. Then it got warned up to temp and died and won't restart. When VATS was the issue it was building heat in the manifolds even though it wouldn't stay running. Now there is no heat at all.

I've checked my coils and they are all giving great spark. HP Tuners scanners shows all sensors working (MAP, MAF, IAT, Tach, crank sensor, cam sensor, O2's). The scanner also shows the injector time constants running fairly high 14-20ms. When I pull the #3 plug... its dry. When I did a compression test on that same cylinder it showed 190 peak. The fuel pump is working also.

I have no idea WTF it can be this time. Anyone got any ideas?

Last edited by CHarris; 06-29-2006 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:21 AM
Launching!

Just as an outside look, do you have a vented or non vented gas tank?
Old 06-29-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 67pete
Just as an outside look, do you have a vented or non vented gas tank?
It's a 91 vette and has the whole charcoal can vent deal that runs up front. I didn't connect it to anything though. I did just pop the cap on the tank and there was no pressure.

Since I was out there with that I also went ahead and pushed the relief on the fuel rail... mostly air with a tiny bit of fuel in the spray. I'm only seeing 20 psi at the rail now and when I hit the relief on the fp tester I'm getting a drop of fuel... not a spray.

I guess I need to take the sender and fuel pump out again and see what's happening there. It was making 60 psi last week no problem
Old 06-29-2006, 01:15 PM
Conversion master

What are you using for a pump and regulator?
Old 06-29-2006, 04:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 70 LS1
What are you using for a pump and regulator?
A Walbro 255 in-tank pump with an Aeromotive return regulator mounted in the rear by the tank.

Sorry I missed you yesterday! I did see Dog Tag out there. I was finishing up the new exhaust and looked at the clock and saw 5:30... by the time I cleaned up and made it out there it was 6:30.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:12 PM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like maybe a split in the hose where the pump attaches to the sender assembly. Get this resolved and then I think you're due for some good luck for a change.

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com
Old 06-29-2006, 07:25 PM
Conversion master

Originally Posted by CHarris
A Walbro 255 in-tank pump with an Aeromotive return regulator mounted in the rear by the tank.

Sorry I missed you yesterday! I did see Dog Tag out there. I was finishing up the new exhaust and looked at the clock and saw 5:30... by the time I cleaned up and made it out there it was 6:30.
I left about 6:30 or so. If you came in the V I think I passed by you on Bethel.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 70 LS1
I left about 6:30 or so. If you came in the V I think I passed by you on Bethel.

That was us. I'll hope to catch you next time! Did your hard work get any comments? I did notice some cars I've never seen before. I kinda liked the truck with the "Kompressor"... I wouldn't have used that particular nomenclature... but it was kinda cool seeing someone do somthing out of the ordinary!
Old 06-29-2006, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

The car runs again...

Step 1: Remove fuel tank access panel to see the pump and tank interior.
Step 2: Scratch head as pump comes out DRY... no fuel dribbles at all.
Step 3: Get flashlight to shine in tank.
Step 4: Note that tank is damn near bone dry.
Step 5: Wonder where the hell 20 gallons of fuel went when you've idle for less than 1 hour total time and not driven more than 2 miles. Wonder if I was visited in the night by siphoners when it was parked outside waiting on PCM's in the mail?
Step 6: Realize that you'll never know if you are just a dumb *** or got siphoned off of.

**** Note (that makes you feel a little better!)... That the gas guage never worked from the time it first started running... so it would have been hard to notice all your gas was disappearing. At least it works now that you've been back in the tank and wiggled everything around!

To conclude this episode... I knew it was running like crap because the pushrods were too long early this week. It had a habit of dying after it was warmed up. I attributed that to the lifter pumping up and holding the valves off the seat. That I assumed caused it to die in the driveway (it was hot).. looks like that was part of it... but not nearly all. I swapped in a set of 7.375's and it should have been all better... but still wouldn't start. It wouldn't start because it was out of gas. That explains why it wouldn't start up from cold.

I MIGHT try to drive it tomorrow... but I'm a little gun shy!
Old 06-29-2006, 10:25 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Speartech
Sounds like maybe a split in the hose where the pump attaches to the sender assembly. Get this resolved and then I think you're due for some good luck for a change.
That was what I was kinda thinking before I read to the end of the post and saw what it was. But I know for a fact that the truck 5.3L`s will run with 15psi of fuel pressure and that you can drive them home with only 15 psi too. But they run like crap and you better not push on the gas pedal much at all or it will die out. Don`t ask how I figured this out .
Old 06-29-2006, 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by G-Body
That was what I was kinda thinking before I read to the end of the post and saw what it was. But I know for a fact that the truck 5.3L`s will run with 15psi of fuel pressure and that you can drive them home with only 15 psi too. But they run like crap and you better not push on the gas pedal much at all or it will die out. Don`t ask how I figured this out .
Thats some good info, too. I figure its worth it to share the screw-ups since they will probably help someone out down the line. I know I was searching for other "won't start" threads last night
Old 06-29-2006, 10:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CHarris
The car runs again...

Step 1: Remove fuel tank access panel to see the pump and tank interior.
Step 2: Scratch head as pump comes out DRY... no fuel dribbles at all.
Step 3: Get flashlight to shine in tank.
Step 4: Note that tank is damn near bone dry.
Step 5: Wonder where the hell 20 gallons of fuel went when you've idle for less than 1 hour total time and not driven more than 2 miles. Wonder if I was visited in the night by siphoners when it was parked outside waiting on PCM's in the mail?
Step 6: Realize that you'll never know if you are just a dumb *** or got siphoned off of.

**** Note (that makes you feel a little better!)... That the gas guage never worked from the time it first started running... so it would have been hard to notice all your gas was disappearing. At least it works now that you've been back in the tank and wiggled everything around!

To conclude this episode... I knew it was running like crap because the pushrods were too long early this week. It had a habit of dying after it was warmed up. I attributed that to the lifter pumping up and holding the valves off the seat. That I assumed caused it to die in the driveway (it was hot).. looks like that was part of it... but not nearly all. I swapped in a set of 7.375's and it should have been all better... but still wouldn't start. It wouldn't start because it was out of gas. That explains why it wouldn't start up from cold.

I MIGHT try to drive it tomorrow... but I'm a little gun shy!
That would do it! I've done it so many times it's stopped being funny
Old 06-29-2006, 10:58 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mean Green z28
That would do it! I've done it so many times it's stopped being funny
Try not to do that too often, the intank pumps don`t like it when you do that they use the fuel as a coolant and tend to take a when you do that. Sometimes it becomes a permanent nap.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:35 PM
Launching!

do you think that you had a split in the hose causing all the fuel to leak out as posted earlier or do you think you were syphoned? did you walk around the car to see if you had a fuel leak. i am sure you would have smelled it when the car was running.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

There was no leak. And I've had the car idling and driving more in the last day than it did previously. I haven't used more than 3-4 gallons. My vote is syphoned... but That sort of thing has never happened here before. Maybe thats because everything else has a locking gas cap?

Quick Reply: Conversion won't start... baffled