Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1955 56 57 Conversions Post here

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 11:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is anyone using a 605 streeing box in there tri-5? The question I have is which of the two ports for the high pressure and which is the return?
Old 12-13-2006, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

Default 57 modified engine cradle

Hi guys......I got alot more time than money, so I decided to modify my cradle (and lotsa other stuff along the way....lol) and it worked out fine. Got a few pics of it at this site http://caralbums.com/img/deadcarny I have about a bazillion hours into the mods, but I'm havin fun....I think. This baby is gonna be on the road next year, will be some good times for 57 chevy 50th and 67 camaro 40th anniversaries!! DK
Old 12-13-2006, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle1974
Is anyone using a 605 streeing box in there tri-5? The question I have is which of the two ports for the high pressure and which is the return?
I am using a 605. The high pressure line is the one that is to the inside, that is...closer to the engine when the 605 is mounted.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Harness Clearance between Tranny and Firewall/floorboard?

I have my harness from Speartech. Looks nice. Hope to be dropping the engine in before long.

Can anyone tell me if there would be clearance problems if I mount that harness so that at teh back of the engine, the harness drops down what would be the floorboard humb (like over the bellhousing area of the transmission)? That harness is probably 1" in diameter.

I'm planning on running it down that way so it will be hidden. Then over to the outside of the frame under passenger side, to the PCM.

I've been thinking it would clear. Now I'm not so sure.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ewingr
Can anyone tell me if there would be clearance problems if I mount that harness so that at teh back of the engine, the harness drops down what would be the floorboard humb (like over the bellhousing area of the transmission)? That harness is probably 1" in diameter.

I'm planning on running it down that way so it will be hidden. Then over to the outside of the frame under passenger side, to the PCM.

I've been thinking it would clear. Now I'm not so sure.
As you are probably aware, there are several different engine mounts for LS engines in 55-57's. The clearance around the firewall varies depending on how far forward or back the engine is mounted. Without knowing whose mounts you are using, I can't help you here.

Transmission clearance depends on engine location and type of tranny you have. If I remember right, you are using a 4L60 which is smaller than a T56 manual so you should be able to find room once you get the harness behind the engine. One thing you will quickly learn is that you can't bend the harness very sharply so plan on leaving room for gentle curves.

One additional hint. If you are mounting your PCM inside the car (where I think it should be), it will probably be easier to feed the wires through the hole from the inside out. Should allow for a smaller hole in your firewall/floor.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

On the motor mounts, I am using the ones from S&P. I don't know if that helps with the answer or not.

I have decided to mount the PCM under the car, passenger side. I gave inside a lot of thought, but I don't see an easy place to put it inside, with the other crap I have behind the dash and all. I've read about some putting it under the passenger seat, but I am not running a console and don't see a way to get teh wires there.

I understand the PCM is 'weatherproof'. But I too have concerns about that, and plan to make a shield that will protect it from water, etc, for the most part.

You are right, I do have a 4L60e. I was pretty negligent by posting w/o that information. Sorry.

The gentle curves tip makes sense.

One other thing: Given where I plan to put the PCM, I do have concerns about routing it in a way that doesn't get it too close to heat from the exhaust.

Maybe I should mount it on the firewall under the windshield wiper....just kidding.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Anyone Finished Mounting Slave Cylinder To Firewall On A 55 / T-56. ?
Old 12-14-2006, 09:12 PM
Teching In

55 Chevy Belair 2dr Ht Nomad
Old 12-16-2006, 02:32 AM
Teching In

I am using a 605. The high pressure line is the one that is to the inside, that is...closer to the engine when the 605 is mounted.
Thanks for the info. I thought it was that one but just wanted to make sure.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:40 AM
Teching In

On the motor mounts, I am using the ones from S&P. I don't know if that helps with the answer or not.

I have decided to mount the PCM under the car, passenger side. I gave inside a lot of thought, but I don't see an easy place to put it inside, with the other crap I have behind the dash and all. I've read about some putting it under the passenger seat, but I am not running a console and don't see a way to get teh wires there.

I understand the PCM is 'weatherproof'. But I too have concerns about that, and plan to make a shield that will protect it from water, etc, for the most part.

You are right, I do have a 4L60e. I was pretty negligent by posting w/o that information. Sorry.

The gentle curves tip makes sense.

One other thing: Given where I plan to put the PCM, I do have concerns about routing it in a way that doesn't get it too close to heat from the exhaust.

Maybe I should mount it on the firewall under the windshield wiper....just kidding.
I will be mounting the PCM under the passenger fender. I welded a small bracket to the firewall and taped it so I can utilize the original bracket that the PCM sits in(from a 2000 Camaro). The factory lenght wiring harness has enough slack to pass under the battery tray and plug into the computer mounted under the passenger side fender next to the firewall also, this location offers protection fron water splashing from the underside of the car. Hope this helps.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 55 6SPD
Anyone Finished Mounting Slave Cylinder To Firewall On A 55 / T-56. ?
I made a bracket from the drawing on S&P website and mounted it for a test fit. The slave cylinder will mount on the left of the brake pedal(looking from the drivers seat). The hole in the firewall for the original cluch rod will not be used anymore also, be prepaired to make a hole about 1 1/4" in the firewall to fit the top half of the slave cylinder through.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Transmission Lines to Radiator

I am using a stock style Griffin Radiator, and a 4L60e transmission. I recollect someone saying they ahd just gotten original transmission fluid lines from somethign and ran them up to just behind the radiator, and had some flex lines made to hook up.

Any suggestions on what would be best to try to get those from? I was presuming they pretty much fit, except cut off where necessary, etc.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I'm making progress on my 5.3 swap.

5.3, 4L80E, S&P mounts, Patriot Headers.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

Default My 57 LS7 project

Chassis for my 57 LS7 project is almost done. Waiting for wheels & tires so I can put 'er on the ground. Installation of exhaust starting this week.

Body has been dipped & E-Coated. Final bodywork prior to paint currently under way. No final decision on color yet.

Comments and suggestions welcome
Old 01-05-2007, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

Lost the link to my pics somehow. Here they are.

Sorry about that
Old 01-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Teching In

pictures look great. Exactly what was done when you had your body dipped and coated. Thanks. Tom Shands.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tshands
pictures look great. Exactly what was done when you had your body dipped and coated. Thanks. Tom Shands.
Hi Tom

This is what my car looked like before dipping. Texas car in storage since 1981 and pretty much rust free except for a small area in the trunk, one rocker, one small area in the floor and surface rust where the original paint was bad.

Dip and coating procedure is basically this:

1. Completely disassemble car
2. Body & other metal parts are dipped into tank to remove all paint & rust
3. Repair any holes etc. on body & other metal parts
4. Dip body & metal parts again prior to E-coating
5. Dip body & metal parts into neutralizing solution
5. Dip body & metal parts into e-coat tank so all parts are coated

Body & metal parts end up with electro-deposition primer on panels plus in all the nooks & crannies that a spray primer can't get to. Body is then ready for sanding and priming prior to paint.

Hope this is the info you were looking for.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Repeat Question

On Post # 112 above, I've asked about transmission line suggestions. No replies. Trying again...any thoughts?

Should I post as a separate topic?
Old 01-28-2007, 12:47 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Z06 57 Convertible

We have little rod shop south of Austin in Texas. We're building a 57 convertible with a C5 corvette suspension, 4L60E trans axle, C6 Z06 Brakes, LS7 and 345/45/19 rear tires, and we plan on getting it all under the car.

Here are some pics of the prototype frame we pulled off the table a few days a go we are starting to mock up the suspension, brake out the LS7 and figuring out the length we need to modify the torque tube too.

We have done all kinds of others all where we didn't have outer wheel limits (1932 3 window coupe) or we could flayer the fenders to get out that far (427 Cobra) So this will be our first where we narrow the rear end down.

In short I want to make this car look like we tore into a New Vette for it's guts for the 57

R^3
Old 02-03-2007, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Rat Rod -

I thought I was going through a lot installing my LS7....but YIKES!!! Next to yours, mine is a like a walk in the park. That thing is going to be wild.

Quick Reply: 1955 56 57 Conversions Post here