Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cali Guys COME IN!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 06:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cali Guys COME IN!!

Ok cali guys!!, im doing the LS1 swap and i need to go to the ref to get it all legal, now, is he going to test everything or just look for the emission stuff just to see if its there??? The reason is because i cant get the air pump to work at all, its not the pump, it seems be the grounding issue with the PCM that controls the relay. I could just tune out the air pump and call it a deal right? Just need to know if the ref will test every emissions stuff or just see if its there. Also the air pump just works for the warm up, my car will be way hot already. thanks
Old 07-04-2006, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will need all emissions equipment to the year of engine or the year of chassis.... which ever is later. They will go off of block ID and VIN.

The REF will be looking at everything to make sure it is there. He will also be testing everything....... but as long as you havent screwed with the stock platform too much it should pass without question.

If it passes smog, you will be less scrutinized on the visual, but everything has to be there.... if it does not pass smog or have every emissions component.... he will, obviously fail it on the spot.

There will be no tuning and/or adjustments during the smog either. You basically have to get it right before you show up.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

they 1st... do a visual.. pull out their engine book.. go over all the parts the engine should have.. (such as 98-00 EGR, AIR, cats, ect) from there, they catalog everything, plug in the ALDL, and check for codes, then they do a emissions test on the rollers..

if you pass, they then put a new Emissions lable with a bar code on the driver side door jam. So then everytime there after you need a smog.. you have to tell them to scan that bar code.

Ive done this before, and YES a SMOG REF, will go over EVERYTHING and makes sure it works. So get your air pump working ASAP, tuning it out wont work because they visually check to see if its working.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

by the way.. you will also need the gas tank and evap system from the 4thgen since its part of the whole system. They will check for it, and to make sure its working.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:56 PM
12 Second Club

Well i have everything that i need for all the smog stuff. I have no idea how to get that air pump to work???? And also i thought that the air pump just kicked on only when the car is cold and shuts off when it warms up right?? Is there a certain temp that it turns on or does turn on everytime you turn the car over no matter how hot or cold??? Im thinking just to hook a IGN wire to it and have it run till the car turns off??
Old 07-05-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

Are the cali refs ok with dry sump oil systems?
Old 07-05-2006, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

Dont know about the dry sump systems.. but REF's are picky SOB's... if it looks even the slightest bit hookie.. they will fail you..

are you talking about a dry sump type like an LS7? or one thats aftermarket? In CA.. you need EO or CARB #'s for pretty much ANY engine mod.. even an aftermarket air lid and filter needs one.

If your sump system in any way, changes the PCV system and vacuum setup.. they're not going to like it.. not saying you wont pass..but they WILL give you crap for it.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:57 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

John over at Speartech told me that pump runs for 30 seconds or so during cold startup and then is off. I'll be doing the same thing as you as soon as I get back.

When I called the ref they told me al lthe smog stuff needs to be there and working ,so I would assume what everyone has posted is correct.

I hooked my air pump up with a relay. how did you hook yours up? there's one wire form the computer which grounds the system and completeds the circuit. I have a 12volt "on" wire to it (and hte computer wire acting as the ground) then I have the battery wire and wire to the motor on the other side of the relay. as far as I know it's working...

I'll let you know what happens when I get my car tested and hopefully certified.

-BV
Old 07-06-2006, 01:19 AM
12 Second Club

Well i have it hooked up just like you but my IGN power is not triping the relay??? Would the battery have somthing to do with this??? Has not got a charge since april. Had the car on a few times but not much. Im just really stressed out on this crap. Good luck with the ref bro, let me know how it goes. What IGN power did you hook the relay too? Yeah, PCM 36 (brown) is the ground to the Air pump.... Good luck

NOTE: Does PCM 36 get grounded as soon as the key turns on, or does the car need to be running??

Joey
Old 07-06-2006, 02:27 AM
Staging Lane

This is what i did to get my 93 rx7 to pass california smog with an ls1.

http://www.torquecentral.com/showthr...t=finally+road
Attached Thumbnails Cali Guys COME IN!!-meg-dez-anniversaru-047.jpg  
Old 07-06-2006, 09:05 AM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ramair21
Well i have it hooked up just like you but my IGN power is not triping the relay??? Would the battery have somthing to do with this??? Has not got a charge since april. Had the car on a few times but not much. Im just really stressed out on this crap. Good luck with the ref bro, let me know how it goes. What IGN power did you hook the relay too? Yeah, PCM 36 (brown) is the ground to the Air pump.... Good luck

NOTE: Does PCM 36 get grounded as soon as the key turns on, or does the car need to be running??

Joey

The AIR pump comes on when the engine starts. The system is "smart" enough to know that it wouldn't be accomplishing anything to come on only with the key on.

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com
Old 07-06-2006, 09:25 AM
12 Second Club

Born Again7 , Congrats on that. I bet that made you feel happy with your work huh?? Like taking a quiz and passing it lol

Speartech, Your saying that the computer is smart enough not to turn on the air pump unless the car is running??? Well then that all makes sence now. I just need to charge up my battery and see what i get. AWESOME. Everyday im getting closer to resolve this problem. Thanks