Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lsx mustang suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 04:40 AM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lsx mustang suspension question

now that i have the mustang on the road , i can mess around with the other stuff like suspension; so here is my question, if i install adjustable upper rear control arms and lower lift bars (mega bite junior - similar to installing control arms and relocation brackets on an f-body) can i remove the stupid damper ( the horizontal small shocks on both sides of the car)?? will having a torquier motor affect that dicision??
Old 07-07-2006, 08:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1dirtyZ
now that i have the mustang on the road , i can mess around with the other stuff like suspension; so here is my question, if i install adjustable upper rear control arms and lower lift bars (mega bite junior - similar to installing control arms and relocation brackets on an f-body) can i remove the stupid damper ( the horizontal small shocks on both sides of the car)?? will having a torquier motor affect that dicision??
Nah, you can pull those quad shocks off and toss 'em. I have the Lakewood LCA's (same design as Megabites) and boxed uppers and no quad shocks and the car leaves hard and the road manners are excellent.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Once the flimsy rubber bushings go away back there, the dampener leaves. Change out the driveshaft to something better balanced than factory, and ditch the big dingleberry weight bolted to the nose of the differential housing too.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:50 PM
8 Second Club

thanks for the info, thats just what i wanted to hear!
the driveshaft is all new, and i never thought about that weight back there , guess i have something to remove now

on another note, for the front rotors can i just swap the 4 lug ones i got for 5 lugs of a 95 or 94??
Old 07-07-2006, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1dirtyZ
thanks for the info, thats just what i wanted to hear!
the driveshaft is all new, and i never thought about that weight back there , guess i have something to remove now

on another note, for the front rotors can i just swap the 4 lug ones i got for 5 lugs of a 95 or 94??
Unfortunately you have to swap the entire spindle and caliper assembly from the SN95 mustang. The 4 lug rotor is the old school type with the bearings and studs, whereas the SN95 is the "floating" rotor. There's a few places that sell swap kits, but you need to shop around because I've noticed the prices and parts included vary from each vendor.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

For the 5 lug conversion, hit up the junkyards. Easy stuff, it all bolts on. You simply need the steering knuckle, hub, rotor, caliper, and caliper bracket from a 94/95 car. Actually, you can get the caliper, bracket, and rotor from a 94 to 04 car - just make sure the knuckle is from a 94/95 or you offset the wheel outboard more. Last Mustang, I used 94/95 knuckles with 1999+ calipers (twin piston). This time, I'm using 13" cobra rotors and Mach 1 calipers and again they bolt right up. The ONLY "gotcha" is the lower ball joint. The 94/95 joint is different than the 87-93, but its not a show stopper. You either put washers (measuring about 5/16" thick) under the crown nut, or pop in a new 94/95 ball joint. If you're going to swap out lower control arms, get 94+ style as they'll already have it, and again - they bolt right up. You'll also want to get a set of stainless braided aftermarket brake lines for an 87-93 car to make your life easier, or you could grind down the block on the stock line where it hits the caliper. I like the upgrade to stainless lines, and there's no grinding

The tie rod ends on a 94+ car are also a different length, but there's enough adjustment room to make it work -- just line it up by sight and then head over to get an alignment.

In the rear, there's a ton of options. I go the easy route - pick up caliper brackets for a 94+ car from Ford, junkyards don't want to sell 'em for some reason. They're not expensive. Then pick up 94-98 length axles, and whatever calipers/discs you want to run. Make sure you get the soft lines from the donor car, with the axle brackets. You can simply pull the hard line out of the wheel cylinder, bend it where it needs to go, and thread it into the soft line bracket.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

u can use rotors off a 87 lincon lsc that way you can use the same spindle and calipers
Old 07-07-2006, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

Here is a site I found one day while searching for information on the 5 lug conversion - link . It's basically what Brains said above with a little more detail.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:12 AM
8 Second Club

thank you soooo much for the information guys ! very appreciated.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vanilla89
u can use rotors off a 87 lincon lsc that way you can use the same spindle and calipers

thats what i did. i went to the local pick & pull and got the front rotors as well as the complete rear disc setup for 175 bucks. its the same setup as fox body saleens.

if your car is a four cylinder they make swap rotors now so you dont have to go to V8 spindles.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:57 AM
9 Second Club

or you could pick up a Strange setup like i did if you want to lose a few more pounds off the nose, or someone similar.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:06 PM
8 Second Club

is the lsc the same as the mark vii?
Old 07-09-2006, 02:12 PM
8 Second Club

nevermind, just googled it. it is.

Quick Reply: lsx mustang suspension question