Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 Camaro LS2 w/ big block frame brackets?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 69 Camaro LS2 w/ big block frame brackets?

I just realized when I pulled my engine mount frame brackets out of the wrapper from the powder coater that they are for a big block, part #'s 3950114 and 3950113. Anyone used these with an LS2 in a first gen?

One possible nice feature is there is some front to back flexibility as far as engine positioning goes because these brackets are narrower than the Energy Suspension mounts I'm using. So, once you got the engine where you wanted it, just make a simple spacer or spacers to take up the extra room.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-30-2006, 11:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

on my 68 i had big block frame mounts and switched them out for small block ones. the only diff between the two was the small block ones sit a little further back against the firewall . i like this better because it gives me more room for the acc's and fan etc. also there is a minimal diff in height between the two types of mounts but its almost nothing like an 1/8 or less. but since the big block is wider overall than the small block the holes that go through the mount might be diff so if you use the big block ones they might not line up. like when your lowering it into the car and you get one bolt through the other might be off, cuz im sure the mounts are made to make up for the extra width of the big block, and both frame mounts use the same holes in the frame to mount them. just somthing to think about.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you will find that the big block mounts will offset the motor to the passenger side almost an inch. The factory did that to gain steering clearance. If you are using adapter plates that expect small block mounts this may give you trouble. Are you planning on bolting the frame mounts into the stock hole positions?

Pat
Old 07-31-2006, 05:53 AM
Teching In

Go to www.pozziracing.com great site for frame mounts, there are 2 different
69 sb frame mounts 350hp which mount the engine back and lower and
low performance 307 which mount the engine more foward and higher.
I had good luck with the 350 frame mounts and S&P engine mounts.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this is how mine sits with the 350 frame mounts s&p type adapters and energy suspension mounts
Attached Thumbnails 69 Camaro LS2 w/ big block frame brackets?-frame-mounts.jpg  
Old 08-01-2006, 09:07 PM
Teching In

I talked to Tyler at ATS and he said his mounts, which I'm using, are meant for the small block mounts. Since the 350/302 mounting brackets are much more expensive, I ordered the regular ones from Classic today.

BTW, the big block brackets are actually narrower than the small block ones thereby giving you some for and aft movement if you were making your own crossmember.

Thanks for the input!

Quick Reply: 69 Camaro LS2 w/ big block frame brackets?