Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor and Trans Mounting Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 02:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor and Trans Mounting Questions

I finally sold enough parts to raise the money for my new 4L60E tranny, so I'll go tomorrow and pick it up. Brand new, with new converter, 12 month/12k mile warranty for $1,075.00. It will bolt behind my LM4, all aluminum 5.3.

Now, for my questions, I need to know the size and length for the bolts to mount the tranny to the motor. I'm just mocking the truck up ('55 Studebaker pickup), so I'm not mounting the converter yet. I also need to know the proper ange to mount the motor? I know the motor sets a little lower in the rear, but what degree angle should it be set at?

I'm bolting the motor into a camaro subframe I have installed on the truck, and using the ebay motor plates. I also will use the camaro rear tranny mount, fit to the truck frame.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm finally going to get one of those books about the LS1, so I won't have to ask so many stupid questions.

Thanks, Keith
Old 08-13-2006, 11:26 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can`t seem to remember how long the bellhousing bolts are, or how I figured out what length to buy so I guess I`m no help there . The motor/trans should be 2-3 degrees down in the back so that the tailhousing bearing in the trans will get proper lubrication.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:59 PM
Launching!

i'd say just measure the thickness of the flanges where the bolts run through the trans, figure out how deep the thread is on the block and add the 2 together to find the proper lengths. that is, if nobody has the easy answer to the question.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thats right. Just stick a pencil into the block. Its a 10 mil 1.5 thread pitch I believe make it just a little shorter than your total of bellhousing thickness and pencil depth into the block. Or add a washer so you don't bottom out into the block on some of the holes.