Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T56 speedo sender to Autometer elect. speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 11:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T56 speedo sender to Autometer elect. speedometer

I am running a carbureted LS2 in my 67 Camaro. Can I use the stock speed sender to drive an Autometer electronic speedometer?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 08-14-2006, 11:14 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You should ba able to, most autometer electonic speedos are programmable so you just have to calibrate it to your sender. Some autometers will only accept a sine wave AC signal so you will have to tap directly into the VSS feed, other autometers will accept a square wave DC signal so you can tie into the speedo output from the computer.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an autometer in my car. It works great. Just hook it up and calibrate it as the instructions say and it will work. As you can tell, I took the pic as soon as I got them mounted.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by G-Body
You should ba able to, most autometer electonic speedos are programmable so you just have to calibrate it to your sender. Some autometers will only accept a sine wave AC signal so you will have to tap directly into the VSS feed, other autometers will accept a square wave DC signal so you can tie into the speedo output from the computer.
If you hook directly to the VSS you will throw codes for the VSS. You should have no problems running from the square wave PCM output as long as you have a programmable autometer. Mine works like a charm
Old 08-15-2006, 09:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1RS89
If you hook directly to the VSS you will throw codes for the VSS. You should have no problems running from the square wave PCM output as long as you have a programmable autometer. Mine works like a charm
Carburetor = No PCM = no codes

So is everyone else saying hook it to the speed sensor on the trans?
Old 08-15-2006, 10:07 PM

carbed oops forgot to read that part. Yes then you should have no problem hooking it directly to the sensor on the trans. The ppl/wht wire is the high reference wire and is the wire that you will want to hook to the input of the speedo.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by LS1RS89
I have read that a few times, but I have also seen a couple of posts where people could not get their autometer to work when hooked to the PCM and then it worked perfectly when they tied directly into the VSS. They did mention that if there is too much of a drain on the VSS the computer will start throwing codes. My speedo came with 2 input wires, one for square wave and another for sine wave, I hooked the square wave wire to the output of the computer and that is what I would recommend doing. But I always throw in the mention that some autometer speedos may not work like that and will have to tap into the VSS directly since I have seen that in a few posts. I should probably dig up the old threads and see if I can find out what model autometer those people were using.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by G-Body
I have read that a few times, but I have also seen a couple of posts where people could not get their autometer to work when hooked to the PCM and then it worked perfectly when they tied directly into the VSS. They did mention that if there is too much of a drain on the VSS the computer will start throwing codes. My speedo came with 2 input wires, one for square wave and another for sine wave, I hooked the square wave wire to the output of the computer and that is what I would recommend doing. But I always throw in the mention that some autometer speedos may not work like that and will have to tap into the VSS directly since I have seen that in a few posts. I should probably dig up the old threads and see if I can find out what model autometer those people were using.

Yes, some of the non programmable autometers or just the older models would not read the square wave from the PCM. They will all work running straight from the VSS but you just have to run the VSS wire to the PCM also. Some people run from the VSS to the gauge and thats it but they tend to get VSS codes. On a carbed application then yup any 4000 ppm speedo or programmable will work
Old 10-09-2006, 11:23 PM
Teching In

I am dredging up an old thread but can anyone tell me which pin the PPl/wht wire is hooked to? When looking at the trans from the driver's side, is it the front wire or the rear? Do I ground the other pin??

Quick Reply: T56 speedo sender to Autometer elect. speedometer