Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1968 Camaro SS ls7 swap // HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 11:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1968 Camaro SS ls7 swap // HELP!

Go easy on the noob. I have a 68 SSrs 396 (now 427) Camaro and am considering buying a new ls7 427 small block . Ive been told several things about the swap,, detroit Speed says the frame will need modification, tech departments say all you need is the motor mounts , a wet sump system, and special headers. Has ANYONE done this, anywhere, I just need to know if Im gonna go broke, , pull what little bit of hair I have left out and ultimately slit my wrists. Seems nobody can give a definitive answer on what needs to be done to the factory subframe other than motor mounts. Thanks anyone.. .. Anyone// Bueller? Bueller???
Old 08-22-2006, 03:12 PM
Needs to finish car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am in the midst of a very similar project, the car I am working on, also a '68, started out as a plain jain 327 2 bbl. I'm not using the stock subframe though, so I don't have a lot of the same issues.

Mark Stielow, of Mule and Trasher fame, just finished building a '69 with a stock sub. The stock LS7 oil pan won't fit, but on this car, called Camaro X, he used a custom pan made by American Touring Specialties. ATS has basically all the stuff you'll need to pull this swap off. Their stuff isn't cheap, but you get what you pay for. They are a sponsor here and the owner's handle is TitoJones.

I'd say this swap can be done without much more trouble than an LS1 swap, but you might need to get friendly with the loan officer at the bank because it's not going to be cheap
Old 08-22-2006, 07:01 PM
Launching!

Check out Mark Stielow's Project X Camaro: http://www.lateral-g.net/stielow/ which was just finished. There are some threads about it on the lateral-g forums where you can ask some questions. I'd say motor mounts, fuel and cooling will all be similar to an Ls1 swap. You'll need to research the dry-sump oiling system, PCM, wiring, tuning and drive-by-wire setup for the gas pedal and TB. The headers, you'll need a good quality longtube like the ATS headers but they aren't cheap. Or you could run the stock manifolds. Ask Tyler at ATS www.t56kit.com , he knows alot about this car as they are sponsors for it.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys,, Ill check out those links. Looks like Ill be getting a new subframe for it. The tech guys have said thet you really dont want to screw with the oil set up . They dont reccommend mods to any fascet of the engine at all really, so it looks like unexpected suprise number 1 ( subframe) is on the books. Anyone in need of a kidney? I may be selling one..

Quick Reply: 1968 Camaro SS ls7 swap // HELP!