Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

one more S13/LS1 swap in the works

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ted J
Check out the corvetteforums for on there you can find guys with C5's sometimes, if you make a post looking for manifolds for free, that and you'll have to do is pay them shipping to get them.

In regards to the mounts do a search for 240sx in this section and you should find a few different options of how you can do your motor mounts. I went solid on mine so you'll want to skip my thread! It's not as bad as you'd thihnk though but then again I don't daily drive my car and haven't driven it too much yet.
Cool. I stumbled on these in another thread, I'm thinking of giving em a shot.

http://carshop.carshopinc.com/produc...2560e1b30648cc
Old 09-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Teching In

Thanks for that link there. I just ordered a set for my ls13 swap. I'll let you guys know how they work out.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:39 AM
Launching!

Wow, it's been a while since I've updated anything here. I've been very busy with the car over the last couple of years, most notably building a whole new shell and swapping everything over to it. I started with another S13 coupe shell, this time a base model, and started turning it into a dedicated track car. The cliffs notes:
-Cut out rear bulkhead/package tray and firewalled with aluminum.
-Tubbed front fenders for tire clearance (drifter junk)
-Cut out trunk floor for FIA Fuel Safe Cell.
-Universal chassis harness used to reduce the messy stock junk.
-Engine harness cleaned up and re-routed.
-Built my own cage.
-New Griffin radiator setup.
-Oil cooler with t-stat.
-New 3.5" single exhaust.
-1 3/4" headers.
-New seats and harnesses.
-Lots more.

And I just completed the Texas Speed heads/cam swap on the car.

Some build photos

Old 01-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Launching!

And a few pics of the car on the track. Please disregard the failed attempt at a quick home paintjob. That is also on my list for this winter.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:51 AM
Launching!

And why not a couple vids...

Atlanta Motor Speedway roadcourse
http://youtu.be/PO6k0M8pEYQ

Road Atlanta
http://youtu.be/43lisqjgqyY
http://youtu.be/skeNO-J4iMk
Old 01-04-2012, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's looking good man! Did you end up putting another set of calipers in the back for it looks like you have a hydro e-brake going on?
Old 01-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ted J
It's looking good man! Did you end up putting another set of calipers in the back for it looks like you have a hydro e-brake going on?
No extra calipers, just running an inline master cylinder like all of the basic hydro ebrake setups. I really wanted something that could fit under the factory center console and use the stock handle, I got tired of explaining to my instructors at the track what the extra handle was for with the CNC hydraulic handbrake. I just kind of cobbed this one together hoping it would work, and it works well enough to hold the car in place and lock skinny tires; the problem when trying to drift the car on 265's was that the tunnel area where the master is mounted is soft as butter and flexes so bad it won't lock up. It's on my list of re-do things for the winter.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hows it stack up on track? Were there any cars that you were surprised that you were able to keep up with/dust?
Old 01-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GIGAPUNK
Hows it stack up on track? Were there any cars that you were surprised that you were able to keep up with/dust?
I gave ONE point by all weekend. It was a viper acr on slicks with a very experienced driver behind the wheel. I passed the Aventador almost every session but I'm positive he was taking it easy. Other than that I run comparably with Porsche GT3 RS's at Road Atlanta at the currrent power/grip levels. Hopefully I'll get to do some actual timed events this year to really gauge where I am.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by icantdrift
I run comparably with Porsche GT3 RS's at Road Atlanta at the currrent power/grip levels.
Holly Hot Tamale! I've watched numerous GT3s post FTD at the autocross. Watching those things gave me new found respect for Porsche. That's serious fast.

Did you do a before and after corner balance with the rear mounted fuel cell?

What kind of tires are you running and how much more tire do you want/need?
Old 01-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GIGAPUNK
Holly Hot Tamale! I've watched numerous GT3s post FTD at the autocross. Watching those things gave me new found respect for Porsche. That's serious fast.

Did you do a before and after corner balance with the rear mounted fuel cell?

What kind of tires are you running and how much more tire do you want/need?
If you ever have a chance to drive one your mind will be blown. The one I drove wasn't even the RS, just a standard showroom stock GT3 with Advan Neovas on it. Really really wish I could afford one. It was so smooth it didn't even "feel" fast, but after only one lap I was comfortable enough to turn about the same lap times as I was in my own car on that track.

I've never actually weighed or corner balanced the car. The new shell is a good bit lighter than the old setup even with the cage, but how much exactly I don't know. The old shell was 52/48 distribution when using some funky circle track/bathroom scale contraption but this chassis is a lot lighter in the middle since it had crank windows and no bulky power sunroof, and the nose lost weight in the form of a fiberglass hood and some lighter suspension bits. It is still very neutral handling, although with the new beefy swaybar it leans toward understeer. I need to try more camber up front though, most of the guys over on NRR run over 3 degrees and I'm currently at 2.5ish.

Tires are Advan A048R, 265/35-18 front and 295/30-18 rear on Enkei RPF1's 9.5/10.5 widths. Even with the wide/sticky tires I tend to spin them leaving a lot of corners in 4th gear. I don't feel the need to go wider yet, I need to work on some aero and alignment specs for the car. I have a big rear diffuser and the wing I plan on turning into a chassis mounted unit at some point. Up front I will build a splitter once I decide on a material to work with (most likely birch ply or phenolic plywood).

Last edited by icantdrift; 01-05-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Launching!

A clip of the car running untuned with the new cam.

http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...9-16-11-54.mp4
Old 01-20-2012, 02:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds mean! And Advan A048R are no joke. How do they compare to R6s?

I started a thread cataloging nissan lap times. Please post yours up.

http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=3396
Old 01-20-2012, 03:34 AM
10 Second Club

nice ride nice driving
Old 02-17-2015, 09:05 PM
Launching!

So I let this thread lapse, but I've been working on the car plenty over the last several years.

I ended up doing another home grown paint job that was better than the first, but still not good by any means

I decided the front end was too flimsy as I could feel it twisting every time I went through turn 7 at Road Atlanta, it was bad enough to lift the right front tire off the ground on R6's. I did a bunch of cutting/bending/welding to add a little rigidity and drop a little weight up front.

Then I decided while I was doing that I'd drop more weight/complexity and turn it into more of a dedicated track car than it already was.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:16 PM
Launching!

For a brief moment it looked like this

And then I decided I had found the wide body I really wanted in the Rocket Bunny V2 kit. The additional 40mm front and 70mm rear widths help to squeeze the track tires underneath the car.

And how it looks now

I'm currently in the process of shedding a little more weight and putting together a dry sump setup. As the grip has gone up I have watched at several tracks as my oil pressure drops off to nothing in long sweepers and I have no choice but to back off and straighten up to get the oil back in the sump, and that's while running an additional quart and with reasonable oil temps.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:32 PM
Launching!

And a video from Road Atlanta this past November.

There, now I'm caught up.

Quick Reply: one more S13/LS1 swap in the works