Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ride along video in my LS1 swapped 240sx

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 11:58 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ride along video in my LS1 swapped 240sx

just a quick video from this past weekend doing the drift demo for the nopi nationals show. got the car running friday afternoon, immediately trusted it enough to drive it an hour south to the alignment shop and then another hour and a half to the track. saturday i beat on the car all day and forgot to charge up my camera, sunday i made it through the first demo and cooked my stock LSD, then developed rod knock in the motor so i shut it down and pushed it out. the car ran amazing while the engine was happy, very well balanced like the SR was still in the car.... just with a little extra torque . my old technique was to mat the pedal and wait for boost then back off as needed, the new way of doing things is just plain old throttle steering.

anyhow, this is what it's like to be in the car. i had mufflers on it but was told to take them off because the crowd couldn't hear the car, lol. this was run with modified stock C5 manifolds and straight pipes to about half way down the car. spectator response to the car was amazing, 99.9% of people only had good things to say about the swap... there were a few weenies there that cried over the fact i had an american motor in a japanese car though.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=j31Yj1pZnqQ

Last edited by icantdrift; 09-18-2006 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:35 AM
TECH Resident

are the people you got the mtoor from goign to make it right? thats kinda messed up
Old 09-19-2006, 01:43 AM
TECH Resident

nice accidental 360 btw

tell dan tracy and andy i said hi.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the "redneck ferrari" comment..LOL

Nice vid, really makes me want to build one of these monsters.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mikespeed95
are the people you got the mtoor from goign to make it right? thats kinda messed up

it's not their fault. everything was great saturday, i just think i starved it.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by icantdrift
it's not their fault. everything was great saturday, i just think i starved it.
Not enough oil pressure?
Old 09-19-2006, 12:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by stealth71
Not enough oil pressure?

from what i'm seeing on here just not enough oil/baffling in the pan mixed with high side loads on the car.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

my pan has a lower baffle to keep the oil where the pickup is. Did you get the new redesigned pan or the older GTO pan?
Old 09-19-2006, 02:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Chin180sx
my pan has a lower baffle to keep the oil where the pickup is. Did you get the new redesigned pan or the older GTO pan?

my pan has a steel baffle bolted into the bottom of it. not sure the difference between the pans you speak of.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

that sounds like it. That worrys me about oil starvation if you had problems. any particular reason why you think you starved your engine?
Old 09-19-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hmm......not just a clever screen name.
you CANT drift j/k
practice practice practice
there were a few weenies there that cried over the fact i had an american motor in a japanese car though.
those people are called "douche bags" not weenies.
just for future reference.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just a quick video from this past weekend doing the drift demo for the nopi nationals show. got the car running friday afternoon, immediately trusted it enough to drive it an hour south to the alignment shop and then another hour and a half to the track. saturday i beat on the car all day and forgot to charge up my camera, sunday i made it through the first demo and cooked my stock LSD, then developed rod knock in the motor so i shut it down and pushed it out. the car ran amazing while the engine was happy, very well balanced like the SR was still in the car.... just with a little extra torque . my old technique was to mat the pedal and wait for boost then back off as needed, the new way of doing things is just plain old throttle steering.

anyhow, this is what it's like to be in the car. i had mufflers on it but was told to take them off because the crowd couldn't hear the car, lol. this was run with modified stock C5 manifolds and straight pipes to about half way down the car. spectator response to the car was amazing, 99.9% of people only had good things to say about the swap... there were a few weenies there that cried over the fact i had an american motor in a japanese car though.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=j31Yj1pZnqQ

You know what you need to do! Make a DART IZUMI like exhaust but make it a 4inch instead of a 3. And flare out the daul tips coming out the back to 4.5 tips to really let the crowed hear that car!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-19-2006, 10:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by slick1851
You know what you need to do! Make a DART IZUMI like exhaust but make it a 4inch instead of a 3. And flare out the daul tips coming out the back to 4.5 tips to really let the crowed hear that car!!!!!!!!!

i'm just going to y the 2.5" pipes together and run a 3" back from there... then make some oval sidepipes with slip fits for exhibitions to make it louder. should do the job pretty well and i'll get the cool smoke blowing back from the exhaust exiting near the rear wheels. if i ran 4" exhaust under the car anywhere i'd have to raise the suspension about 3" so i can get on and off a trailer or in and out of my driveway, lol.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:40 AM
10 Second Club

i want to see some exterior pictures of this beast. for what you are doing.. i seriously think you need a dry sump system though.. this isnt your first rodeo.. i think it would be a wise investment for you

edit, there is a bit of you haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_PBc7ev1KM

Last edited by Cop Car; 09-20-2006 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Cop Car
i want to see some exterior pictures of this beast. for what you are doing.. i seriously think you need a dry sump system though.. this isnt your first rodeo.. i think it would be a wise investment for you

edit, there is a bit of you haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_PBc7ev1KM

dry sump just isn't in the cards right now. $3500 for an oiling system is just not gonna happen unfortunately. mike peters hasn't spun a bearing yet that i know of and he's been running his car like this for a while now. i really just think i wasn't running enough oil in the car for the abuse.

edit: haha, can't even hear the car.... must've been when i had the flowmasters still on there.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice setup, the steering angles on those Jap cars are insane! No wonder people are swapping motors into those chassis.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lxcoupe
Nice setup, the steering angles on those Jap cars are insane! No wonder people are swapping motors into those chassis.

thanks. this car can make a u-turn on a dime and with the LS1 pump coupled with the 240 rack it steers very easily. not to mention it's a decently light car to begin with.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:01 PM
TECH Resident

dry sump just isn't in the cards right now. $3500 for an oiling system is just not gonna happen unfortunately. mike peters hasn't spun a bearing yet that i know of and he's been running his car like this for a while now. i really just think i wasn't running enough oil in the car for the abuse.

edit: haha, can't even hear the car.... must've been when i had the flowmasters still on there.

and i beat the **** out of my car

when drifting always run a quart extra
Old 09-20-2006, 11:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mikespeed95
when drifting always run a quart extra

now i know! and knowing is half the battle
Old 09-21-2006, 12:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What have you done suspension wise? (coil-overs, etc). What clutch in front of the T56? thanks, Chris

Quick Reply: ride along video in my LS1 swapped 240sx