Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my s14 ls1/t56

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hard to explain and i dont have any pics. some had to do it. some didnt. i cut the bolt off (the one that dont come out) and took some half inch think steel and welded 2 bolts to that. then bolt sway bar to it and tac weld it up. remove sway bar (so rubber dont melt) and weld it out. the sway bar will move out just enough so i didnt have to relocate the other 2 ends. not the best way im sure but it worked.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GIGAPUNK
stock ls1 can reliably handle upto 9 psi if intercooled well.

9/14.7=.61
.61*350=213.5
213.5+350stockHP=563.5 hp
ends up being about 490 at the wheels
With that math all you did was convert the 9 psi into how much of a bar it is.

Is that really the way to calculate horsepower going on a supercharger?

Superchargers aren't all going to put the same amount of air in at 9psi.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

its just a guess. the theory i seen is the same. if you add 1 bar you should double your hp. but it dont always work that way. atmospheric pressure is 1 bar. so you double it you double your power. but it cost power to spin that SC. so, like i said. its just a guess.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by XofXtimeX
Superchargers aren't all going to put the same amount of air in at 9psi.
On a given engine 9 psi above ambient is 9 psi.

Adiabatic efficiencey and therefore air density before an intercooler will vary between superchargers. The power taken to drive the supercharger will also vary as was pointed out above. Roots>centrifugal, and youre even going to loose 5-10 hp in exhaust in-efficiency to drive a turbo. It can take more than 200 hp to drive pro drag cars!

But the that is how you do it!
Old 03-29-2007, 02:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fouz65
its just a guess. the theory i seen is the same. if you add 1 bar you should double your hp. but it dont always work that way. atmospheric pressure is 1 bar. so you double it you double your power. but it cost power to spin that SC. so, like i said. its just a guess.
If your doubling your horsepower with a SC you have somthing wrong with your engine or somthing will be very soon.

On a given engine 9 psi above ambient is 9 psi.

Adiabatic efficiencey and therefore air density before an intercooler will vary between superchargers. The power taken to drive the supercharger will also vary as was pointed out above. Roots>centrifugal, and youre even going to loose 5-10 hp in exhaust in-efficiency to drive a turbo. It can take more than 200 hp to drive pro drag cars!

But the that is how you do it!.

Well It's obvious 9 psi is 9psi...but the flow of that 9psi and how much air is being transfered is going to vary with the supercharger.

SC's are going all have different flow rates so I don't understand how you can use some "formula" to calculate the flow of a SC that isn't even being specific. I can understand a formula for a specific SC on a specific engine. But that formula seems rediculous to be so general on.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

flow of that 9psi and how much air is being transfered is going to vary with the supercharger...
Not on one specific engine, at one specific rpm, it won't.

[/QUOTE]I don't understand how you can use some "formula" to calculate the flow of a SC that isn't even being specific. I can understand a formula for a specific SC on a specific engine. [/QUOTE]

I did say on a "given" engine. And in regards to a specific supercharger, if the compressor is large enough to flow 9psi for the "given" engine, then the same 9 psi will always be the same "flow" regardless of the type of compressor.

Flow at a given PSI is determined by the engine and pressure loss accross the piping. Then you just need a compressor big enough to get you there with a reasonable adiabatic efficiency.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If your doubling your horsepower with a SC you have somthing wrong with your engine or somthing will be very soon.
1 bar above ambient is VERY doable with an engine that is built for it (forged internals, low compression with plenty of squish). That is about the limit of pump gas though. And it will about double your hp.

And .6 bar is VERY doable on a stock LS1 with an intercooler (.35 bar even without an intercooler!).
Old 03-29-2007, 10:05 PM
Staging Lane

Not on one specific engine, at one specific rpm, it won't.

I don't understand how you can use some "formula" to calculate the flow of a SC that isn't even being specific. I can understand a formula for a specific SC on a specific engine. [/QUOTE]

I did say on a "given" engine. And in regards to a specific supercharger, if the compressor is large enough to flow 9psi for the "given" engine, then the same 9 psi will always be the same "flow" regardless of the type of compressor.

Flow at a given PSI is determined by the engine and pressure loss accross the piping. Then you just need a compressor big enough to get you there with a reasonable adiabatic efficiency.[/QUOTE]

Say those all flow the same amount of air at 9 PSI.... I promise you all of those turbo's are going to have very different horsepower numbers all at the same amount of boost.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think that the thing that you're missing is that

flow=cfm=hp

and on a given engine

9 psi = one specific cfm at a given rpm
Old 04-08-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

old best was 8.0 (the run with video). i got it to hook and ran out real good. if i can get it to hook like it did there on the 1/4 mile track im sure i can hit atleast a 12.5 ET. hopefully a 1/10 or two lower. in the phases of reducing weight on the car now. took out about 50 lbs today and looking to do another 50 lbs next weekend. just off all the little bitty stuff you wont miss if its gone. goal is to take off atleast 200 lbs. then get into the carbon fiber hood/trunk lid stuff and then side rear windows.

GIGAPUNK, i thought about the drive shaft question but got into working on the car. oil change, new intake pipe, new FM antenna and cleaning and taking stuff off and i forgot. im sure it was 1.5-2 inchs too short on mine. if you got the motor all the way back like ted did. it might work.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

I love the s14...Had a couple 96 se now 5 spd vlsd...Bought an 02 ls1 w t56....
Sold it due to finances....But still have a bunch of other things left over specifically for the 240,,,,,,My question is do you have a photobucket and Can I see some pics......

SonnyG......Thecarguy84@live.com
Old 02-10-2008, 07:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

dont have a photobucket. i can load up some pics if there was something you wanted to see.

some videos on youtube
bout all i got.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fouz65

old best was 8.0 (the run with video). i got it to hook and ran out real good. if i can get it to hook like it did there on the 1/4 mile track im sure i can hit atleast a 12.5 ET. hopefully a 1/10 or two lower. in the phases of reducing weight on the car now. took out about 50 lbs today and looking to do another 50 lbs next weekend. just off all the little bitty stuff you wont miss if its gone. goal is to take off atleast 200 lbs. then get into the carbon fiber hood/trunk lid stuff and then side rear windows.

GIGAPUNK, i thought about the drive shaft question but got into working on the car. oil change, new intake pipe, new FM antenna and cleaning and taking stuff off and i forgot. im sure it was 1.5-2 inchs too short on mine. if you got the motor all the way back like ted did. it might work.
Whats your best qtr mile time as of right now ? The best I could swing out of my stock 98 z28 ls1 t56 combo with longtubes and intake is 12.77 at 114mph with 2.7 60 ft time i know i can be low 12s high 11 with slicks and traction. I don't catch good traction till mid 3rd gear. The coilovers are one and my ******* 275s on the track give me crazy wheel hop! Glad to see your car still up and running
Old 02-11-2008, 07:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Fouz, How is that weight reduction coming? What exactly did you do to loose that 50lbs?

Daftdrifting, That wheel hop is totally curable! What bushings/arms are you running in the rear?
Old 02-11-2008, 06:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by daftdrifting
Whats your best qtr mile time as of right now ? The best I could swing out of my stock 98 z28 ls1 t56 combo with longtubes and intake is 12.77 at 114mph with 2.7 60 ft time i know i can be low 12s high 11 with slicks and traction. I don't catch good traction till mid 3rd gear. The coilovers are one and my ******* 275s on the track give me crazy wheel hop! Glad to see your car still up and running
best so far...
60ft 1.9
1/8 8.0 / 90 mph
1/4 12.2741 / 114.77 mph

avg about 12.5. avg 114 mph 90% of the time.

the 12.2 was a odd run. i got there early (before the dew started to drop) and it hooked like never before. i wasnt ready for it to hook and it bogged alittle off the line. i tried time and time again to get it to hook again but it never did. i got so excited i could hit the 11's i made 9 passes back to back with no waiting. if i could have got it to hook like that again and took advantage of it i think i could have got the 11's. tires are some cheap 255/40/17.

i get wheel hop like crazy in second. i put in some of those subframe spacer and they did nothing. i cant tell where they changed anything. not even the extra road noise i thought i would get. only thing they did was get rid of the banging of the subframe moving around on hard shifts. which was worth putting them in.

GIGAPUNK, i didnt do nothing real big. took out spare tire, jack, swap out the power antenna for a little rubber one, removed some brackets.

if i build my shop this year im going to try to make me a one-piece front end. just a idea right now. i did wanna go all out on the car but now im just thinking about doing the front end, cam and valve train, slightly upgraded clutch, spray and some good tires. all i want is to ran a high 10 and im happy.

Quick Reply: my s14 ls1/t56