Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 into 1964 Chevy Malibu S.S.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 07:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 into 1964 Chevy Malibu S.S.

I just bought a LS1 Gen. III motor from a 1998 Trans Am. I am looking for any help with conversion parts and how to. Any help with motor mounts, headers, wiring and installation tips woulg be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

Check out Street & Performance, they make everything for LS1 swaps. Their website is www.hotrodlane.cc It is a crappy website to try to figure anything out, I would call them and talk with them about what you need.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Street and Performance is a bit pricey but may be a one stop deal. If you search LS1Tech you can find varying methods to get all of the necessary steps done.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BPR Hot Rods also has a A-Body kits that includes mounts and x-member.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What transmission are you planning on using? If you are doing a T-56 then you will have to open the trans tunnel up for it to fit. A 4L60E should fit with no mods. The engine fits with a modified oil pan and S&P style motor plates. There will be crearance issues with the stock F-body accessories. I am looking at the pulley system by Synisterproducts.com. It looks like it should clear the crossmember but I haven't confirmed this yet. For wiring you can use any of the sponsors here, I personally am using Speartech. For a fuel tank you can get one from rockvalley, or for a cheap route you can use a mid 90's caprice/impala tank. For headers there are several options. Look around and you will find what you need.

Tim
Old 10-06-2006, 11:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With the BRP Style mounts.. you can use the stock accessories with a notch to the right front of the engine x-member (if using the Stock A/C compressor).. I have done so without any problem and the stock pan will fit. The BRP Style mount will require you to move the engine Frame mounts back some.

There are many projects that have used both style. S&P is nice but pricey.. and will require after market accessories and mounts, a oil pan mod (more $$$).

BRP will allow stock Oil Pan and accessories.

I just made my own BRP style mounts, move the frame mounts, cut the Trans X-member mount off, flipped it over and welded it back.. done...

your choice.... search for some of the A and G body project, there are many here.

Quick Reply: LS1 into 1964 Chevy Malibu S.S.