Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ9 accesories compared to LS1

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ9 accesories compared to LS1

I have been trying to decide between an LS1 or a LQ9. I am concerned about the piston slap and the limitation of .005-.010 overbore of an LS1. I am considering the LQ9 for the '56 project. I don't think I will have a hood clearance problem with the LQ9, so here is my question. Is the placement of the LQ9 accesories any better or worse looking than the LS1? I would hate to have to look for the entire F-body accesory package, not to mention the expense. Also, is there a difference in how far forward the accerories are placed on the engine, there may be a space issue in that direction. So many questions, sorry.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:17 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can`t really say as far as looks, thats more of a personal preferance. The F-Body accys tuck in 3/4" closer to the block than the truck(LQ9) accys, and the vette accys are 3/4" closer to the block than the f-body accys. For looks try using google images to find pictures of the the different accy styles.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

Appearance wise, the Vette (C5 or C6) and truck access are very similar. Placement of the hardware is similar. F-body puts stuff in different places.

C5 & trucks run the alternator up top (way up top) where it is very visible. Power steering pump is below that (not very visible). Placement of the alternator makes it very easy to service, but also means you might be concerned in what it looks like.

The F-body access place the alternator way down low, almost next to the crankshaft, with the powersteering pump above it. Depending upon your application, the alternator may try to occupy space that something else should be in. For example, in an S10, the f-body alternator and the truck steering box want the same space. In my case, the steering box won, I run C5 access because of location of the alternator (and space, need more space).

I would expect the truck access to be the least expensive. The C5 stuff is probably the most expensive. F-body should be somewhere in between. Be warned that not a whole lot interchanges, even stuff that looks like it should, like alternators. I found out the hard way that the truck alternator doesn't fit on the C5 bracket. The pulley is in the correct spot, but the 2 mounting holes don't line up (pattern is about 1/2" different). Ended up having to make and adapter bracket.

'JustDreamin'
Old 10-21-2006, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

Thanks, JD. That's just the information I was looking for. I have a vertical mill and full size lathe in the garage, so I just dare something not to fit!
Old 10-21-2006, 01:10 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6.0's are gonna have the same piston slap as the aluminum motors.
id take the 6.0 for more displacement, and they are somewhat cheaper as well.
good luck.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Piston slap on the LQ9? Did they machine the bore a little oversized on all their engines?
Old 10-21-2006, 03:07 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine in my car and truck make noise.
they all have piston slap AFAIK.
98 f bodys more than others? #1 cylinder i think.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:51 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the piston slap in these motors is due to lack of skirt area and it's more of a rattle than a slap. GM has had this problem since they started trying to lighten things up in the bottom of the motors to free up hp and make fuel mileage by reducing bottom end mass. Just about everything they make now has a rattle at one time or another. Go for the 6.0 and be happy with the extra cubes.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cvman
Also, is there a difference in how far forward the accerories are placed on the engine, there may be a space issue in that direction. So many questions, sorry.
I didn't catch your last question before....

The C5 / C6 / CTS-V accessories are the shortest and typically most expensive, but also are the closest to the block (most radiator / fan clearance).

The next step out (less radiator / fan clearance) is the F-body & GTO, by like 3/4".

The furthest out is the truck package. They're like 2" further out than the C5 or F-body stuff (not an exact measurement).

Hope that helps....

'JustDreamin'

Quick Reply: LQ9 accesories compared to LS1