Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up my motor set tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 02:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by firefighter
If you are gonna pull the pan and check some rod bearings you at minimum need to put some upgraded rod ARP bolts. Hell just throw some bearings and if you get crazy put some pistons, just so you don't have to worry later. It'll add minimal cost (less than a grand) and will give you insane amounts of peace of mind especially if you are gonna spray it.
Rod bolts and bearings are not out of the question but pistons just wont be in the budget for this build. We just need the motor to hold together for an afternoon on a road course (no spray) and then a few passes down the drag strip on spray.

I am sure its here on LS1 tech but I just dont have the paitence to read through a ton of posts. What are the major issues with the 98 motor? I assume the rod bolts are weak and the pistons are a little on the weak side. Any other issues the 98 motor might have with a 150 shot of nitrous?
Old 12-10-2006, 03:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I remember correctly the rod bolts are allways considered a weak point, the pistons are that Hypereutectic (hell I can't even say it never mind spell it) but aside from that the block had some oiling issues (sort of) the block originally was sort of compartmentalized between the banks of cylinders and the original blocks go up to I think '99 what GM did was machine holes to equalize pressure later LS1's had an opening cast in the actual fordging my understanding is that the block itself is not really inferior the big difference is the manifold after maybe '00 everything got the LS6 manifold much better look at the bottom unless it's flat (not smooth they all have a "grid" on them) it's a LS1 intake. You might be able to pick up an LS6 manifold kinda cheap from someone that upgraded.

Quick Reply: Picked up my motor set tonight.