Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.8L in a Jeep?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 06:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4.8L in a Jeep?

I got a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee at the beginning of November, and already its annoying me by its lack of grunt. Right now it has the 4.0L I6 engine. Not only does this engine not have enough power, it also sucks for gas mileage. Granted, its not all the engines fault, I am running 33" tires and 4.56 gears with a 6" lift.

Anyways, I was thinking I could find a 4.8L LSx engine with the transmission and transfer case from a pickup and swap in fairly easily. I should have the room since they put 5.2L and 5.9L engines in these from the factory (I don't want a POS dodge engine in it either).

I guess my biggest concern is will the transimission/transfer case from a pickup fit.

From what I've seen, the 4.0L engine is reliable, but the transmission (being a dodge product) isn't. So I figure when (not if, but when) the tranny gives up, I'll be ready to drop in the 4.8L. I'm thinking I can get the 4.8L with the transmission and t-case relatively cheaply.

I'm thinking the 4.8L for a few reasons. First, I think it will be cheaper, since it isn't as desirable as the larger engines. Also, it will limit the amount of torque (though still a sizeable increase over the 4.0L). I'm also hoping for better fuel mileage with the added efficiency of the 4.8L.

Anyways, thought I'd share with you all my plans to build up my Jeep the right way
Old 12-11-2006, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4.8, 5.3, 6.0, doesn't really matter as far as swapping is concerned, since there is no external differences. Find yourself a complete Chevy drivetrain: 4.8, 4L60E, NP241, complete harness with PCM, and all accessories. Since it is a driver's side drop, just like your Jeep, you will save a lot of time, money and effort in trying to adapt a GM trans to your stock transfer case. You will need to modify the stock driveshafts to fit the new transfer case.

Electrical wise, getting it to run and drive is pretty simple. The Gen III drivetrains are pretty much self contained electrically. I am not familar with the Jeep's electrical system though. If your stock gauge are wired directly to senders, then it is a simple matter of adapting the stock senders to the new engine. If they are controlled by the stock computer, then life gets interesting. If it has ABS, you will most likely lose it.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Engine conversion

Here's a good information link.

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/JEEP/jeep1.htm
Old 12-12-2006, 07:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you step up to a 5.3, you can get an aluminum block

if you concerned w/ gas mileage, you can get an engine w/ displacement-on-demand

Quick Reply: 4.8L in a Jeep?