Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not sure if I'm in the right spot....

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Not sure if I'm in the right spot....

....since it isnt going to be a LSx powered vehicle, but it will be hauling my LSx powered '52 Chevy Styleline

It is a 1965 Chevy C60 2.5 ton truck 292ci inline 6/4 speed manual tranny and a 2 speed rear end. I want to make a rollback type of a truck out of it and it will also tow my enclosed car hauler. I am wanting to put a newer cummins in it from a dodge with the 6 speed manual tranny. Anywho....here are a couple of pics:

Old 12-13-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Got one very similar but in a little better shape. Installed a 327 in it and put hydraulics on it to make it a dump bed. Has a super low first gear, 4.88 gears, and a two speed rear axle. Use it hauling round bales. Used it to carry a couple of 5.3's that I bought from a salvage yard.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:07 PM
Launching!

We used to have a 1963 C60 grain truck like that. It was sold last spring with less than 35,000 miles on it. I never liked it much because of the 2 ft. diameter steering wheel, gas smell from the tank behind the seat and the noise from the cracked exhaust manifold. There is enough room in the engine bay to install just about anything. You may want to look into the cost of rebuilding the brakes. The high price was the reason for selling.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Regular

I cant find much on this truck in the form of specifications or parts. I do know that there is no brake pedal right now, but it is from a busted hardline. The bed that is on it right now is a hydraulic dump bed, not sure if it all works or not since i just got it to my house. The truck was free so i cant complain there. As far as the body, the glass is a given, but i was told any glass from a 61-66 c/k10-30 would work as well as the weather stripping. The drivers door will need to be replaced as well....but i dont mind the challenge, and besides....it was free
Old 12-13-2006, 01:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's up w/ the 2 speed rear end? I've never heard of it before.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's huge, cable shifted, has a hi/lo gearset, and only works good under a big truck. Oh yeah, weighs about 500+ lbs.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:20 PM
Launching!

The dump bed operates a hydraulic pump off of the pto shaft from the transmission. Press the clutch and pull the lever to engage the pto. Let the clutch out and the pto shaft will turn the hydraulic pump. Pull the other lever out to raise the bed and hold it. These can also be kind of costly to rebuild. Does the Dodge engine have a pto on the trans? The older grain trucks aren't worth much anymore because of their smaller capacity and most farms are going to semis now. I did like the dash and gauges in that old truck though.

The two speed rear and 4 speed trans let you basically have 8 gears to shift through. The rear axle had two sets of gears you could select by pulling up or pushing down on a lever by the shifter handle.

The wooden bed looks nice sanded and varnished.

Last edited by 76LQ9TA; 12-13-2006 at 01:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Not sure if I'm in the right spot....