Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 in 72 nova need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006 | 07:26 PM
Teching In

Default ls1 in 72 nova need help

OK, I KNOW IT HAS BEE ASKED A 1000 TIMES ON HERE BUT I AM NEW TO THE SIGHT SO HERE IT IS I WOULD LIKE TO PUT A LS1 AUTO IN MY NOVA. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT I AM GETING IN TO. I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON CAR FOR A VERY LONG TIME AND HAVE KNOW HOW TO DO FABING MAKING EXHAUST AND SO ON. WHAT IT TAKES, WHAT IS THE BEST YEAR FOR THE BUCK (LOOKING AT A 2000) WHO MAKES THE RIGHT MOUNTS, WHO DOES A GOOD JOB AT MAKING THE FACTORY HARNESS WORK, FUEL LINES, TANK, HEADERS , THROTTLE HOOK UP, RAIDATOR WHAT TO DO WITH IT WHO MAKE ONE??? STUFF LIKE THAT THE NOVA IS DOWN TO THE BARE BONES RIGHT NOW ( HAD A FIRE) I BOUGHT A UNISTEER R&P FOR IT (POWER) AND A PAINLESS WIRE HARNESS( BEFORE I THOUGHT ABOUT THE LS1) I PLAN ON PUTTING AC IN THE CAR ( VINTAGE AIR) I WOULD JUST LIKE TO KNOW WHAT TO LOOK FORWARD TO. ALSO I WOULD LIKE TO PUT A VORTECH S OR YSI TRIM ON IT LATER WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF I WOULD BEABLE TO DO THAT???? THANKS FOR YOUR TIME!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails ls1 in 72 nova need help-32chev27141.jpg  
Old 12-15-2006 | 07:48 PM
On The Tree

Ron Davis for the radiator, they will make it with the provisions of the LSx motor (inlet and outlet on passenger side).

Wiring - SPEARTECH

Also, check street and performance www.hotrodlane.cc

Rick
Old 12-16-2006 | 07:22 PM
Teching In

Anybody Else Have Info????
Old 12-16-2006 | 08:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Best advice I can give is read the sticky at the top. Some of the guys have done a great job putting a alot of info together. Good luck
Old 12-17-2006 | 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

You are asking a lot of question that have been asked and answered over and over every week..You will find all of the information and other swaps in the forum and Sticky's. you just need to figure out which way to do your swap to your style, as there are way to many ways to a swap, and almost all will work.

But here are a few answers (my 2 cents) to get you started...

BRP markets engine/trans mounts in a Kit for the Nova's. You can give Phill a call and I think he can give you some details and info if that is what you are looking for. S&P, ATS and others can also help with what you need.

If your handy in the Fab shop area, you should be albe to fab up the engine and trans mounts, I know it is not that hard, as I did my engine Adapter Plate and trans X-member Mod for my swap with just hand tools and a welder at home.

Yes a 2000 year motor is a good start, 2001-02 with the LS6 intake would be a better find as far as the LS1 goes.. but nothing wrong with starting with a 2000 or any of the LSx's

Go with Speartech for the Wiring. Don't brother with a Painless unless you have a lot of time. There are few others out there that will modify hour stock harness or sell you a new one also. As you can read from many of the threads.. working with Speartech will be almost plug and play.

There are a few Mail tuners out there, Most are good to get you started.. but a good dyno tune is hard to beat. You can get them to flash your PCM to delete all of the codes not needed (VAT,SMOG, rear O2, skip shift, etc) and to put a basic performance tune to get you up and running. Else you can get one of the tuner and DIY it...

Is the R&P a front mounted convertion?.. if so. .you are looking much better for clearence of the oil pan in your swap.

If you can modify your Fuel System, have the Wiring Harness and PCM done, either buy or fab your engine/trans mounts... with your skills, your almost all the way there.

Good luck..
Old 12-17-2006 | 03:56 PM
Teching In

cool thanks for the help!!! also would I have to cut my floor to put the 6 speed in????
Old 12-17-2006 | 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

There is a good chance you will.. I had to cut my Chevelle trans tunnel to get the T56 to sit with the correctly.
Old 12-17-2006 | 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

On Spike TV (i think it was horspowertv) they put an lsx motor in a nova.
Old 12-18-2006 | 02:01 PM
11 Second Club

Here's a site with an LS1 in a 70 nova. It's an automatic, not a manual. If you have any specific questions, you can pm me.

www.geocities.com/marksls1nova
Old 01-07-2007 | 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by jfman
On Spike TV (i think it was horspowertv) they put an lsx motor in a nova.
They butchered that Nova on Musclecar, they should have ordered the bolt on pieces for a 67-69 Camaro. The Camaro shares the same subframe as the 68-74 Nova, so anything you find for the more popular 1st Gen Camaro should fit on the Nova.
Old 06-30-2007 | 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

How much is needed to put a LQ9 in a early 70's nova? My lil bro is picking one up (sans engine/trans) and i have a source on a LQ9 w/ attached 4l80e. Was thinking of BIG cam and carb setup. Will the stock rear hold any power? Will it need a new front clip? Or just diff. suspension pieces? Who makes LT's for this setup?

Quick Reply: ls1 in 72 nova need help