Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension / Chassis deisgns...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 02:54 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Suspension / Chassis deisgns...

OK, well...I did and didn't find what I was looking for...so before you tell me to just continue to read a bit...

Alright, I think some of you are already firmliar with this THREAD and my early research on building a Lotus 7 replica (or locost or not so locost).

At any rate I've gone from wanting to find suspension peices to more or less, get this sucker designed and fabbed up (with the design help from a few mech E buddies).

I've already come to the determination that the vehicle will be an EMod SCCA solo legal car, it will be titled for road use.

I've got a ton of ideas running in my head as far as trying to incorporate weight distribution, suspension geometry, ect. I need a thread that can help focus these things, point on some better courses and get things simplified. Perhaps this would have been better in the road race forum, but...I'm think design and fab are more geared towards this one. (Mods, feel free to relocate obviously).

I'm really still on the fence with either an LS1 or an Ecotec. I'm leaning more towards the v-8 though.

The jist: Front will be unequal length control arms, with outboard coil over shocks, and a front sway bar. Rear will be a 3 link setup. I'm 50/50 on using either a watts/mumford link or a track bar setup. There are cases for both.

Initially, I'd like to have this thing be about a 51/49 weight differential (easier to drive) until I get pleanty of seat time with it and then I'll start adding balast to get a more performance oriented weight bias of 50/50 or 45/55. So in the chassis design, I'll have to figure a mounting system for balast. Additionally, I don't want my wedge to be dead on, or VERY close to pefect.

For uprights and spindles, if you've done your own, how have you done them? How'd you do the bearings?

As far as attaching the suspension to the frame, have you used bushings or rod ends. How have you calculated the stress on those piece for shock loading like potholes, extreme duty on auto-x or road courses? How often do you plan on replacing items like that?

Steering racks, tie rods and ball joints, what did you use, where'd you find them, ect.

SOOOOOOOOOO, I know I have more reading to do. I know I need to pick up a copy of competion car suspension and read it. What other books should I pick up? Any other forums specifically geared @ handling and chassis design / fab?

I've determined that I'm not starting this project for AT LEAST 6 months, probably more. The WRX is getting paid off first, and I need to plan financially for my house. In the mean time, the planning / design, and study phase can go on for very cheap. I'm not here to reinvent the wheel...just here to hopefully get everyone's help and great knowledge. This is a project that can finally get me book, hands on, and theoretical items all rolled into one and then teach me setups and impimentation on the courses. We have one of the best information databases in the world (webfront with human minds) and I do mean that. So, thanks family!!!!

Quick Reply: Suspension / Chassis deisgns...