Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 LeMans

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 01:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 68 LeMans

Kind of new to posting, but been watching and learning for a lot longer.

My hybrid project is a 68 LeMans HT. It is currently undergoing a frame-off resto with a full Hotchkis suspension front & rear. I had to replace the original rotted frame, much of the floors and all of the trunk pan/bracing. The welding/grinding and painting of those areas is now complete and the frame is now bolted back to the body. I will be searching for an LSx pullout soon.

Many of the questions I've had concerning this project have been answered already by using the search function, but when I come across other questions (I know I will), I will not hesitate to ask them here first.

I've rambled long enough (sorry). Click on the link for a few photos of the car and what's been done so far. (Pics are not in order)

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o.../68LeMans_ls1/

Tony

Last edited by GOLDRUSH98; 05-10-2007 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

Wow those are nice shots of your work. I have a friend that has had his 69 LeMans 'vert since he was 15 (almost 40 now). His Grandmother lent him the money to buy it. At one point he also had a 69 HT that was off by just 1 number in the vin. When he sold it, the new owner took the engine, trans, and interior out and replaced them with Buick parts. JIm bought the whole lot for $100. That engine was warmed over and is now in the 'vert so that he can go back to matching numbers any time he wants. I know the kind of work you have into your car cause we just redid his again last year... quarters, trunk, interior, wireing, gas tank, the whole nine. Keep us posted on the swap, she should be sweet when its done.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a nice project. Keep up the work.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:40 AM
Teching In

Default Thanks...

for the encouragement. This project has been overwhelming at times, epsecially doing all the work so far by myself. The car has come a long way since I started tearing it apart in March 06, but there is still a lot of work left to do. The car is now put up until it gets warmer, so my progress will not move until the weather breaks in the spring. This little break will let my bank account and my knuckles recover from the thrashing they all took while working on the car. However the break will also allow me to gather more parts so I can jump right back into it in the spring.

Here's another few shots of what I started with. The previous owner made a lame attempt to make it a GTO clone, but failed miserably. The shots with the 16" tires/rims are what I'm thinking of using, but that may change too. It looks decent from the pics, but was in tuff shape structurally. Can you say "EXPANDING FOAM" to seal the trunk. I don't know what people are thinking sometimes.

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...LeMans_Before/

Thanks,
Tony
Old 01-04-2007, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

AS you already know, your Pontiac is an A-body. There are quite a few people here that has done the LSX swap already. So you will have alot of info if you should ever run into a problem.

A buddy of mine also has a 68 LeMans. The car has been the same for 20 years. He just got it out this summer for the first time since 94. The car is silver w/ black interior.

Good luck with your project!

Ron
Old 01-04-2007, 09:19 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,163 Likes on 756 Posts

Is it Lemans Blue? My first car was my parent's old 1968 Lemans, Lemans Blue, black interior, 3502bbl, and 'glide. I put a GTO hood on it and beat the crap out of it. They always rusted out if they had those chrome moldings around the fenders.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:31 AM
Teching In

Default Color

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Is it Lemans Blue?
I'm not sure of the color, the previous owner painted it this color but that sounds about right. It appears to be at least the 2nd re-paint over the original turquoise color with multiple layers of primer between coats. I plan on stripping the car down to bare metal, making the necessary metal repairs and then having a professional take care of the rest of it. This will all take place after the fitting of the transplant LSx has taken place.

I'm kind of torn right now on colors, but I've narrowed it down to a Cobolt Blue with white interior and Black with Red interior. But that could change by the time I'm ready for paint.

Originally Posted by TT402LS1
AS you already know, your Pontiac is an A-body. There are quite a few people here that has done the LSX swap already. So you will have alot of info if you should ever run into a problem.
LS1tech has been a huge source of information for this project and I'm sure it will continue to be. The level of knowledge here continues to amaze me.

Thanks for the input,
Tony

Last edited by GOLDRUSH98; 05-14-2007 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Quick update:

I picked up a low mileage LS1/A4 dropout from a 02 TransAm a couple of weeks ago (Cleveland Pick-a-Part). I've removed most of the front accessories, manifolds, wiring harness etc and have done my first trial-fit.
I've decided to go with BRP style mounts so I don't have to modify the oil pan. I've got lots of decisions yet to make for other areas of this swap, but I do know that SPEARTECH will be getting my business for the wiring harness. I'll try to keep this updated as much as I can.

Thanks again to LS1tech.com for the inspiration.

Click on link in signature for some pics...

Tony

Last edited by GOLDRUSH98; 05-10-2007 at 01:14 PM.

Quick Reply: 68 LeMans