Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chevelle Cowl Induction

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 09:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry I didn't respond sooner.. was out drive around this weekend !

Pat- I am sure we will meet up in Reno again.. for sure !

Yes. the Flapper does work. it is fun watch it open and close as I step on it !

I have not started to hook up the A/C yet.. still Winter here too.. LOL..
I don't recall the manufactor of the A/C block Manifold, but I am sure if you have a A/C shop or Tubing shop in the area.. they will have some Catalogs for the parts.. I will try and get down to that shop and see if I can look at the Catalog again and get the part number and manufactor name.

Yeah..I thought about hacking into the firewall/cowl area.. But I already had the Cowl Hood.. else... I think going into the firewall like the NASCAR style, that way if you don't have a Cowl Induction hood,it would still pull fresh air from the Cowl vents. But I think I am done with the Hacking for now (at lease until the next project).

The Upper Rad hose is just a stock 98 Camaro (5.7L), ACDelco #26347X .. it works ok.. but with my air ducting going right above it, I don't want the heat to get to the intake air... I am thinking of mod'in it to push it out farther away from the block before it turn to the Rad .. maybe just get a short hose with a 90 in it and spice it with one of those emergency repair tubing kits or something ..

Thanks for the good words..
Old 01-22-2007, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good. I've seen a similar setup on a 70's Camaro. Yours looks very slick. Get some in car footage of the flapper opening!!! We need more videos of LS1 powered cars.

-Matt
Old 01-23-2007, 07:23 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Very cool! Have you noticed any performance difference with air coming in the motor fromthe cowl?
Old 01-23-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hi John..

I really can't say I have noticed anything at all.. as this is my 1st LSx engine that I
have owned and have only had it running for a short time since swapping it in..

So.. any performance gain...would be hard for me to judge and being in a Chevelle would be hard to compare to a 4th Gen F-Body that I have driven. With this setup, the Intake track is complete seal to the Cowl area air intake so.. that has to be a plus for cold air.
Next will be a 3x14" K&N Filter and a K&N top.. that should also add a few CFM to the intake flow.

But with a stock 99' LS1, no smog, 2 1/2" H pipe exhaust w/Flowmaster, a mild Performance Tune, 4.11 gears.. this thing Torques and pulls great ! Still in Shake down mode as this was a ground up Resto.. (I am waiting for something to fall off due to me forgetting to tighten it ! LOL)

It is fun watch that flapper opening and close as I step on it.. LOL.. I will try and get a video of it soon.

If I can borrow my Snap-On Dealer Scanner, I will see if it give me the IAT reading and that may give a good indication of how much cold air it is really getting to the intake.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:17 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi John..

I really can't say I have noticed anything at all.. as this is my 1st LSx engine that I
have owned and have only had it running for a short time since swapping it in..

So.. any performance gain...would be hard for me to judge and being in a Chevelle would be hard to compare to a 4th Gen F-Body that I have driven. With this setup, the Intake track is complete seal to the Cowl area air intake so.. that has to be a plus for cold air.
Next will be a 3x14" K&N Filter and a K&N top.. that should also add a few CFM to the intake flow.

But with a stock 99' LS1, no smog, 2 1/2" H pipe exhaust w/Flowmaster, a mild Performance Tune, 4.11 gears.. this thing Torques and pulls great ! Still in Shake down mode as this was a ground up Resto.. (I am waiting for something to fall off due to me forgetting to tighten it ! LOL)

It is fun watch that flapper opening and close as I step on it.. LOL.. I will try and get a video of it soon.

If I can borrow my Snap-On Dealer Scanner, I will see if it give me the IAT reading and that may give a good indication of how much cold air it is really getting to the intake.
Thanks, I thought that maybe you had a chance to drive the car a bit before and that you might have a SOTP comparison.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:52 PM
Teching In

Brian,

Not to hijack the thread on your cowl induction, but I heard you talking about the a/c set up in your car. I found a company that has different compressor blocks for the rear of the compressor with threaded ends. The also have blank blocks you can drill and tap or braze fitting on to. Send me an email if you want the link.

BRIAN
Attached Thumbnails Chevelle Cowl Induction-comp.block1.jpg   Chevelle Cowl Induction-comp.block3.gif  
Old 01-24-2007, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

That's simply a great idea and design.

Good job!
Old 06-07-2009, 02:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This man deserves an award for this. Its truly a work of art.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:00 PM
Launching!

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but is there a site to buy those plastic air intake adapters? The elbows and elbows that went from round to oval? I was planning on doing the same thing on my LT1 chevelle that I am building now and wasnt sure if I would have to make up my own air intake pieces.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

drptop70ss, I got the rubber elbow from Jagsthatruns.com.. I used the following 1) 90 deg 4" to 3 1/2" elbow, 1) 90 deg 3 1/2" and 1) 45 deg 3 1/2" elbow.. To make it oval.. I just took a piece of 3 1/2" alum tube and flatten it to it was about the oval shape I needed it, I used to 2" pipes inside to keep it just round enough on the outer side of the oval. I then used the oval peice it to join the 90 to 45 elbow with then lead into the airbox that has a oval tube in it.
If I did it again, I would use some alum elbow and have my friend Tig it once I got it to the correct shapes and then either Jet coat, paint or polish it. Let me know if you have any other questions...
Old 06-08-2009, 07:17 AM
Launching!

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

very cool, thanks for the info..I will most likely stick with the black, I am trying to make everything look factory so nothing too flashy. I was going to make mine out of an air cleaner but I think you have the right idea to just make the housing from scratch.

Quick Reply: Chevelle Cowl Induction