Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeep wrangler ls1 swap blog, check out my progress

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007 | 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For the rest of us who aren't competitors and don't routinely throw the trans from forward to reverse under throttle at speed, the 60 is just fine. My particular trans has been in an off road only rig for years.

Not to mention the 80 is heavier, longer, not geared as deep in first, and creates driveline problems for a RHD transfer case. (And yes, I already run a 2-piece front)

The street guys put more of a hurting on a trans than we do, with the exception of the drive-to-reverse shifts, which probably less than .5% of all people with a 4wd have ever done or will do.

Controlling shift firmness would be very very nice. That damn 1-2 shift in low range is enough to make me want to go full manual VB just so I can start in 2nd...
Old 03-19-2007 | 10:56 AM
Teching In

Are you using Novak adapters?
Old 03-22-2007 | 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by LS1YJ
Are you using Novak adapters?

ya, motor mounts and 4l60e transmission to np231 t/c adapter
Old 03-23-2007 | 01:54 AM
Teching In

Very nice! I am impressed...let us know how the install went.
Old 03-29-2007 | 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

i cut the old motor mounts off and shaved the drivers side. by the time i was done with that it was dark so i didnt get to finish the passenger side

Old 04-02-2007 | 06:49 AM
Teching In

Hello,

This is my first post on this board.

I'm glad to see someone doing a Wrangler/LS1 swap. I'm currently installing a LS1 w/ 4L60E connect to np231. I'm using a adapter from advance adapters. I was going to go with Navak adapter but it was back ordered.

I look forward to the performance that this swap will offer.
Old 04-02-2007 | 07:14 AM
TECH Veteran

God I miss my TJ even more now. Makes me rethink my truck needs. Alot of work but just as much as my old Toyota Small Block days Good luck with your build that thing is gonna be fun when its done.
Old 04-03-2007 | 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by bacressey
Hello,

This is my first post on this board.

I'm glad to see someone doing a Wrangler/LS1 swap. I'm currently installing a LS1 w/ 4L60E connect to np231. I'm using a adapter from advance adapters. I was going to go with Navak adapter but it was back ordered.

I look forward to the performance that this swap will offer.
funny thing you said that about novak- i finally got an email from them today(after 2 weeks of basicly nothing) and they said its been hectic over there and that they might ship out my 4l60e adapter this week if im lucky

anyways i droped the engine on the frame just to see what problems i would run into. no major problems, except i will have to cut and re-strengthen the frame in order to use a/c

Old 04-04-2007 | 02:18 PM
Teching In

That engine looks good!!! I'm about a week away from sitting the LS1 between the frame rails, I still need to send my 4l60e out to have a new output shaft install.

The tranny is being a pain, I can't get it off!!! I have removed all the bolts but is still won't come lose. The guy at NAPA says "just smack it with a big hammer". But I'm to scared to do that.
Old 04-04-2007 | 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

That engine looks good!!! I'm about a week away from sitting the LS1 between the frame rails, I still need to send my 4l60e out to have a new output shaft install.

The tranny is being a pain, I can't get it off!!! I have removed all the bolts but is still won't come lose. The guy at NAPA says "just smack it with a big hammer". But I'm to scared to do that.

your sending it away to get the input shaft put in the trans? so you can use the adapter for the transfer case right? its not that hard at all to do as so the adapter company says, havent done mine yet still looking fora trans.

and to get the trasmission off your either gonna need to hit it with a big hammer or get 2 pry bars and a friend to tap them into each side of the engine between the trans and engine and just wingle them hard to seperate the 2, dont worry you wont hurt nothin
Old 04-04-2007 | 08:33 PM
Teching In

To install the new output shaft. You have to remove the shaft from the front of the transmission. I'm to scared to do that myself. My luck I'll pull a cover off and a spring will go flying accross the garage. So I'm going to have a local transmission shop do it. They'll probably do it in half the time that I could. All I need is to have them swap out the shaft, I can take care of the rest.

As for the transmission, At 2110 the engine finally released the transmission. Holy cow, it seem like everything is being difficult.

Below is the 4L60e with the tailhousing removed exposing the out put staft. One of the pictures show the new shaft which is a couple of inches shorter
Attached Thumbnails Jeep wrangler ls1 swap blog, check out my progress-img_0617-2-.jpg   Jeep wrangler ls1 swap blog, check out my progress-img_0618-2-.jpg   Jeep wrangler ls1 swap blog, check out my progress-img_0608-2-.jpg  
Old 04-04-2007 | 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

To install the new output shaft. You have to remove the shaft from the front of the transmission. I'm to scared to do that myself. My luck I'll pull a cover off and a spring will go flying accross the garage. So I'm going to have a local transmission shop do it. They'll probably do it in half the time that I could. All I need is to have them swap out the shaft, I can take care of the rest.

As for the transmission, At 2110 the engine finally released the transmission. Holy cow, it seem like everything is being difficult.

Below is the 4L60e with the tailhousing removed exposing the out put staft. One of the pictures show the new shaft which is a couple of inches shorter

thats awesome, what are you doing about a shifter? i think im going to order an ugly one from Lokar since it seems like no B&M shifter will work easily
Old 04-05-2007 | 03:00 AM
Teching In

I'm doing a CJ-7 with a 5.3/4L60E.............I too, was looking at either Lokar, or Art Carr, shifter..................I'm glad to hear someone else is waiting on adapters from Novak..........been waiting 4 weeks, hopefully comes in this week. Wire harness is going out this week, to get set-up for my Jeep. If y'all don't mind, I might get with you, to make sure all of the vacuum lines etc..........get hooked up correctly. My motor has some stuff, but not sure it has everything. I've got everything under hood out, finally, so when I get all of my adapters in, the install can commence. I'm really looking forward to it. Looking to hear how others installs go.

Pick
Old 04-05-2007 | 10:10 AM
Teching In

I drop my trans off at the shop this morning, should be done later today. I'm also think of the Lokar, no sure on what lenght. I'm having a hard time justifing $175 for a shifter.

I was orginally going to go with novak for everthing, but when they told me I was going to have to wait I order a adapter from Advance adapters. I still ordered the motor mounts from navak.

TXjeeptj, Pick01 Are you guys doing anyother work to you jeeps? I already did the Slip yoke eliminator. I still need to get a Ford 8.8 for the rear end, and paint the tub. This poject is getting bigger each day.

What do you guys thing of the fender flare that they sell at TnT customs.
Old 04-05-2007 | 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

the t&t fenders are pretty cool, but i dont think id do it just because im too worried about the engine right now. im also getting an 8.8 but after the engine is installed(im just going to baby the throttle until i can afford one)

good thing you didnt go to novak, i wish i would have ordered from advance. ive also been waiting about 4 months for my adapter also, and their customer service doesnt like to talk back to waiting customers
Old 04-05-2007 | 11:36 AM
Teching In

I got the feeling that our jeep will be rocket when they are done. I just can't wait to here it run. Even if its for only 20 seconds.

Have you sent you computer out to get reprogrammed?
Old 04-05-2007 | 06:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TXjeepTJ
thats awesome, what are you doing about a shifter? i think im going to order an ugly one from Lokar since it seems like no B&M shifter will work easily

Hi, Looking Good!
I have a 4l60e transmission. How I understand it you do to.
I am using a B&M prostick with cable.I had to replace gate plate with one with overdrive.But,it seems fine.
Old 04-05-2007 | 08:59 PM
Teching In

TXjeepTJ- I picked up my transmission this afternoon with the shorter shaft. Tonight I installed the adapter kit, now its ready for the transfer case.
Hopefully you will get your kit soon.
Attached Thumbnails Jeep wrangler ls1 swap blog, check out my progress-img_0626-2-.jpg   Jeep wrangler ls1 swap blog, check out my progress-img_0635-2-.jpg  
Old 04-06-2007 | 01:37 AM
Teching In

As far as other work..........I found a Dana 44, so I pick that up today........has better gearing then my AMC 20, and one piece axles, should be plenty strong enough.......considering some paint, but not sure.................I want to finish engine/tranny install and get it running good, before I take on that task. My Jeep is about 99% rust free, and paint is in good shape, just not a color, I really care for, but I can live with it. Besides, I feel it gives me more of a "sleeper". Back to the point though, main objective............running right. Anyone, decide on shifter yet? None of them are cheap, but I want one, that once set-up, will be permanent. Lokar, I think would still give a "stock" look............so, I'm leaning that way, personally. BTW, I have a Dana 300, so I don't need a slip yoke. Once I check placement, might need new shafts though, don't know yet.

Pick
Old 04-06-2007 | 01:51 AM
Staging Lane

couple of questions for you guys..

which fuel system areyou using? stock pump and line up to the motor then hooking that to the 5.3 fuel rail?

does the stock 4.0 system use a return line?

are you deleting the 5.3 line?

does this raise the 4.0 jeep fuel systems pressure. or will it stay the same?

who harness are you using?

steve

Quick Reply: Jeep wrangler ls1 swap blog, check out my progress