Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeep wrangler ls1 swap blog, check out my progress

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1wrangler
can you elaborate on the A/C customization? pics?

I'm going to pickup my LS1 in two weeks from a wrecked fbody, and I want to make sure I get all the parts I will need, I'd hate to have to drive 2hrs back to get a vital component, it's a buddy of mine so he's not nickle and dime'ing me for the parts
well the a/c i took it to a guy to get it customized(big waste of money) all he did was take the part that connects to the back of the compressor and got hoses welded to it that then connected to the jeeps a/c hoses
Old 04-16-2008, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

here are some pics. they are bad because this is a very tight fit plus it was night time

this is the back of the ls1 compressor, you can see the piece that attaches to the back of it. all he did was take that piece and get lines welded to it that go in the direction they need to be going(you will see in the 2nd pic more clearly)

and heres a view from up top, you can see the 2 aluminum tubes coming from behind the compressor, one goes towards to firewall and the other to the front
Old 04-28-2008, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW!!! i want to do the same thing to my Jeep. (95 YJ) This is very impressive!
Old 04-28-2008, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by l3it3r
WOW!!! i want to do the same thing to my Jeep. (95 YJ) This is very impressive!
thanks!

and for the record/informational purposes. i know alot of people dont use a/c on the TJ swaps because they have to cut/notch the frame for the ac compressor to fit. well i found a relocating bracket today soo all your frame notching worries are over

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Camar...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 05-01-2008, 07:57 AM
Teching In

Excellent, I'm going to look into the addition of AC when I do the swap. I'll have to really start keeping a web 'journal' of all this info!
Old 10-17-2008, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just finished reading all of this thread... All I can say is that is awesome. I have a Jeep, a CJ7, that I did a SBC conversion into. When I did it I really wanted to do the ls1 swap, but when I started I was only 15 and money was scarce and they did not have all the swap stuff they do now so it would have been even more work; wiring harnesses were more expensive and I ended up not being able to do it. Post some more pictures of ur progress.

I have an fbody now and the jeep with a small block crate motor... wish it could have been the ls style engine but its still a lot of fun.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXjeepTJ
thanks!
and for the record/informational purposes. i know alot of people dont use a/c on the TJ swaps because they have to cut/notch the frame for the ac compressor to fit. well i found a relocating bracket today soo all your frame notching worries are over

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Camar...QQcmdZViewItem
Could that bracket be used in a 3rd gen so you don't have to cut the front crossmember?!
Old 01-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Launching!

Question.... With the LS, 4l60E, spacer/adapter - did it all line up to the current tranny mount? Did you have to modify drivelines?
Old 01-01-2009, 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by waynehartwig
Question.... With the LS, 4l60E, spacer/adapter - did it all line up to the current tranny mount? Did you have to modify drivelines?
Mine didn't. But AA has tranny mounts/bushings that you can use with the stock skid pan if you want, or just make your own. I just drilled new holes in the existing skid and bolted it up.

This is the one I used.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 98blackSS
Mine didn't. But AA has tranny mounts/bushings that you can use with the stock skid pan if you want, or just make your own. I just drilled new holes in the existing skid and bolted it up.

This is the one I used.
Sorry, maybe you answered but did you have to modify drivelines?

I'm just trying to get all of my ducks in a row before I start this swap. I'm kind of on a timeline once I start....
Old 01-01-2009, 11:49 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry, maybe you answered but did you have to modify drivelines?

I'm just trying to get all of my ducks in a row before I start this swap. I'm kind of on a timeline once I start....
No problem. I'm using:
Jeep D44 rear, now w/locker (swap to D60/14B soon)
Jeep D30 front, now w/locker (swap to D60 soon)
Stock front driveshaft
NP231 w/SYE and CV driveshaft (that were on my lifted Jeep prior to the V8 swap)
Advance adapter's 4L60E to NP231 adapter plate & trans output shaft
5.3L/4L60E that I got from the pull

There are a few options available as far as which parts and adapters you can use. Novak and AA are probably the most popular companies for sources.

I think TXJeepTJ used a couple of different manufacturer's parts, but I don't recall which at the moment, might have been the motor mounts. Either ones will work fine though.

As far as the stock driveshafts are concerned, I believe I flat out lucked out here. A lot of people end up having to go with custom length driveshafts due to engine placement, etc.

Both TXJeep and I tore down the trannys to swap in the new output shaft to work with the 231 TC. It's sort of a tedious and messy job to do if you've never torn one down, but doable..
Old 01-02-2009, 09:55 AM
Launching!

Very cool!! I've been leaning towards buying most of the things that I will need from AA already because of professional reasons

They also have this instead of taking the tranny apart..

http://advanceadapters.com/product/1639/50-0435.html

Anyone done the wiring/tune themselves? Seriously considering HPTune and doing the wiring and tuning myself.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:43 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I forgot to mention that you can just use a 4WD 4L60E and swap TC input shafts and use their adapter. My tranny was a 2WD version which won't allow that because the output shaft is much longer. AA also sells 4L60E's already set up if you're starting with nothing.

I used the donor wiring harness that came with my engine/trans and just modified it to work with the Jeep. This is definitely a much more tedious way of doing things, but definitely saved me some money. A label maker is worth gold here

I use HPt pro w/wideband myself. The donor motor came without an ECM, so I bought a blank one off ebay and flashed it. Let me know if you need any help in these areas..
Old 01-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Launching!

Yeah, I forgot to mention that you can just use a 4WD 4L60E and swap TC input shafts and use their adapter. My tranny was a 2WD version which won't allow that because the output shaft is much longer. AA also sells 4L60E's already set up if you're starting with nothing.

I used the donor wiring harness that came with my engine/trans and just modified it to work with the Jeep. This is definitely a much more tedious way of doing things, but definitely saved me some money. A label maker is worth gold here

I use HPt pro w/wideband myself. The donor motor came without an ECM, so I bought a blank one off ebay and flashed it. Let me know if you need any help in these areas..
I already have the motor/trans/wiring/peddle/PCM/etc.... Donor was an 08 Silverado 4x4.

So yes, have the 4x4 trans - so awesome! And a big YES that I'll have more questions on the HPt

Did you replace the stock o2 sensors with widebands? Or did you add the wideband down stream somewhere?
Old 01-02-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Resident

Did you replace the stock o2 sensors with widebands? Or did you add the wideband down stream somewhere?
The 4wd trans will make things easier. I welded in a separate bung for the wideband and added a sensor for tuning. Of course, I left it in there and somehow dented the hell out of it while rock crawling at Rausch Creek this past summer, so I doubt it's working anymore.

Good luck with your project and don't hesitate to ask questions.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:37 PM
Launching!

The 4wd trans will make things easier. I welded in a separate bung for the wideband and added a sensor for tuning. Of course, I left it in there and somehow dented the hell out of it while rock crawling at Rausch Creek this past summer, so I doubt it's working anymore.

Good luck with your project and don't hesitate to ask questions.
Cool thanks!! I'll be back when I start this I'm sure...
Old 10-23-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

sorry it took me a year to get this pics up!

Old 10-24-2009, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you still have it? I knew for a while you were looking at getting out of it for a f-body. I definitely plan to do this some time in the future, and definitely with a TJ, or LJ!!
Old 11-23-2009, 11:51 PM
Staging Lane

just starting a similar TJ project, very inspiring

Quick Reply: Jeep wrangler ls1 swap blog, check out my progress