Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Story of our LS1 swap into 67 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trans, shifter, bellhousing and clutch are sold.

Starting to wonder what we will do with the 350 and T10 that are in the car. Thought I might ask around and see if there any interest out there in the combo that was in her when we bought her.

1976 Chevy 350 Block 3970010 (69-79 350)
Stamped T6J577736 (1976 Janesville)
V0603TKB (***. June in Flint)
Most likely source 76 LS-9 (Truck)

Ramshead Manifolds:
Driver 3855183
Pass 3905364

T10 4 speed (excelent condition, linkage just rebuilt)
[using 10.5 inch, 153 tooth] 1962 10spline
Maincase-
A 18 62
T10-1C 3782212 (1961-62 maincase)
Tailshaft-
T10-7D 3813490
R-1
4/18/1962 (Corvette, B-Body)

Bellhousing:
3858403 Aluminum 64-72 SBC 153 tooth only

Clutch assembly (Brand new, works great!)
(to order, use 1969 Impala, 327, VIN FB, 10.4 inch)

Plugs used: R45TS
Edelbrock spreadbore intake.
Using Edelbrock performer, but adding that to the carb collection.

Combination works great, but recommend using it with a 2.73 or higher if you want any fuel economy on the highway. With a 3.08, it is a little high reving for comfortable freeway use. Not sure if we are going to put it in another car, or if someone out there needs it more than we do. The trans is from a Corvette, as near as we can figure, because the shift linkage (Hurst) comes up as a Corvette only app (explaining the funny hole in the trans tunnel), and there is not way it would have cleared the bench in an Impala. We are located in MN.

Also,
Is anyone interested in the a/c compressor/bracket from the 02 LS1, manifolds, and motor mounts? We don't need them.

Last edited by 67rsss; 05-17-2007 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Sold
Old 04-20-2007, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

There may be some repeat info in here, but this is the entry from the main journal.....

A lot has happened in the last few weeks! Had an emergency trip to make, but it looks like everything will be fine and we are very relieved. Got the motor and trans apart and on stands. Almost everything that has been ordered is here now except for the fuel tank and headers. Have finalized the fluids hookup drawing and identified all the parts. Will get them all on order tonight or tomorow. The harness has been sent off to John at Speartech, and we returned the Oilpan and MAF cores to S&P. Also returned the EGR block off plate, as the LS6 manifold doesn't need it. Decided that we don't need the oil pressure tree, so that went back too. The gauge in the console uses a siphon tube, not a sender. The modified pan from S&P is really nicely welded. The mount plates are very well made as well. S&P may be pricey, but everything we have gotten from them has been of the highest quality except the adjustable fan kit. We think that is a bit hokey, but looking around, they are all like this. We will mount it nicely in a little box, and change the **** for something a bit more attractive. We really like the MAF/AirCleaner, that is very nicely done. Only complaint is that it has Street and Performance ball milled into the cover. We may fill that when we paint the car and paint the cover maroon and use white lettering on the LS1 engraving. We have removed the emmisions stuff from the motor, and even though it looks like the clutch was done recently, we have decided to change it, much easier now than when it is in the car. We had put the car back together, so this weekend we are going to tear it back down, and pull the 350/T10 out of it. After that, we are going to clean up the bay, and get it all painted, and clean up the LS1. We would like to get a test fit of the engine and trans by next weekend at the latest. We are going to shoot for a 2* down angle on the trans crossmember. Not much left to order, the only biggy is the exhaust, but we don't want to store it. We are working hard on figuring out the little things before we start the swap. We are not sure if we need to add a CPP switch (Clutch Pedal Position), or if Speartech will eliminate the Reverse Lock-Out function. Not sure if we need it, but will play that by ear. Still wondering about where we will mount the computer. We have decided to use the Dakota Digital SGI-8 to hookup the factory tach to the tach line from the PCM. We know we could change the signal in the PCM, but don't really want to mess with programming the computer yet, we want to get more familiar with the LS series engine first. The Cable-X is in a hokey box, but other than that seems like a great solution for us. Need to change the brake switch to allow for a hookup to the computer! Car also needs to have back-up lights added, it does not currently have any!!!!!!! We finaly got the infra-redthermometer so we can set the fan controller when that is in. Have not decided on what we want to do for a catch can yet on the radiator, we do not like the JAZ can that is currently in the car. Driveshaft is still up in the air. Until the engine and trans are in, we have no idea what we need for length. There are definitely some areas where we could have saved a bit of money. Turns out that the block is an LS6 block (12561168), so that is nice. A bit stronger, and better ventilation on the internals. The heads are LS1 (241), and the intake is LS6. We are still wondering about the 3.08 rear, but with 6 gears, we should be able to drive it.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:15 AM
TECH Resident

I don't have brake or clutch switches connected to my PCM right now, and reverse lock-out works properly. I'll have to add both when I finally scrounge up a cruise control module and install it.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

That is good to know, thank you very much. I was starting to wonder how to add them, and why they are needed, but the scant info I have found on the CPP has not told me much. You get your convert brace in yet? What did you do for the driveshaft? We have the shaft from the donor, and the shaft that is in the car right now, and I am certain that we will find a length difference, as this T56 is pretty huge...
Old 04-20-2007, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Headers just came in! 2 weeks early to boot. Say what you want about S&P, these things are NICE! Totally worth $550, and came with gaskets, bolts, and collectors.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:50 PM
Teching In

ok, I have loacted a LS1 engine/trans out of a '02 Trans Am. Price seems good, <4000. But convincing the wife might be something else. We're in the middle of putting in a pool.

67RSSS, thanks for the info about the steering, it looks like you have the same steering box I've just installed in the Firebird, I went through O'reilly, there I get a lifetime warranty on it, and if I remember correctly, the box they gave me was from A1Cardone. I got the pump through them also, but won't be needing that if the LS1 swap goes through. I'm really nervous about tackling something like this. I was reading you post and didn't know half of what you were talking about.

Have you already talked about motor mounts??

Do you expect any issues with getting the headers to fit??
Old 04-20-2007, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cvitte,
The headers where designed specifically for this swap. You should read through some of the swaps on S&P's site ( hotrodlane.cc ) A lot of people are making mount plates now. We bought the plates from S&P, but I think next time we will buy them from CPP. Just say them in their add in Super Chevy, and they are cheaper, and include the new mount. They are not as pretty, but who sees them? You will LOVE the new steering gear, makes a huge difference. If you send me your e-mail, I would be more than happy to send you a listing of everything we have or know so far, including costs. When we are done, we will post a final version.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Keep up the good work! I have been following this from the beginning, and can't wait to read more. This is very informative, and exactly what I would expect comming from this site!

Chris
Old 04-21-2007, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you. We are cleaning the engine up a litle, and have the headers mocked up on it. I will post some pics of it later.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 67rsss
That is good to know, thank you very much. I was starting to wonder how to add them, and why they are needed, but the scant info I have found on the CPP has not told me much. You get your convert brace in yet? What did you do for the driveshaft? We have the shaft from the donor, and the shaft that is in the car right now, and I am certain that we will find a length difference, as this T56 is pretty huge...
I still haven't put the brace in yet... broke one of the bolts removing it and keep putting off extracting it. I had a new 3.5" steel driveshaft with 1350 U-joints made by Scott at Driveline Solutions. They're a sponsor, very active in the Gears & Axles for here, and their URL is http://www.driveline-solutions.com/. Scott also built my Ford 9".
Old 04-21-2007, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I will add some update info later, busy today. Thought I would post a few pics of the headers and cleanup progress. The new pan is nice, and we are very happy with the headers. Just been cleaning things up mostly. Not looking for show-class just yet, as it will all come back out when it is time for paint and body work, but it is easier to work with something that is at least clean... There is more pics on the fquick, but thought I would post a few for those that don't want to go look...

Cleaning-

Driver header mockup-

Pass header mockup-

New modified pan-

Shifter relocate kit from Mcleod-

We hope to have the sheetmetal pulled tonight, and fluids drained so we can pull the motor in the morning!
Old 04-21-2007, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, we have the front end off, core support out, fluids drained. A few wires and the fuel lines to go, and the motor and trans are coming out. We are very happy to report that we completely disassembled the front end sheetmetal in 1 hour and 5 minutes. Having done it a few weeks ago really helped. New bolts are awesome. We should be able to begin cleaning up and painting tomorow afternoon, and hopefully, by next weekend, we will be ready for the first trial fit of the LS1/T56. We will get some pics of this afternoons progress up as soon as we can. Also, noted that I made a mistake in the size of one fitting on the parts list, the return side of the water pump from the heater core should read as 11/16, not 5/8, I will update the parts list and drawing soon.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is the latest progress. We only worked for half the day, had other chores to do. Motor and trans are out, everything is stored up safely. Note the cheap storage solution for the fenders and front end components. Everything fits nicely on a few adjustable saw horses. Bumper is wrapped in bubble wrap and in the back seat. It is in excellent shape, don't want to risk it. We thought this was a decent bit of work for the afternoon.

With motor,

Without!

Stacking the sheetmetal....

Covered for safety.

Everything put away.

Different angle
Old 04-23-2007, 08:15 AM
Staging Lane

Can you tell me about this shifter? Does it relocate the shifter to more or less the factroy 1st gen position therefor allowing you to use a factory 1st gen console in the stock location? Please say yes!

Lance
Old 04-23-2007, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lance, that is the plan. We have not mocked it up in the car yet, but when I set the T10 next to it, it sure looks like it will fit. We bought this relocater from S&P (it costs $330!), and they have done the swap with console before. It is a hefty piece. We lubed the ball end with lithium based grease, and used sensor safe RTV to seal it. Once we hav eit in the car, we will be posting pics on how the shifter falls in the car. We are adding a console, so if you are willing to give us a few reference dimensions to help locate it, we would appreciate it. We have mounted the original Hurst shift lever to it, and it shift nicely. Watch for more info in the coming weeks...
Old 04-23-2007, 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

Lance, that is the plan. We have not mocked it up in the car yet, but when I set the T10 next to it, it sure looks like it will fit. We bought this relocater from S&P (it costs $330!), and they have done the swap with console before. It is a hefty piece. We lubed the ball end with lithium based grease, and used sensor safe RTV to seal it. Once we hav eit in the car, we will be posting pics on how the shifter falls in the car. We are adding a console, so if you are willing to give us a few reference dimensions to help locate it, we would appreciate it. We have mounted the original Hurst shift lever to it, and it shift nicely. Watch for more info in the coming weeks...
Locate the 67 console? I can measure anything you want. Mine's a 69 though? It is originally a console car though. It currently has a Richmond ROD 6 speed in it so the actual shifter isn't in the right place but the console has never moved. $330 for a shifter wow, but then I guess it beats hacking the car up.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

That is what we felt also. We know we can eyeball it, and make it look decent. Didn't realize yours was a 69. SHould be the same position though. Comparing the trans locations, it sure looks correct. I have looked around for a cheaper price on the Mcleod shifter relocator, but haven't found anything. In the pic, you can see the part number. It is a 2.300 inch forward offset, with no side-to-side offset. Can't wait to see how well it fits!
Old 04-23-2007, 11:42 AM
Staging Lane

That is what we felt also. We know we can eyeball it, and make it look decent. Didn't realize yours was a 69. SHould be the same position though. Comparing the trans locations, it sure looks correct. I have looked around for a cheaper price on the Mcleod shifter relocator, but haven't found anything. In the pic, you can see the part number. It is a 2.300 inch forward offset, with no side-to-side offset. Can't wait to see how well it fits!
Yes I saw the part number in the picture and went shopping myself. It's a tiny bit cheaper at Summit but not much..... How does it feel when you row it thru the gears compared to the original shifter? Any increased travel or sloppiness?

Yes mine is a 69. It's in my signature as "Next in line". I finally made room for it in my garage and expect to part the car for a complete rotisserie restoration in the next month or so. The LS1/T56 combo was the last big hard to find expensive thing I needed to get and I found a 2002 Camaro SS donor car just a few weeks ago. So you're post and info is perfectly timed

Lance
Old 04-23-2007, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Glad we could help. We have been trying very hard to keep track of where we bought what, and why. The shifter feels very nice! It has a good solid feel, and the bellville washer assembly gives it a good centering feel. May cost a fortune, but it is a quality built piece. I do not ever expect trouble out of it. The throw doesn't feel any longer than the stock unit, but I will mention that the fourth gen shift lever will NOT fit the Mcleod unit without modification. The stub is way to wide. Luckily, the hurst shift lever fits perfectly. We ordered a 6 speed white **** from summit today. Will get pics up as we can. Thanks for your interest, and feel free to ask for specific pics or info, and if we have or can get it, we are happy to share.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Remembering how LONG our shift lever is, we are only looking at +/- 2inches throw from nuetral (measured at the top of the shift ball on a 15inch handle). With a short shifter, this would be a very short throw.

Quick Reply: Story of our LS1 swap into 67 Camaro