Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for an L92/6L80E or LQ9/4L80E donor vehicle but no luck

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jsconiers
'JustDreamin' do you know if turbo time makes motor mounts for a 4.2 to 6.0 swap for trail blazer
I don't know for certain, but my gut feeling is NO.

The reason they're making mounts is to be able to swap an LSx motor into Typhoons & Syclones, which are 1st gen S10's. It just happens that the 2nd gen S10's aren't all that different.

If you're looking to put a V8 into a Trailblazer ('02 and newer), just use the factory parts. The Tblazer is available with a V8 (both the SS's and the long wheelbase versions have V8's available). Find a salvage yard with the parts and pieces you need and buy them. No sense re-inventing the wheel. I think the oil pan has a hole in it for one of the front axleshafts.

'JustDreamin'
Old 03-31-2007, 02:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

dreamin,what does the temp on that run?
Old 03-31-2007, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by s10-den
dreamin,what does the temp on that run?
What'you'talkin'bout Wilis?

Help me out, I'm not sure what you're asking.

'JustDreamin'
Old 03-31-2007, 07:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a wrecked 38,000 miles 2003 Chevy 2500 Series van with an LQ4 and a 4L80E. The deals are out there, you just need to keep an eye out... I bought mine on salvagedirect.com for about $2,300. I it's a dealer only site but I'm not sure... it's been so long since we registered there.

If you ever find something you like on there, PM me or email me.

-Dave
Old 03-31-2007, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Look what we have here...

http://www.salvagedirect.com/asp/vie...?itemid=629705
Old 04-01-2007, 06:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FastKat
Man, that thing is HAMMERED! And for $7k, are there really all that many useful parts in it besides the engine / trans? I dunno....That $7k is about what I spent on all the parts to put my engine / trans / tcase / harness / everything into the truck.

Good link though.....

'JustDreamin'
Old 04-01-2007, 08:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

lol,I mean what does the temp run at or around on your truck?
Old 04-01-2007, 09:56 AM
TECH Addict

Taking another look at the pics, whoever buys that is definitely going to fix it. They will "clip" it, meaning they will cut away the bad sheet metal and pull the frame until it is in factory spec. If that's a full frame vehicle, they might even take the body off the frame and put a new frame under it and transfer over the drivetrain, etc. Then they will cut out the damaged portion of the body and replace it with a good section of body from a salvage yard.

It sounds like a lot of work, and it is... but my auction database is putting the value around $43k with a good title. Now this one has a salvage title which does diminish the value, but there's still some profit to be made if someone can snag this at $7k.

Originally Posted by JustDreamin
Man, that thing is HAMMERED! And for $7k, are there really all that many useful parts in it besides the engine / trans? I dunno....That $7k is about what I spent on all the parts to put my engine / trans / tcase / harness / everything into the truck.

Good link though.....

'JustDreamin'
Old 04-01-2007, 12:36 PM
Teching In

Hammered indeed, but it's mostly hammered in the back. However, it's still worth that money because, as FastKat says, it'll almost certainly be rebuilt. For me, though, it's too much. It'd be nice to have what is more or less my dream drivetrain with less than 5K miles, but not for $7K. Thanks for showing me that, though.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by s10-den
lol,I mean what does the temp run at or around on your truck?
Water temp runs steady at about 180 (has a stock thermostat).

Don't have a gauge for the trans temp (yet, its getting one), but the telling sign that it's not happy is the trans starts shifting funny (now that I think about it, I wonder if my Predator will give me trans temp?)

The 4L80E has a temp sensor in it, and as the temp climbs the shifts get harder (like the 1-2 shift will go BANG and chirp the tires at part throttle) and then the shift points move up (higher rpm) as well. So, it's pretty obvious when the trans ain't happy. Which is why I haven't been driving it much.

Some of this is because I'm not using the trans cooler in the radiator at all. I'm running a stock 4.3 radiator with 2 electric fans and feel that it's already got it's hand full just keeping the motor cool (may not right now, but with a boat behind it will work harder). Doesn't need to cool the tranny too.

I'm upgrading to a pair of 10" x 18" x .75" coolers (run in series) with 2 10" electric fans and a cool variable speed controller. That, and switching to a new front bumper cover (by Xenon) and doing some ducting to make sure the coolers get some air should fix my problems, even while dragging a 4,000lb boat around (which I plan to do).

I know that was long and drawn out. Did it answer your question?

'JustDreamin'
Old 04-01-2007, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

Then they will cut out the damaged portion of the body and replace it with a good section of body from a salvage yard.
How many '07's are there in salvage yards that have parts to cut from? I'd bet there aren't that many, and the ones that are there probably look as bad or worse....

There's a reason why I'm not in that business. I don't have that vision.

'JustDreamin'
Old 04-05-2007, 10:34 PM
Teching In

We should turn this into a 'JustDreamin' Q & A session.lol

'JustDreamin',

Whats involved in a 4L80E swap? How much does trans tunnel have to be beat out? Do you have any pics of that step? I am considering a 98+ S10 swap and I am leaning towards either the 4L80E or T-56. Your advice is appreciated.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:58 PM
TECH Addict

They're out there... when you go to dealer salvage auctions, it's the same guys every week, and you build a network. Whenever they see you buy something, they'll say "Hey, I have all the parts you need to fix that... give me a call" and you get the parts... if you're lucky, in the same color! If there are 20 regular buyers that you see at a given auction every week... and they're each going to a couple other auctions buying wrecks... you get access to a lot of parts.

Having vision is a factor, but it really comes down to numbers. You have to know how much labor and what the parts cost to fix a given wrecked vehicle.

Originally Posted by JustDreamin
How many '07's are there in salvage yards that have parts to cut from? I'd bet there aren't that many, and the ones that are there probably look as bad or worse....

There's a reason why I'm not in that business. I don't have that vision.

'JustDreamin'
Old 04-06-2007, 04:47 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dreamin
What are you doing for the computer and traction control to make it engage properly? I've been told that the trailblazer traction computer is not the greatest. Also has any one looked into the Cadillac SRX. I’m told by Jesse of Wait 4 Me Performance that he’s been wiping the **** out of it and is about to shoot some serious NOS into the little bastard and try to brake it. But even under the higher output motor and Jesse’s special tuning the transmission and the AWD system shift beautify and have great power distribution on all 4 wheels. I want to use the power train with a C5/C6 corvette suspension and make a killer track car.

Any one else have any suggestions on computers?

R^3
Old 04-06-2007, 08:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rat_rod_russell
Dreamin
What are you doing for the computer and traction control to make it engage properly? I've been told that the trailblazer traction computer is not the greatest.
R^3
Well, I'm running the stock Bravada computer. Whether that's a good idea or not, I don't know. Right now, I'm not running in AWD, because certain parts and pieces aren't installed (front diff, front half shafts, front driveshaft). Once I put those pieces in (and get a driveshaft built) I'll be in a better position to comment on the AWD computer.

And if I really don't like how it works, then I'll see what I can do to fix it, either by computer programming (seems unlikely due to difficulty) or by changing Tcases to the BW4472 (all mechanical box). But I'm hoping that I'll be satisfied with the NV146 that's in the truck and the associated controls.

'JustDreamin'
Old 04-07-2007, 08:58 AM
TECH Addict

Here's a link for a 6.0L/4L80E in the forum's for sale section - $1,600

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts-sale/691086-6-0-engine-4l80e-tranny.html
Old 04-14-2007, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Here's a link for a 6.0L/4L80E in the forum's for sale section - $1,600

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691086
It turns out the engine wasn't a 6.0L, but thanks.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

In a similar vein is the fact that all 4th gen F-bodies were equipped with the 7.625" 10-bolt rear axle. 275hp (1993) to 325hp V8's making a fair bit of torque, with manual transmissions, and they use that? What makes it even funnier is that the S10 with the (stunning 190 hp) V6 and 5 speed manual got upgraded from the 7.625" 10-bolt found in most every S10 to the 8.5" 10-bolt found in most 1/2 ton pickups & SUV's. So, why the heck couldn't The General (GM) figure out a way to put the 8.5" 10 bolt into the camaro. It's not like it doesn't fit (9" Fords and 12-bolts fit). They're just idiots sometimes. There's no other plausible explanation.

'JustDreamin'
This is so true........so true
Old 04-15-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MonteCarloNOS
We should turn this into a 'JustDreamin' Q & A session.lol

'JustDreamin',

Whats involved in a 4L80E swap? How much does trans tunnel have to be beat out? Do you have any pics of that step? I am considering a 98+ S10 swap and I am leaning towards either the 4L80E or T-56. Your advice is appreciated.
Somehow I missed this question.

The sheetmetal side of the 80E swap wasn't really all that bad. Trans tunnel is close, but workable. Only really beat on it at the body flange at the firewall (folded the flange into the tunnel). Its also really tight above the tcase.

The thing that was the biggest pain in the butt is that on 4door trucks there is a frame crossmember right ahead of the torsion bar crossmember (not found in other applications. And, in order to be able to get the trans and transfercase installed, I ended up cutting the middle of that crossmember out and replacing it with a removeable section (basically, I left two ears that have torsion bars running through them, and hacked out the rest. Welded 2 slugs in the remaining sections, and fab'd up a piece of 4" C channel (heavy structural stuff) with some ends to mount it in place).

If your truck doesn't have that crossmember, you'll have a bit more room (I needed that 3") because the torsion bar crossmember doesn't move.

I'm seriously considering going to a coilover front suspension (either aftermarket or my own stuff, we'll see), at which point I could eliminate the torsion bars and the associated crossmember. Then, I'd remove my hacked & chopped crossmember and replace it with a bolt in crossmember that runs rail to rail.

No pictures today. Raining. Maybe later.

'JustDreamin'

Quick Reply: Looking for an L92/6L80E or LQ9/4L80E donor vehicle but no luck