Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 A/C on first gen camaro ....how to?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am using the BRP setup with the notched frame. The compressor is the stock LS compressor and the rest of my system is a stock vintage air. I have not charged it up yet or hooked up the harness but is supposed to be a one wire hookup for the A/C request just like any other fuel injection unit. I believe you should be able to use the stock pressure sensor but you may have to use the factory one which may mean some welding or something. The difference may be in that the Vintage is a on off pressure switch and the factory is a pressure sensor that is used to adjust the pressure. The rest is the stock PCM wiring for the compressor. It is a fallacy that the variable compressor will fail and should work better due to it not having an on and off surge. In fact if you are afraid of that you can convert it to a fixed style compressor like the Sanden style just do a search on this site. You can use a block adapter to tie in your Vintage hoses. I got mine from Doc's Blocks and used the vertical adapter AA0338. This is less than $25. The fit is a bit tight but it does fit.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 69 Ghost
I am using the BRP setup with the notched frame. The compressor is the stock LS compressor and the rest of my system is a stock vintage air. I have not charged it up yet or hooked up the harness but is supposed to be a one wire hookup for the A/C request just like any other fuel injection unit. I believe you should be able to use the stock pressure sensor but you may have to use the factory one which may mean some welding or something. The difference may be in that the Vintage is a on off pressure switch and the factory is a pressure sensor that is used to adjust the pressure. The rest is the stock PCM wiring for the compressor. It is a fallacy that the variable compressor will fail and should work better due to it not having an on and off surge. In fact if you are afraid of that you can convert it to a fixed style compressor like the Sanden style just do a search on this site. You can use a block adapter to tie in your Vintage hoses. I got mine from Doc's Blocks and used the vertical adapter AA0338. This is less than $25. The fit is a bit tight but it does fit.
I've spent a lot of time talking to Hot Rod air and Vintage about the compressor issues. HR says to use the LS compressor because its a varibale displacement compressor and will limit cooling and not ice up the condensor from overcooling, they do not recommmend the Sanden unit. VA recommends using the Sanden and not the LS comp, but their manual also states that if air flow reduces from the cooling unit to adjust the temp switch because the unnit might be icing up. So looks like botha re in agreement ont he compressor issue, but VA doesn't recommend it, though they do make a bracket for it.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry I believe it is the AA0443 adapter. Here is the link I talked about

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ble-fixed.html
Old 09-15-2009, 12:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I realize this thread is old, but my info may help some others. S&P makes a bracket kit that uses a Sanden 508 (in the somewhat stock location), but moves it inward about 3" and forward enough to use the front grooves in "single belt" mode. It's not cheap, but looks good and gets you some needed clearance. Here's a pic of my setup, the pulleys were milled and painted and the brackets were glass-beaded to look stock.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

I like the way this looks. I assume you have to run a 508 with rear line provisions? Do you happen to have a part number or any additional information on the bracket. I have done a fairly exhaustive search, but I have never seen this one before. Also, how much is expensive?

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2009, 10:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue67LS2
I like the way this looks. I assume you have to run a 508 with rear line provisions? Do you happen to have a part number or any additional information on the bracket. I have done a fairly exhaustive search, but I have never seen this one before. Also, how much is expensive?

Thanks!
Mine frame has enough room for the side exit ports. I looked up my invoice, it was $318.75 back in 2006 (w/o the compressor). I can't link you to the exact page because of how S&P's catalog works, but you can find page 81 and look at the pic in the upper RH corner. You'll get the belt and everything to the left of it.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:02 PM
Staging Lane

Russ, thanks for the information. I should be able to track it down from here. Nice looking ride by the way.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

I have been told that Southern Air makes an ac system that is designed to work with the ls compressors. Anyone used one yet? And Geezer where did that outside the valve cover bracket come from? That looks to be the answer, move the AC comp and keep the rest stock.

Quick Reply: LS1 A/C on first gen camaro ....how to?