Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 A/C on first gen camaro ....how to?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 08:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 A/C on first gen camaro ....how to?

After doing some searching there are conflicting post as to whether or not I can use the stock LS1 A/C compressor for air on my non-air car. If you have used the stock ls1 unit to get A/C on a first gen in conjunction with an after market A/C unit(vintage air) or anything else for that matter.... Can you give me some information about how you did it. If you used a different A/C compressor unit where did you get it from and how is it connected to your a/c unit.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Most people I have seen use the Sanden compressor that comes with the Vintage Air setup. Vintage Air sells a bracket that allows their Sanden compressor to mount into the stock LS1 bracket for $100. The new Gen 4 Vintage Air system for first gen F bodies looks like it would be worth looking into.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:21 PM
Staging Lane

I was going to post the same question. I am ready to notch my frame to keep compressor in stock location. I bought a new compressor and hoped it would work with the vintage air. BTW Looks like I am going to have to put more than just a small notch in the frame: Did you do the same?
Old 04-28-2007, 11:33 PM
Teching In

I have heard of people using the stock compressor but it only works for a while till the compressor dies due to the fact that the aftermarket systems are fixed displacement systems and the fourth gen compressor is a VDC compressor which stands for variable displacement compressor do a goggle search for the compressor VDC compressor it will make sense if you read about it.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

One problem with the LS1 compressor in a first gen car is clearance. You have to do some massive cutting in the crossmember to get it to fit. If you do that you will weaken it beyond the limits.

The Sanden compressor is better but need special brackets to fit. The mounts that Vintage Air sells for mounting the Sandeen to an LS1 will not fit in a first gen either.

I ended up building my own brackets and mounting the Sandeen high up on the passenger side.

ATS has a bracket that will let you mount the Sandeen low, it comes with a new beltdrive that moves the compressor in a more forward position.

Jan
Old 03-14-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jannes_z-28
ATS has a bracket that will let you mount the Sandeen low, it comes with a new beltdrive that moves the compressor in a more forward position.

Jan
Do you have more info on this bracket? I haven't had any luck finding it on their site. Are you talking about their Sidewinder LSX high performance front accessory system? I hope not because $3,600 is way out of my price point. That's more than I have invested in my entire 19k mile LS1/T56 drivetrain.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

right now, I am using my Stock Chevelle 71 A/C system with modified hose to connect to the LS1 A/C compressor. Nothing else done, it does work and I guess I am waiting to see if it continues to work or fails.. 1+ year and still working...
Old 03-15-2008, 08:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rhino
Do you have more info on this bracket? I haven't had any luck finding it on their site. Are you talking about their Sidewinder LSX high performance front accessory system? I hope not because $3,600 is way out of my price point. That's more than I have invested in my entire 19k mile LS1/T56 drivetrain.
I don't think ATS is offering that solution any longer. When I spoke with Tyler he only offered his Sidewinder setup.

Don
Old 04-23-2008, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody have any additional news on this? I would prefer the stock compressor in the stock location. BRP makes an new setup that is supposed to make this work but I have not found anybody that has done it or even seen any detail pics. I have done relocations on gen 1 setups and prefer stock accessories over anything else.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:01 PM
TECH Resident

What AC system are you using? You'll have to do a good bit of re-engineering to use the LS1's variable displacement compressor with a factory '69 POA system or any of the aftermarket systems like Vintage Air.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default a/c on my 69

Im not there yet- car stuck in bodyman jail but I plan on buying a complete system like vintage and mounting their comp down low , I have allready notched my fram as BRP had suggested to mount the stock comp. I assume the sanden is smaller and will workill just have to fab up a bracket. Well thats what i plan anyway, I dont want to try the OEM comp. only to have it dye in short order -I hate to have to re-engineer things later. I have been told by a couple of the mfrs-can't remember which- Hot Rod Air or Old Air that their system would be ok with OEM. It may for a while but its not like you save much w/o buying the sanden comp-maybe 100$? I'd just assume to use all as its designed to and not mix and match and hope I live in TX and a car without air sucks
Old 04-23-2008, 11:57 PM
TECH Resident

My Vintage Air dealer (Frank @ Prodigy Customs) told me VA makes a bracket to put the SD508 down low--actually two versions of it, one for Fbody accesories, one for Vette.

I got my VA GEN4 kit from Frank sans compressor, and ordered an S&P high mount compressor/bracket kit through him. I'm using ATS-style mounts in my '68.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default complete AC from a donor car?

My LS2 comes from a 2005 GTO. Since I already have the compressor it comes with, can I pull the complete system from the GTO and use it? If so, I would like to use everything from the GTO under the hood, but use the stock 1st gen. Camaro interior interface and ventilation pieces.
Also, why don't people use the full F-body systems they get their LS1s
out of?

thanks.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Resident

Probably because the GTO evaporator won't fit behind the camaro dash, and the GTO compressor mounting location won't work with the stock 1st gen Fbody subframe with the engine mounted in any reasoable location (and even in an unreasonable location, you still have to cut a a big chunk out of the stock subframe).

If you go with an aftermarket subframe, and cut out the 1st gen dash and replace it with the GTO dash, then yeah, the full GTO AC system should work great.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a bracket kit that locates a Sanden 508 outside the valve cover.
Send me a PM if you're interested in the supplier.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 A/C on first gen camaro ....how to?-installedfront-341x256-1-.jpg  
Old 09-22-2008, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have the BRP stock subframe with the notch for the AC, so the compressor fits. So everything else would work accept the evaporator fitting up in the stock Camaro dash? Is there a way to hide it there somewhere? Has anyone here done anything like this?
I like the idea of using this GTO system since I already have it. Why pay more if the stuff I already have can be used. Can it be fitted to use the stcok Camaro(1st gen.) AC controls in the console?

thanks.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Rodder
My Vintage Air dealer (Frank @ Prodigy Customs) told me VA makes a bracket to put the SD508 down low--actually two versions of it, one for Fbody accesories, one for Vette.

I got my VA GEN4 kit from Frank sans compressor, and ordered an S&P high mount compressor/bracket kit through him. I'm using ATS-style mounts in my '68.
Hmmm When I called VA, they told me that they only offered that bracket for the Fbod and I was SOL on the Vette setup.

I want to keep my Vette accessory setup but mount the comp low.

If not, I will mount it high on the pass side.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

The stock LS2 compressor ended up fitting in the stock location withe the BRP subframe, but there is no room between the compressor and frame where the lines come out.
I now have the Vintage Air setup with the Sanden compressor with their bracket kit. The compressor lines come out the back, but there is still no room between where they come out and the frame. How can I get this to work? I do not want to buy some expensive pully system.

thanks,

Seamus
Old 09-13-2009, 08:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

they have compressors that (SD508's) that have either rear exit or side exits.
Page 55 of their catalog, rear exit is pn 047002-MUR and side exit is pn 04808-VMA.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yup, the one with a side mounted exit will not fit since the lines come out right against the frame. I have the one with a rear exit for the lines and there still is not much room at all for the lines. So far, I have found no one that is comfortable making a set of lines for it.

Quick Reply: LS1 A/C on first gen camaro ....how to?