Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LSxChevelle
Is a Duramax an aluminum block?
no. heads are though.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chromeplated500
it will definently be a tight fit... and I agree with the allison being pretty heavy. I would almost consider using a caprice with the LT1 or something. It has a frame, very large engine cavity, come pretty cheap too...
Yeah, I thought about that aswell. It would make a good donor for one.

As for the purpose of the F-body, I like Diesel's, but I love my sports cars. Look at it this way, a sports car with huge power possibilities and great gas mileage. Plus, running Bio-D it's cleaner.

The Duramax is an iron block, and the heads are aluminum. I really don't see that much more weight then a iron block LSX motor. The largest weight I see will be from the Allison. Which is why I have considered a 4L80E instead.

Even on D2 fuel, with a cat in a 4" single exhaust with a turned down tip like a mufflex exhaust with the Banks, won't smoke hardly at all. I choose this design due to it being simple and practical.

I believe a 12 bolt can handle the power, I prefer Strange rearends. A Denny's steel nitrous ready DS should do the trick. I know the trans tunnel will have to be altered if the Allison goes in, no question about that. But I think with the Allison toward the middle of the car, the weight of it should be distributed well enuff. I think a boxed type trans tunnel kinda like a C5 backbone would fab up well enuff. Have to fab up a console or something.

With the straight forward design on the exhaust manifolds I don't think side clearance will be an issue. The biggest thing will be the cowl. Since that has already been tackled on the forum I don't really see a problem. The accessories like fuel filters etc... will of course be an issue of some kind. A rear mount battery will make alot of room for that.

The intercooler, I figure use an existing kit from one of the turbo companies on the board.

Thinking of larger fuel capacity right now, stuck on that one though. Might have to use the stock type tank with modifications.

Torque arm connection to the tunnel brace area or fab one due to the size of the Allison. Fab up a crossmember for the Allison. Fab up exhaust.

Not sure on the radiator right now, will have to see when I have the motor in the car.

I'm thinking due to the truck line, the speedo and other guages might work fine. Have to calibrate the speedo I would think.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The size and weight (350#s) of the allison is the biggest problem. You will have to modify the trans hump and firewall just to fit it! Your better of going with a FLT 4l80E!

The duramax weights about 1100#'s that alot more than an iron block Lsx even with iron heads (on the early 6.0Ls). Thats a lot of weight up front! It can be done and would be different.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:19 AM
TECH Resident

That thing is going to be HEAVY....

The DMax weighs at least 900lbs, which is about double what an LS1 weighs.

And if the Allison 1000 weighs 350lbs, that puts it at at least 150lbs over a T56.

Which means, your swap has added 550+ lbs to the front end. That thing will push like a dumptruck. Might kinda kill the sportscar feel.

'JustDreamin'
Old 05-03-2007, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JustDreamin
That thing is going to be HEAVY....

The DMax weighs at least 900lbs, which is about double what an LS1 weighs.

And if the Allison 1000 weighs 350lbs, that puts it at at least 150lbs over a T56.

Which means, your swap has added 550+ lbs to the front end. That thing will push like a dumptruck. Might kinda kill the sportscar feel.

'JustDreamin'

that's why you shove the engine back 12"!!
Old 05-03-2007, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ooooooooooooooooooor

You buy a RCSB Chevy or GMC truck and swap the duramax into it.

They are pretty light trucks and that motor would haul in them.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:44 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At the local dealer they use a forklift to install Duramaxs to avoid breaking the engine hoist. Got any pics of the diesel you've got in your garage?
Old 05-03-2007, 10:31 AM
Teching In

Like I said, may be a project or it may not be. That's what research is for. No pics, just a standard 04 LB7 with a 1000 complete (I know, injectors, it just had them not long ago, plus a killer deal). Perhaps the 4L80E will be the way to go to take weight away. We will see. If done, I plan on full pics and I'll link it into a thread with the swap.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think a 59 Cadillac Coupe De Ville convertible would be a much cooler ride with the Duramax. That would be a lot of fun doing mile long burnouts in a big @ss Caddy!