Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

returnless rails

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007 | 08:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default returnless rails

Im putting an Ls1/T56 in a '52 chevy truck. Anyways, my engine has a returnless fuel rail setup, and my pump is a sump/pump kit from tanks inc.

I did a little searching and most people say to swap to return style, but I'd rather keep the single line and this is when it becomes unclear.

Street and performance sells a vette fuel filter that is for single line systems and I guess has a return built in the filter...can I use this with my aftermarket pump to run my single line fuel rails? I'd assume the answer to be yes but I'd like to check with those who know.

Thanks
Old 05-06-2007 | 08:52 PM
TECH Veteran
20 Year Member

You can use the vet filter you can pick it up from any parts store cheaper than s&p sells it for. But there has to be a plumbed return from the filter to the tank. It is a single line from the filter up to your fuel rails then.
Old 05-06-2007 | 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

awesome, thank you very much
Old 05-07-2007 | 12:28 PM
Teching In

cajundragger,

Do you have any photos of your swap? I'm doing the same thing except I'm using a 4L60E. Still have a long way to go, though.
Old 05-07-2007 | 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im not very far either. Heres some pics though.

I'll make a thread in the next few days of the frame further along with the engine and stuff in it.
Old 05-07-2007 | 01:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by cajundragger
Im putting an Ls1/T56 in a '52 chevy truck. Anyways, my engine has a returnless fuel rail setup, and my pump is a sump/pump kit from tanks inc.

I did a little searching and most people say to swap to return style, but I'd rather keep the single line and this is when it becomes unclear.

Street and performance sells a vette fuel filter that is for single line systems and I guess has a return built in the filter...can I use this with my aftermarket pump to run my single line fuel rails? I'd assume the answer to be yes but I'd like to check with those who know.

Thanks

like he just said, you can get the filter/regulator from any almost autoparts store. just ask for one for a newer corvette.

one line is fuel into the filter.. one line goes up to the engine.. and the other one is a return line back to the tank.

for the connectors, goto your local autoparts store and they'll have them on the shelf.. they are a standard connector.

take them to your local hydraulic shop, and they can make pretty lines... or you can go the OEM look route and push them into stock style nylon fueline.

theres more info if you search under my name.. but heres a couple threads ive replied in on the subject:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=fuel+line
Old 05-07-2007 | 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

There are a bunch of pictures and discussion in the stickys at the top of the page including part numbers for the filter and several different options for plumbing it. I used a Tanks, inc set up with a single line rail too. It works great. there is some info in my build log at the link in my sig. good luck

Pat
Old 05-07-2007 | 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

the vette filter has a regulator built into it? The fbody's use a T-block before the filter and have the regulator in the tank... so the vette filter would cut down on cost if it has a regulator built in...
Old 05-08-2007 | 08:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

The 'Vette filter does have a regulator built in to it so it would be redundant to use with a tank pump assembly that has a regulator in it such as the F-body pump assembly.
Old 05-08-2007 | 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Please see my swap (link in signature) - I used the same combo in my truck, I am using the same fuel system on a '68 Chevy P/U.

Page 10 or 11 of the swap has pics of the fuel system and part numbers, and I am using the Tanks,Inc setup also.

If you have an LS1 98-02, your setup should look like this from the tank:

Code:
pump supply line---\
                    VETTE FILTER/FPR --------------------->Fuel Rail
pump return line---/
You will need special adapters to adapt your fuel lines ot the Vette filter/FPR. There is a link to several options in the post I'm talking about on page 10.

Last edited by shifty`; 05-08-2007 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-08-2007 | 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

PS - Just FYI Keisler Automotive will rebuilt your tranny so it uses that panel on the top that's ~4-5" in front of where your shifter is now.

If you using Buckets, it might not matter, but ... if I were you, I'd save that piece of floor and drop the $500-600 they charge to move the shifter forward. (I plan to do this once I can drive the truck to them up in TN).
Old 05-08-2007 | 11:04 AM
TECH Resident

How important is it to place the Vette filter/regulator reasonably close to the motor? Some claim there's a bit of a pressure loss if it's too far away. Also, my logic suggests it should be close too.

Andy1
Old 05-08-2007 | 11:14 AM
On The Tree

I think it's not exactly right on the motor in the Corvette...I have mine mounted below the driver's seat in my truck ('70 GMC, stock tank location) and it hasn't had any problems.
Old 05-08-2007 | 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

FYI.. the Vette filter / regualator part number for AC Delco is "GF822", you can cross reference it to other manufactors.. usually around $50 or less at discounted street or internet prices.
Old 05-08-2007 | 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Andy1
How important is it to place the Vette filter/regulator reasonably close to the motor? Some claim there's a bit of a pressure loss if it's too far away. Also, my logic suggests it should be close too.
I have mine mounted 2' from the tank. I have a constant 50psi at the rails with absolutely no variance at all - and the filter/regulator is 15' from the rails, with the pump over 17' from the rails.

I call BS on the pressure loss claim.
Old 05-08-2007 | 11:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Andy1

Andy1
dammit! better tell GM.

they mounted it in the back on the vette.
and its in the gas tank in the fbody....

lol, because its atmosphere referenced and not manifold ref... it doesnt really matter.. you would have to be flowing a much larger volume before theres even a measurable pressure drop over the distance.
its a closed hydraulic system, so the pressure is almost constant on anything connected between the pump and regulator.
Old 05-08-2007 | 10:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have the Filter/Regulator about 1' from the tank.. Pressure gauge on the rail read 58lbs.

I wouldn't worry about pressure loss.....
Old 05-08-2007 | 11:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by shifty`
PS - Just FYI Keisler Automotive will rebuilt your tranny so it uses that panel on the top that's ~4-5" in front of where your shifter is now.

If you using Buckets, it might not matter, but ... if I were you, I'd save that piece of floor and drop the $500-600 they charge to move the shifter forward. (I plan to do this once I can drive the truck to them up in TN).
Im not sure exactly what I will do there. I do have a bench though. The big hole is for the trans, no matter what I do it will be there and have to get filled. The whole trans sits in the cab. This truck lays the running boards flat on the ground so everything has to be moved up a little bit.

And thanks guys for the info. We are a NAPA direct shop so I will hit them up and see what they have.
Old 05-08-2007 | 11:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

also, just because a number of yall are looking in here, is there a difference between a vette and SSR T56 besides the vettes is mounted in the rear? My trans is from an SSR and my engine had a manual stock so Im trying to figure out if anything will be off because of gear ratio difference in the tranny.

Thanks
Old 05-08-2007 | 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oohhh, so that's where the nickname comes from. Wanna help me bag my ride when the time comes?

Quick Reply: returnless rails