Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking to swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 09:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are the pics! yay. Its about where it will sit. John B and Gbody, did you put the engine in with the trans attached? We did, it was a little tight and we had to take the mounts off put it went it ok. We are using a fork lift to manuvure the engine around. If it ever comes out the trans is coming off.

Im moving along though right? lol I like the looks of it in there.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:07 PM
TECH Resident

Engine is all bolted up now. We will be fabing up the crossmember over the next few days. Motor is sitting right where it should be. I have to decide what to do about the heater box. I can modify the coil bracket like john did or just notch the heater box.

Installation is easier with the starter off, exhaust manifolds off, stuff like that. However we did manage to get it in with everything on, including the trans. Granted we have lots of head room and side room and a fork lift to work with.

We ended up putting the motor in and then puting the mounts on after it was close to where it needed to be. worked out ok.

I got my exhaust flanges today, we had them fabed up so we dont have to chop up a cat, which I dont have. any suggestions or questions from anyone? on anything?
Old 07-27-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

Ok where can I buy an OBDII port for my car? I can't find a web site that has the car side connector.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Current Performance Wiring, Speartech probably or like most everyone else, including me, the Junkyard. Any GM car that has one should do, 96 or later. Can get the wires with it you can just attach to the engine harness serial data line, a constant battery and ground.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

We mocked up a cross member today. It was pretty easy. Ended up with my old x-member with the trans mount from the trans am. we cut up both and are gonna weld em together. We were able to use the original bolt hoes for the x-member on the passenger side and had to make new ones on the drivers side, but it still clears everything! I was kinda surprised by this, in any case it should be done tomarrow and we are gonna measure for the drive shaft and get that done. This week will consist of wiring and coil pack clearence. Now the fun part.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:29 PM
TECH Resident

Got the cross member all mocked up and tack welded, gonna finish the welds tomarrow and box it all in. then its getting bolted back in the car. Thats that as far as bolting the engine and tranny in place. We will measure the drive shaft and get that done this week. Might tear down the old rear end to see the damage.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

Started wiring today. Ok i know that this is asked alot and Im going to search for sure. Just typing it out for me more than you but feel free to chime in.

I have basically three wires that i need to figure out where to put. I have a large gauge red wire, reads "Ignigition: Power when key is on"

A orange wire ("Battery power all time")

And of course the famous purple wire reading "Starter selonoid"

My Idea so far is to put the purple wire to the last stud left on the starter, makes sense to me. The orange wire goes to a constant bat source, duh. and that thick red wire i have no clue on yet. In addition to those I need to figure out what I need to use on the old harness. G-body guys can you help me with the stuff on the old harness that wasent hooked up to the old engine? I labled everything that was hooked up but there are a few plugs that were just hanging out.

Whats this guy? anyone know?

hints on any of these plugs?

yeah search isnt working at all right now lol

Last edited by cherryelky305; 08-07-2007 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:40 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The plug in the first pic is some kind of oil pressure sensor that used to be by the distributor. I don`t have any idea what it did or how it worked, I left it unplugged and everything was fine. Now that I think about it that plug is still taped off and coiled up in my engine compartment, guess I should get rid of it.

The single wire plug in the second pic goes to your oil pressure sensor (the one that actually runs the factory gauge. I`m not sure what the second plug is for, looks kinda like the plug for the interior fan and airconditioning, but I thought it was in a completely different part of the harness than the oil pressure sensor wire. What colors and how many wires go to it?
Old 08-07-2007, 10:57 PM
TECH Resident

looks like three wires red green and yellow or lime
Old 08-08-2007, 08:08 PM
TECH Resident

The drive shaft is almost done. We got it back from the shop that cut it, of course too short. It fits in and its about 1/4 inch from where it normally sits in the transmission on a trans am. We could stick it in another inch if the drive shaft had an extra inch. Anyone know if we need that inch or not? It's able to slide into the trans a little more than 2 inches, how much do we need?

More wiring got done, still waiting on replys on that purple, red, and orange wire. I asked the folks at wait4 me, but no reply from them yet, they could be busy. In any case I have til monday to figure it out.

How much of the wiring will tie back in with the original harness?

Also whats the easiest way to get my relays done? Just pick up a used relay box from a gm car? So far I think i need three or four relays, the fans and the fuel pump. Am i forgetting any? Thanks for anything!

Edit: i also have a wire that reads "oil pressure" Did gm change that much? In other words I wonder if that wire will work with my stock oil pressure gauge? any thoughts?

Last edited by cherryelky305; 08-08-2007 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:35 PM
TECH Resident

Ok im thinking that the wires i have to hook up are meant to be hooked up to the old harness. The starter selonoid wire should go to the old selonoid wire on the column right? and the ignition wire should go to the old distributor power wire right? If thats the case i feel real stupid now.

any advice? havent got a reply from my wire guys yet.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:16 PM

Yes, well kinda.

The purple starter wire in the new harness needs to be hooked to the purple starter wire in the old harness. The orange battery constant wire needs to be hooked to a fused battery source, there is a wire with the same purpose that used to go to your old 305 computer, it is orange and will be in the under dash wiring that used to go to the computer harness.

The ignition wire is another matter. I am not sure how your harness is set up which is the problem. You can connect this ot the old HEI power wire, however you need to know how many amps this wire needs to be fused for. The old HEI power wire/fuse is rated for 20amps IIRC. If the wire on the new harness powers ALL of the harness that requires IGN + power it will be drawing more than 20 amps and you need to use relay(s) to provide the power. If your new harness has relays to provide the power and those relays are triggered by this wire you can just hook the wire to the old HEI power wire.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:20 PM
TECH Resident

Ok i need a fuse and relay center, I think I got it now Thanks. as far as the oil pressure gauge, will the LS1 be ok with the stock gauge?
Old 08-10-2007, 11:35 PM

You can use the stock gauge, but I don`t know if the LS1 sending unit will work with it. I just removed the LS1 sending unit an replaced it with the sending unit from my 305. You need a metric to american adapter to do that. You can buy the adapter from autometer, equus, etc. The LS1 computer does not use the LS1 oil pressure sensor in any way so it will be ok to delete it.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:12 AM
TECH Resident

Thats cool, I'm gonna try to use the LS1 sender with the stock gauge first cause I dont have my original sender, thanks to a previous owner. The gauge was always pegged at max and was never plugged in, so I dont know if it works at all, but it will someday. Just the fact that it was pegged at max makes me think it may be ok, rather than pegged at min.

cant wait to drive this beast. How did you react to the swap from the 305?
Old 08-14-2007, 12:28 AM
TECH Resident

got most of the exhaust tacked up, once thats done its on to the fuel system, got the heater box fixed, now it needs to be painted and then the engine bay is done, and i can finish the basic wiring.

Coming along but its getting slower, ugh. still far off from driving it and it seems like its been up on jack stands forever. lol
Old 08-15-2007, 07:54 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone know what this plug is, its not labled and I cant find it in the service manual. Its close to the PCM and its not too long, so It can't go to many places. So far Im thinking its something for the A/C. HELP!

Old 08-15-2007, 10:22 PM

The A/C pressure sensor has a 3 pin plug like that, but so does the Throttle position sensor. Other than that I can`t think of any other plugs like that.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:28 PM
TECH Resident

ok it must be the A/c then cause everything else is layed out and plugged in. that was the last plug, now its on the rest of the real wiring. Thanks G-body!
Old 08-16-2007, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

Ok, so roomies owe me money, my dads car was totaled today when someone ran a red light and rammed into me. I'm slim on money, however this project will be completed. Good news is I'm not too bad just a little sore. Yay!

Quick Reply: looking to swap