Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Donor LS1 Has 95K Miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 11:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Donor LS1 Has 95K Miles

....So I am told. I know it's rolling the dice when you buy an engine/trans from the junk yard. Here is what I know. I was told it has 95K miles. The aluminum surfaces have some corrosion (The owner probably lived near the beach-San Diego). The body and interior were in good shape (before it was wrecked) but the condition of the aluminum and cracked rubber hoses on the intake lead me to believe that the engine may not have had the best maintenance program. I assume that with the cracked hoses, it was probably running poorly with the SOS light on for some time.
Here is what I need advice on. This engine/trans is going into my '76 Corvette. Once it's installed, it will be a PITA to work on. I'd like suggestions on what all I should replace BEFORE I install it. I'm considering a total rebuild but that may be over kill. Injectors ($$$$), water pump??? Should I pop the valve covers and oil pan and look around?
TIA....gp
Old 06-05-2007, 11:29 AM
Launching!

I would definitely remove the oil pan off and take a look. remove the valve covers and check the lash on your valve springs. change spark plugs. New hoses, thermostat, and possibly the water pump. You should also take off the injectors and clean them. There's alot more you should do but I'm just giving you some basics. If it's been sitting for a long time your probally gonna have to strip down the engine and rebuild it.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yea since you have the motor out, i would atleast pull the oil pan off to have a look around. depending on if you have extra money take off the heads and look at cycl walls. i think its like 120 for the head gasket kit... just check it out, becuase thats a lot of work to drop the motor in bolt tranny and then find out it doesnt start or siesd or just blows up on you lol
Old 06-05-2007, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

That would def suck to install it and have problems. Looking at the areas you can is a great idea and worth replacing gaskets
Old 06-05-2007, 01:46 PM
12 Second Club

Great choice for the swap!!!
Old 06-05-2007, 06:17 PM
Teching In

I think 2002 was the last year for F-Body donor LS1's which is what I need for my Corvette. That makes any donor car at least 5 years old. At 15k miles per year, any donor engine will have at least 75K miles and more realistically, 100k. I guess time will tell if it was a good choice or not but I'd say that would apply to any wrecked vehicle unless you get real lucky, then be prepared to pay a premium.
I guess it was kind of a dumb question. I really know that I should pull the pan and covers. I guess I just was trying to talk myself out of the extra work!
What I don't know is injector life span (are they really $200 each to replace). It was mentioned to clean them. I'll do a search on that or if one of you have any tips, it would be great.
Can someone tell my if this is where the vent line plugs in from the fuel tank?
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x...a/DSC03946.jpg
Old 06-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Teching In

Sorry...That's the donor fuel tank....Anybody know what all that stuff is besices the Pressure sensor & fuel pump??

Here is the right photo...gp
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x...a/DSC03940.jpg
Old 06-05-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

if you pay $200 for 1 fuel injector you are insane.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Change the rear cover gasket, rear main, and oil pickup tube o-ring too.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Joe...I agree. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about this engine. I consider myself to be an outstanding mechanic when it comes to SB Chevys. I have no experience with the LS motor but I'm learning a ton a minute. I have a '04 DuraMax and a 6.0 Vortec Denali but those go to the dealer for service.
I got that price form the NAPA web site. I figured they would be about $10-20 each.
I have most of this stuff figured out. Most of the guys doing swaps don't have to worry about smog like I do. That's the biggest challenge.
Thank's for the input..gp
Old 06-05-2007, 10:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

In the second picture, that looks like the purge solenoid which hooks to the vent line from the charcoal canister in the first pic.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:33 AM
Staging Lane

I would do an oil pump, timing chain, and spark plugs, in addition to what has been suggested. Also, a flush and fill of the coolant might be a good idea.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by palamesa
I think 2002 was the last year for F-Body donor LS1's which is what I need for my Corvette. That makes any donor car at least 5 years old. At 15k miles per year, any donor engine will have at least 75K miles and more realistically, 100k. I guess time will tell if it was a good choice or not but I'd say that would apply to any wrecked vehicle unless you get real lucky, then be prepared to pay a premium.
I guess it was kind of a dumb question. I really know that I should pull the pan and covers. I guess I just was trying to talk myself out of the extra work!
What I don't know is injector life span (are they really $200 each to replace). It was mentioned to clean them. I'll do a search on that or if one of you have any tips, it would be great.
Can someone tell my if this is where the vent line plugs in from the fuel tank?
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x...a/DSC03946.jpg
I haven't had experience with Chevy's but I have several other vehicles with well over 200,000 miles and the original injectors. A cleaning is all that i would think is needed.

Thaniel
Old 06-07-2007, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

I found techron fuel injection cleaner works great. Get the car running car, buy a bottle and throw it in the gas tank to clean the injectors. Along with Seafoam, it does wonders.

Marvel Mystery oil works great for cleaning engine internals also.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:06 PM
Launching!

I use the seafoam but I take the injectors out and let them soak for a few minutes. Also you can take them to a shop and they'll professionally clean them.

Quick Reply: My Donor LS1 Has 95K Miles