Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX Fox

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 02:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mystic96
I used my stock K-member in my '96 and the motor fit in nicely. Had about a 1/2 inch of clearance between the oilpan and K-member. The motor fit pretty snug against the firewall so a little hammering is neccesary, and the shorty headers I used could use some clearancing around the inner fender rails, but it dropped in motor/tranny and all, and bolted in in about a hour. It actually takes longer to re-install the stock Cobra motor than it took to install the LS1

Thank you for your input! Did you use modified 4.6 motor mounts?

Do you have any pictures ?

Also which headers are you using?
Old 09-16-2007, 12:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jfman
Thank you for your input! Did you use modified 4.6 motor mounts?

Do you have any pictures ?

Also which headers are you using?
Ya, I kinda came up with that idea I'm using stock replacement Hooker shorties, only because they were free, and they fit pretty nice once you cut off the stock triangle flanges.

Here's the link to my original thread...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/286585-new-discoveries-ls1-into-mustangs-swaps.html
Old 10-14-2007, 05:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

He he I bought my 4.6 kmember and mounts. The 4 banger came out today.

Now I am worried about one thing... The 4.6 kmember in a fox makes the car 1 inch wider on both sides right ???

Well if I'm wanting to upgrade my brakes to 03's cobra brakes (this mode makes you cars 1 inhc wider by itslef)

My car is gonna be 2 inches wider on both side.... I'm gonna have some issues arent I ?

Last edited by jfman; 10-14-2007 at 05:51 AM.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:04 PM
Teching In

You could end up having problems. But you should be able to get a set of 94-96 spindles and the 03 stuff will bolt right on and the car wont' add the extra inch.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:25 PM
On The Tree

The k-member DOES not move your arms unless the manufacturer of the K member varied from factory. The width differences in the 94-98 cars and then the 99-04 cars are mostly due to the a-arm width and then yes the spindles are a bit wider. I've sold and worked on tons of mustang front ends so let me know or PM me if any other questions.

If you plan on larger brakes and wheels then you want to use A-arms that are tubular versions of the stock 87-93 if going tubular/lightweight and if not tubular then just use the factory 87-93 5.0 Mustang a-arms. Then for spindles you will want to use the 94-95 Mustang GT or V6 spindles and hubs. These fit THE BEST and are not enough wider if at all to even mention. The 96-98 spindles will put the front end out approx. 1/4 per side and the 99-04 spindles are dang near 1/2inch and really just plain shouldn't be used....

Most K-members if not factory will require that you use a coilover kit. You can use factory or aftermarket arms with coil overs.

I am using fox width tubular a-arms from MMR and then the 94-95 spindles and Cobra brakes for my swap along with a UPR 4.6 K-member and modified 4.6 mounts and eveything looks/fits great and I can run 17x9 inch wheels up front and still be inside the fender well.

Hope my long *** post helped a bit...
Dave
Old 10-14-2007, 11:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank I apreciate your post, I didnt know about a lot of this stuff.

Ok here is what i have in the garage right now. 99 GT K member, 03 cobra control arms, 03 cobra spindle and brakes. (shocks, springs and wheels yet to be bought)

I found a deal on s197 wheels and supposedly their offset would cancel out the effects of the wider track and I could run a 99-04 rear end as well. But I dont know if they will clear the cobra calipers.

I guess since I have all of this stuff I will just put it all together and install 96 cobra wheels from my buddys car and see what it looks like. If it's too bad I can get 94-98 spindles like you recommend.

What would you recommend for springs? I'm not building a drag purpose car, just building a street car and I want it to handle decently. The 4cyl springs seem way to soft for what I like. The car was mushy and was all over the road. I'd like a firmer ride yet comfy and I'd like the car to be a little lower but not slammed. I'd like an all around good street spring. I know it sounds wierd but I was thinking of using the stock front springs from a 99 cobra i found but I'm scared the car will be too high due to the lower weight of the body and drivetrain.

Last edited by jfman; 10-15-2007 at 01:07 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Run some Eibach springs, if you go that route get the Pro Kit. Good spring rate and only lowers it by 1.5 inches I believe. For the front end parts you mentioned - stay away from the 03 Cobra A arms, they are going to increase your width more than you want. You can get stock foxbody arms for real cheap and they will be best for width. Matter of fact I have a set you could have if you pay shipping. You could get the urethane control arm bushings pressed in and have a very nice set of affordable arms. The 03 brakes fit all of the 94 up spindles and any of the a-arms from 87 all the way to 04 will bolt to any of the same year k members.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: LSX Fox