Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring up 02 vette alt in 02 s10

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007 | 07:14 AM
TECH Veteran
20 Year Member

Default Wiring up 02 vette alt in 02 s10

My s10 has a brown and a gray running to the alt with the gray coming from the pcm. The vette alternator has just one wire from the pcm. The aire is a red coming from the pcm on my ls harness that is for an 02 camaro. Do I just disregard the second brown wire in the s10 harness. I pulled all of the six cylinder engine management stuff out except for power and grounds and then laid the ls harness into the oem v6 harness so that it is plug and play.
Thanks Chris
Old 07-10-2007 | 07:47 AM
TECH Resident

Default Alternator wire

On my 2001 F-body harness(same as your 2002), My Vette alternator required only one exciter wire to the alternator, small red I believe. Nothing else needed from any of the V-6 wiring. Hope this helps.
Old 07-10-2007 | 08:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you are using a Corvette Alt....and wiring and PCM from a Fbody...then you actually need to have 2 wires. The wire coming from the PCM is the exciter wire...has the built in resistance to the ALT...kinda like the light/resistor mod for those who dont use the PCM to power the alt. But on the Corvette ALT it actually takes a 12v IGN power also, called a FIELD. I will copy a clip from Speartech on another post

The Corvette alternator is a little different in that it also brings out the FIELD terminal (terminal C). The FIELD terminal DOES go directly to a switched ignition 12 volts. So the lamp terminal (terminal B) would be wired as described in the above reply I made, and the field would be wired directly to the ignition switch.

Keep in mind, if you are using a Corvette PCM program, both wires are taken care of by the PCM, with no external wiring needed.

Also here is the link to that thread

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/40815-factory-camaro-alternator-question.html

NOW for the brown wire coming from your S10...it does the identical thing the red wire does coming from the PCM. What I did was disregard the red wire from the PCM...and hooked in my brown wire from the S10...as this is what controls the battery light on the gauge panel. 12v ign comes through the light and to the alt...when the alt faults...it faults to ground causing the light to trigger....so if you want your battery light to work...hook up the brown....if you want the PCM to kick a MIL use the red. Either way its the same. Just remember if you are using the Corvette alt....run in that FIELD wire.
Old 07-10-2007 | 10:11 AM
TECH Resident

Default Hey Josh!

How's the A/C doing? Hope its nice & cold! I haven't recieved my custom A/C fittings yet from Hot Rod Air, in Texas. Shsssssh! It's been weeks! Thanks again for the A/C wiring help. Gar
Old 07-11-2007 | 12:27 AM
TECH Veteran
20 Year Member

Thanks a bunch guys.
Old 07-11-2007 | 12:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I have all the parts hooked up...everything ready...but here its waiting on my a/c...yeah ONE a/c guy in this town that i trust to have time to charge it. I am about ready to drive to Sarasota or down to Fort Myers. But everything else went like a dream. Wiring is all done and tested good.

Quick Reply: Wiring up 02 vette alt in 02 s10