Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first time out

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003 | 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

Default My first time out

I took my 79 LS1/4L60E elcamino out for the first time yesterday. I have done a total restoration and am ready to ride if it ever stops raining here. Took the car down and had it inspected, everyone wanted to look under hood and I had to politely tell them I wanted to finish cleaning under there before showing, I didn't want the guy inspecting to see headers and dual exhaust with no converters. Next year it will have antique tags and no more inspections. Got by inspection and went for a ride. This was the first dealings I have ever had with an LS1and I was impressed. I didn't want to go to far from garage just a ride and come back and check for any leaks everthing looked dry. The road about a mile from my house is not very smooth but a good place that I couldn't resist. If you just step on throttle from a dead stop it(about 1/4 pedal) will break the 235/60 tires loose. Throttle response is awesome. Then I rolled into it at about 20mph and it really pulls hard because the you can hear the tires crying even up in rpm's going over the rough places in the road. The motor makes such a different sound than I am use to and the 2.73 gear really lets you feel the motor accelerate. At about 65mph the motor sounds like it was getting way up in rpm's and I was afraid it wasn't going to shift, about the time I started to roll out of the throttle it shifted and tires squaled. My 400hp 355 small block with a turbo 350 (with shift kit) wouldn't do that and my motor is completely stock except for headers. Later my wife drove and we went out to eat in it. I am all smiles.
Old 05-17-2003 | 04:20 PM
Teching In

Default Re: My first time out

Congratulations Rod! Isn't it a relief to finally drive the thing you've been throwing time and $$ at for so long? Bet the wife was happy, now she will see you more often and get to drive it also. How do you get away with no inspections on a 79??? Here in Ca we would have to smog it for the year of the engine . I am also surprised at the performance these motors have. Way
Old 05-17-2003 | 08:44 PM
Banned

great to hear!
Old 05-17-2003 | 10:10 PM
TECH Junkie

So people really do get to ride in their conversions. I hope to have mine done next year. Good Job! Have fun!
Old 05-18-2003 | 07:28 AM
Staging Lane

Here in Va. when a car is 25 yrs. or older you can put antique tags on it. The tags are a one time deal, no more inspections, or city stickers. There are limations on use of the vehicle but the biggest thing is just don't drive it to work everyday. If a cop was to reconize the vehicle everday going the same way he could ticket you. You are supposed to use it for cars shows, parades, take it to show someone,personal pleasure, just common sense use. No more personal property taxes. The only ticket I ever heard given out, the guy I bought my 67 nova parts from said this guy was driving his for everday use and the police ticketed him for stopping and buying groceries. If the police were to ever check you the smog stuff should be on it but if you keep the car up they never bother anyone I have heard of.
Old 05-18-2003 | 11:32 PM

Congrats again Rod! Wait until you really have a chance to stomp on it
So people really do get to ride in their conversions!
Everyday for almost 2 years for me
Old 05-19-2003 | 08:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Congrats again Rod! Wait until you really have a chance to stomp on it
So people really do get to ride in their conversions!
Everyday for almost 2 years for me
You guys are gonna make me stay up all night again! (or till 12:00PM whichever comes first). I'm about a year away now.
Old 05-19-2003 | 08:56 PM
TECH Junkie

It'll probably be two years for me, so keep your adventures coming, Rod. One success begets another!!!
Old 05-23-2003 | 08:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

I took my conversion out for a 2 mile autometer speedo calibration. That was simple. I have 4:56 gears with a spool still out back in my 9" rearend. Cruised around 50 mph in 6th gear and it reved around 1500RPM! Awesome. Unfortunately, I have a lot of drivetrain vibration. I have to check the driveshaft angles next. In NH, I get antique plates for $6!! No restrictions!! Drive everday if I want. After 40 years (4 more for my Camaro) then you need only inpsect the vehicle every 2 years.
Old 05-24-2003 | 01:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Congrats on your job well done.I am looking at an ,80 ElCamino no motor or trans.and I love my 5.3 excab.How hard was the swap and did you use the electronics from a donor car? Virginia may not be tough on inspections but they sure don't like radar detectors.Trucked through there for 25 yrs.How good is that suspension on mountain roads? Do you have pics?A lot of questions huh,I'm new to this forum and this will be my first restoration project,any advise is appreciated. Jim
Old 05-24-2003 | 06:54 AM
Staging Lane

It's not the easiest project I ever done but it is all worth it now. A helper would make the job a lot easier but you do what you have to do to get by. Really the motor swap isn't that big of a job but the first time at anything is the hardest. John B offers motor mounts and an oil pan exchange if you want to go that route, it would probably ease the installation but I chose to notch and rebox my crossmember. I bought the engine,trans,wiring harness,computer out a wrecked 99 trans am. I sent the harness to Dana (LT1 350 wiring) called him twice on questions and he was very polite and helpful. I sent the computer to "ChipsbyAl" and told him what I needed done.We have the program (tunercat) to do the proms on my 67 nova which has a speed denisity setup,and they are working on a deal to reflash the OBDII's but I just got ahead of them and needed my now. Just use a couple plumbobs and string to make sure its in straight. Shorten and rebalanced the driveshaft, car has no vibrations at all, buried the speedometer with the car sitting on stands under the rearend housing, and felt no vibrations in the body. On the road is just as smooth. If the weather does what they say I'm taking both to the local cruise in and see what type of reaction I get. Should be a good night since the weather has had everone couped up, probably around 200 cars. A slow night is around 100 cars. I,m going to try to get some pictures taken today (first day the sun is suppose to shine in a month)and put on a disc. Still don,t know if I can figure how to post them may have to ask for some help.
Old 05-24-2003 | 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Rod G,I was up till 3am thinking about my El Rey del Camino and trying to figure out how to make room in my garage for the work.I can buy a wrecked '02 pickup low$$ so that may be my donor,5.3 my not be a 5.7 but you can make power with'em.The hp/weight alone should give me 100+ in the 1/4 and the rear suspension on the El Camino looks like should hookup pretty good.I get 15+ mpg w/4.10 gears working my truck @5100# the setup in a ? 3400# Camino should get good milage and with your tall gear and .7?od in a 4L60 you'll be pissin' OPEC off.Thanks and good luck,Jim

Quick Reply: My first time out