Sponsored by:

current performance wiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 05:37 AM
DCx
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default current performance wiring

anyone use a stand alone from current performance? i was looking into their set up because they offer all the built in relays and fuses for the fuel pump and electric fans.

non-sponsor link deleted

most other places dont supply the relays for fans. im most concerned that the harness may be to universal. i hear speartech is supposed to be the best, offering a 6 speed harness, but when i asked, they didnt supply the relays for electric fans.

keeping my options open for my 69 camaro.

Last edited by G-Body; 08-12-2007 at 10:01 AM. Reason: non-sponsor link deleted
Old 08-12-2007, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a Speartech harness and bought a Painless fan relay. Speartech gives you two fan wires (for the high and low fans) and leaves plenty of wire for you to put the relay wherever you want. Don't limit your options just because they don't include a readily available relay.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just got my Speartech harness back, like Scooter says they provide enough wire to run it to some relays. I've never done any relays before but kinda looking forward to it. And then running a couple for the headlights.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't know how it could be too universal, I have used a couple of their stand-alone harnesses and they are still built to order. They will get all the info about the engine and the car, as well as lengths needed for the wiring, and build it as necessary. The fans, A/C, etc. is all optional. The other nice thing for me personally is the fuse box, it looks a lot nicer than what most places use, and all the fuses and relays are labeled.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

Default current performance

I got a current performance harness. I have not hooked it up yet but it was cheap and looked professionally done. Got the same pigtail for fan marked on it.
Rich
Old 08-23-2007, 06:43 AM
TECH Resident

I wouldn't make a pair of under $10 relays be a significant decision maker.

Some important ones are:
1.) What quality is the harness?
2.) What is the vendor's reputation?
3.) Does a particular vendor lock you into one programming solution?
4.) Cost?
5.) All new vs. reworked harness?

Just some thoughts, this is by no means an all-inclusive list.

'JustDreamin'
Old 08-23-2007, 08:11 AM
DCx
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just thought it was odd that something essential like like fan relays would not be included in a harness.

so what would you suggest i use for relays for the fuel pump and fans?
Old 08-23-2007, 08:30 AM
TECH Resident

I'd suggest something that you can get anywhere. That's the kind of thing that can fail and leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere. You don't really want something that you've got to special order from an electrical supplier and wait 2 weeks for.....

I'd suggest something like a GM fuel pump relay from a late 80's or 90's vintage vehicle....Or something along that lines....And if you need 3 or 4 relays (all of about the same capacity) it would be good to use the same one, and maybe even install a spare (just in case you burn one up).

'JustDreamin'
Old 08-23-2007, 09:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

I can see why the fan relays are NOT in the harness....its easy to tell the length of wire to where you mount your PCM...but the possibilities of where to put the relays is endless. So why make it to where someone will have to cut and lengthen...or shorten when like said its a $10 solution...and you fogure where you want them to go.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did anyone notice that CPW offers a harness without the fan relays for less money? I'm sure if it was really that big of a deal to you, you could ask that the wires for the relay controls from the computer be put in and just have the wires.

Quick Reply: current performance wiring