Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 into a 944 discussion.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 02:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by themachasy
I'm going to respond like this: this forum is for constructive comments only and it seems like you are raining on this guys parade. Please answer peoples questions instead of questioning their ability...
His comment wasnt even bad at all. He is just chiming in. What he said may have still been helpful and you dont know if it was or not.

k?
Old 08-12-2010, 06:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Honestly comments like that are necesary, someone needs to say it. And it if caused the op to hold back on the project, till he had time to think about it and is now ready, all the better!

I had a vague idea of what i was getting into when i decided to build a hotrod with an lm7 from scratch and some old vette parts. But having people tell me i can't drive it by the end of summer or even this year put a fire under my *** to prove them wrong. And i really wanted to drive it! I started building in May of this year.

Oh the main reason i wanted to post was to mention a co-worker has a 72 914 with a mid mounted sbc, i think its a 350ci. I was chasing him around some twisties coming back from lunch, and boy does that thing move. Acceleration while cornering was crazy.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

Good luck on the swap, I was just out in the garage working on my Harness for my LS 944 Swap. Hoping to fire mine off soon, but it seems the To do list is never ending... It will be worth it... If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask.

Mark
Old 09-21-2010, 08:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great thread. I have been tracking my 944 LS1 conversion for 4 years now and have dealt with just about every issue (although mostly Renegade kit related problems).

The engine is stock except for headers and larger fuel injectors. Running the turbo trans with Tilton pump diff cooler set up which is a must for road racing. With mild tune turned 341/345 @ 5200, torque peaked at 4100 (365 ft/lbs).

If I can help anyone shoot me a note.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by marc a
The engine is stock except for headers and larger fuel injectors. Running the turbo trans with Tilton pump diff cooler set up which is a must for road racing. With mild tune turned 341/345 @ 5200, torque peaked at 4100 (365 ft/lbs).

If I can help anyone shoot me a note.

Why only 5200 RPM? Why larger injectors? Don't need larger injectors w/ just headers.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Staging Lane

Don't know why the dyno sheet ended at 5200. Good question.

Larger injectors were installed because the car was running lean during the first dyno session and rather than increase the duty cycle the tuner suggested larger injectors. The fuel pump was changed out as well because the stock pump was not keeping the pressure high enough when demand was high.

What are your thoughts??
Old 09-21-2010, 10:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by marc a
Don't know why the dyno sheet ended at 5200. Good question.

Larger injectors were installed because the car was running lean during the first dyno session and rather than increase the duty cycle the tuner suggested larger injectors. The fuel pump was changed out as well because the stock pump was not keeping the pressure high enough when demand was high.

What are your thoughts??

Stock LS pressure requirement is 59 psi. If the Porsche pump was used, perhaps it was producing a lower pressure. As long as the A/F ratio (12.8-13.0:1) is correct during WOT, it's good. Generally, just headers doesn't require new injectors, but, as you've said, it was likely a pressure problem that required the larger injectors. Sounds like final tune was done using larger injectors & new pump. So, the tune should be good. Just shouldn't need larger injectors @ correct pressure & just headers. Good news is that you've probably got enough left in the fueling for a heads/cam upgrade if wanted.

Stock w/headers, the car should have made power up to around 6K RPM. Don't know why the tuner stopped @ 5200. So, she's making a few more peak RWHP than noted.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Staging Lane

Hey Thanks. Yes the final tune was done with larger injectors and fuel pump.

Fuel system head room was also a consideration since sooner or later the engine will come out and what goes in will be bigger and badder
Old 09-22-2010, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No Pics?
Old 09-22-2010, 03:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Lurk
No Pics?

Click on "THE Conversion" below and let me know what you think.

There are also some track vids at http://www.youtube.com/user/958Fan
Old 12-23-2010, 01:28 AM

i know that this thread kind ended a while ago but i am doing an ls1 swap into a 1985.5 944 and i was wondering besides the mounts and the bell housing bracket what else is needed. my pockets are not very deep so i am custom making as much as possible. realistically if i already have the motor and car how much can i put it in the car for? if i make as much as i can custom. thanks for all the help.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:42 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks to automated notification, threads never die!!

How much you need to spend depends on what you will be using the car for. If it will be used for the street. Your car has small brakes for the power that you will have so they will need to be upgraded.

Conversionwise, you need to have engine uprights (from crossmember to block), the adapter plate that is bolted to the corvette split bell housing (which serves as the clutch slave mounting point), pilot bearing adapter, headers, a mount for the master cylinder (servo has to be removed), oil pan w/fittings to run lines for relocated oil filter, a larger radiator (some use a Turbo radiator and dual fans), clutch with a 1x23 hub and LS1 pressure plate, and a stand alone wire harness for the PCM.

I would look at the Renegade Hybrid page to get an idea of what is needed. Then I would go to: http://944hybrids.forumotion.com/forum. Some of the parts that you need have been made by folks there so you don't need to buy the kit.

There is also a wealth of information on that board about doing the conversion without buying the Renegade kit. There is also a lot of good information on http://www.porschehybrids.com/php/index.php but be careful because Renegade Hybrids owns that board and they "filter" the information.

There is a Wiki that was started by a few of us that has parts and source information. That can be found here: http://porschehybrids.pbworks.com/w/...3888/FrontPage

Good luck and if you have any questions PM me or post here.

Marc

Last edited by marc a; 12-23-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Launching!

Try this Wiki. New and improved http://944hybrids.pbworks.com/w/page/1147189/FrontPage
Old 12-23-2010, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

Good find. I forgot that Greg transferred and improved the originial Wiki.

Cheers.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:05 PM
Launching!

I am building a conversion now. I have his manual, too. Almost everything in the manual is in that Wiki.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:51 PM
Launching!

I put my LS1 into my 944 today. It went surprisingly easy. I sourced my custom parts from Texas Performance Concepts and Spec clutch makes a clutch to match the Porsche splines. The rest of the Parts are off the shelf. Now on to the wiring.

TPC put a lot of work into the design of the parts and it shows. I did test fits without the clutch installed and the tip of the torque tube inserted into the pilot bearing with the same depth as with the factory Porsche motor.

The Spec clutch kit I used measured out perfectly prior to installing the motor.

Just a FYI for anyone considering this conversion.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another vote for Texas Performance Concepts. I have all their stuff on my 944/LS1 converted car and it runs great.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:00 PM
Launching!

What transmission is typically used or easiest to use with the LS1 in the 944?
Old 06-13-2011, 06:26 PM
Launching!

The 944 Turbo transmission suits the LS conversion best. The gears are almost identical to 1-5 on the C5 Corvette. It will hold 400 RWHP reliably. The RPM's with highway driving can be brought down some with converting the 5th gear to the early NA version lower ratio cog.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

Just a word of advice from one who baked a turbo box, make sure your turbo tranny has a cooler. If the car is going to be used on the track take a look at my solution (link under signature). If it will be a non-track or occasional track car, the OE side mounted oil cooler will be be sufficient. The OE cooler was an option on many of the turbo trannys.

I also have a guide on the 5th gear swap under the same page.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: LS1 into a 944 discussion.