Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody NOT using a T56 in their hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by dotstereo
Every once in a while someone uses a TKO. I remember reading something recently where they used a TKO600, I'll see if I can dig up the thread.
I have a TKO 600 in my V8 Supra behind a 2003 Gen 3 truck motor. I used an LS6 FW & clutch. The main issues were:

1) Pilot bushing- had to run a Gen 1 "extended" bushing due to the .400" recess of the Gen 3 crank (this situation was addressed in a thread here).

2) Slave cylinder had some floorbard clearance issues, trimming arm/BFH took care of that.

The TKO worked well for me since it has both electronic and cable speedometer setup. My car needed the cable speed and my motor needed the electronic input. The 600 TQ capacity is nice also .
Old 09-15-2007, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i guess that's OK of your girlfriend is gonna drive it !! J/K.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally spoken by Tom Kazansky:
The plaque for the alternates is in the ladies room.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:58 AM
Staging Lane

I a tko600 behind my ls1. Had a vendor set me up with all the parts. Stock ls flywheel with normal chev clutch and linkage. Made a bracket for the ball stud. Works great so far. Only have ~50 miles on it though.

Has anyone considered drilling and tapping the piece on the ls block that sticks out? I have looked at it and wonder if it would be strong enough. It is in exactly the right place in my 72 bird.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:00 PM
TECH Regular

well, i had the bearing retainer hub on my TKO machined down to fit into the lakewood 15005 bellhousing. I put the bell up to the tranny and none of the mounting holes line up with the tranny mounting holes. Not a big issue.. The other thing I noticed is the input shaft sticks out past the bell housing (where it bolts to motor) about 3/4". I may need to run 2 block spacers to get the TKO input shaft located correctly in the crankshaft.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dman
I would love to read about the TKO swap. I'm doing the same thing and this is what i've run into so far.

Bought a Lakewood LS1 bell housing as I read the TKO will interchange with the muncie and other factory GM trannies.

1st hurdle - input retaining hub outer diameter is slightly larger than opening in bellhousing. Will machine hub to fit housing.

2nd hurdle - this is going into a 1991 mustang and i'm retaining the factory clutch cable set-up. Will need to weld the pivot ball to right side of bellhousing so fork will move t/o bearing in right direction. again not a hard fix

i'd sell/trade the ls1 bell and get a bell for a first gen small block chevy. actually if you could find one for a V8 Monza it would have the pivot ball in the correct location.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dman
well, i had the bearing retainer hub on my TKO machined down to fit into the lakewood 15005 bellhousing. I put the bell up to the tranny and none of the mounting holes line up with the tranny mounting holes. Not a big issue.. The other thing I noticed is the input shaft sticks out past the bell housing (where it bolts to motor) about 3/4". I may need to run 2 block spacers to get the TKO input shaft located correctly in the crankshaft.
Are you using the GM or the Ford TKO?
Old 09-17-2007, 08:55 AM
TECH Regular

itslow, actually I didn't know there was a difference. It is a Ford TKO...

Quick Reply: Anybody NOT using a T56 in their hybrid?