Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 V6>LS1 Camaro build (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 01:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking 1998 V6>LS1 Camaro build (with pics)

I haven't posted here much yet, I've been lurking and collecting parts. Now that the project car (joint venture between the GF and I) has started for the first time, I figured I would make a project thread.

We started out with a 45k mile 1998 Camaro V6 / 5-speed with a spun bearing

I wanted to retain the '98 computer and harness for ease of installation and wiring, so I bought a '98 engine + computer from a guy in Pottstown, PA out of a '98 Z28. Wiring harness from a '98 auto LS1 car was obtained separately from an LS1TECH member, and he ripped me off big time. Half a dozen new connectors and a weekend worth of repairing wires later I had something worth the money I paid for it I also installed a set of MAC headers off of eBay.

Wiring modifications included adding the manual transmission connectors to the automatic transmission engine harness, and rewiring the limited number of circuits required to make the LS1 harness work with the V6 dash wiring and engine bay wiring.

The guy I bought the engine from had the complete K-member (minus brakes) so I bought it for $50. V6 suspension components were swapped over since they were in nicer shape, but I had to keep the LS1 steering rack for header clearance.

Out with the old

In with the new

To summarize, I had to obtain the following parts:

1998 LS1 fbody engine wiring harness and PCM
1998 fbody LS1 + accessories + motor mounts
LS1 fbody T56 transmission + mount
GTO clutch / pressure plate
Resurfaced flywheel
New pilot bearing
LS1 fbody subframe and power steering rack
LS1 fbody radiator hoses (no trans fluid cooler)
1999+ Corvette fuel pressure regulator / filter to adapt returnless fuel rail
Headers + y-pipe (could have picked up stock LS1 stuff, but why would you?)
1998 LS1 gauge cluster
98/99 LS1 fbody throttle cable w/o traction control
LS1 air filter lid

That's about it, total parts cost was ~$2600. I deleted the A/C because the compressor had a broken connector on it, I assume that if I wanted to run A/C I would need to buy LS1 lines as well.

I've reused the V6 radiator and tapped the head steam line into the return side of the water pump, as I have seen other people on here do.

Fuel pump is still the stock V6 unit, which should be fine until I start beating on it in which case I have a LS1 fuel sending unit to drop in.

I modified the engine bay wiring harness (not the engine wiring harness) to work with the new setup, but if I had to go back I'd buy the LS1 version since they go all the time on eBay for < $50. This would save you an evening of running new wires.

Problems I have right now include a possible leaking clutch slave cylinder, since I can't seem to get it bled properly, and either the oil pressure sending unit / gauge is dead or it actually isn't building oil pressure.

Sorry for the long post, I've been busy over the past month!
Old 10-02-2007, 02:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice job!

One day, I will finish mine. one day....
Old 10-02-2007, 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

Your mod list is pretty impressive!!! I was thinking about a H/C package before installing the motor, but cooler heads prevailed and we're taking it one step at a time.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I would have just went stock first. I've changed my mind along the way so may times, that it has wasted a lot of time and money.

So once you actually started the conversion, it took you about a month?

Do you think you might have broke the oil pressure sending unit when you were putting the LS1 in?

Ot her than the engine bay wiring harness, would you have done anything different?
Old 10-02-2007, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

I bought the car in May/June, and spent the next couple of months collecting parts. I started pulling the V6 drivetrain two weekends ago, spent a week assembling the new setup, and then last weeked installing everything.

I was thinking today about the oil pressure sending unit, actually, I'll go check that out in a bit.

I would have replaced the clutch slave cylinder, but of course at the time I didn't know it was faulty. I don't regret not upgrading the cooling or fuel systems, better to keep everything original until I work out the swap bugs. I also would have held out for a good M6 harness, I spent about 3 days fixing and adapting the crappy harness I bought here in the Classifieds section.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:49 PM
Staging Lane

I guess the sending unit / wiring / gauge has a problem, because I ran a line for my mechanical autometer oil pressure gauge last night and it's holding 50psi of cold idle oil pressure.

I wish I could figure out this darn clutch bleeding problem so I can go drive the car!
Old 10-24-2008, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

pm sent

Quick Reply: 1998 V6>LS1 Camaro build (with pics)