Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone done a Mercedes 90's SL LS1 swap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 07:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Anyone done a Mercedes 90's SL LS1 swap?

I have purchased a 95 SL600 (yea the V12 one) and the thing is an electrical nightmare. I have four LS1 swapped cars in the garage, and this one is not far from the chopping block. Has anyone seen or heard of a swapped R129 (body code for the 90's SL 320 500 and 600) ? I searched but found nothing, and it is fun to be the first LS1 in all the cars I have swapped.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:57 PM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, but this is going to be good
Old 10-14-2007, 08:15 PM
TECH Regular

I think it may be interesting, but maybe one of the more complex ones to do. I would love to get the V12 running on all 12 cylinders, but the damn thing has 2 electronic throttle bodies, 2 Mass air flow units,and a wiring harness that is failing in the engine compartment. Parts are scarce, and way expensive($3000 plus for one of the throttle bodies new) and I have found out that the thing puts out 325 to the wheels anyway.
I might get silly and do a 6 speed swap in it, or do the auto. I just wanted to see if anyone knows if this has been done before. Good hearing from you RAO, got any new projects? After looking at your post, I watched the video, great stuff. I love the E36 swap, I bet it is a great car.

Last edited by cdk4219; 10-14-2007 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:21 PM
rao
TECH Resident

I haven't seen anything on that Mercedes body style. I have thought about a Mercedes swap from time to time, but never that chassis. The cost of ancillary parts always scared me away. The motor in the one you have had a very low production number so I am not surprised that the parts for it are expensive.

I went through a couple of cars the last few years, the BMW is the latest and by far the best. I posted a fair amount of pictures and details here, plus a silly video.

I am sure you can handle the Mercedes swap, I would like to see it when you are done
Old 10-15-2007, 07:29 AM
TECH Resident

Lightbulb Sounds Like A Good One...

You could sell the V-12 & transmission for a good buck. Since the car is not that light, I would think a mildly upgraded 6.0 or 6.2 LS engine with a smooth shifting 6L tranny would be classy & quick. Keep us informed if you decide to move forward with this.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cdk4219
but the damn thing has 2 electronic throttle bodies, 2 Mass air flow units,and a wiring harness that is failing in the engine compartment.
Dont forget 2 engine computers.
Lots of room under the hood once you remove the M120.
Biggest obstacle would be the GTO pan hitting the factory crossmember.
But not too difficult.
Only one way to find out.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:29 AM
Launching!

If you want a really good piece of advice, sell that thing as fast as possible!! Those things are lemons, simply endless money pits.

I’ve had the displeasure of working on one recently and I must say I was simply flabbergasted at the sub-standard build quality of those cars, simply awful!

The cost of parts is also insane. Those 2 little plastic bits that cover the sun visor hinges which likely cost no more than $1 to make for example cost $80 each at the dealer! The interior plastics are of a very sub-standard grade which degrades in sunlight so a lot of parts were replaced. The quality of the leather is as crappy as what you find in a Camaro; just absurd for a $90 0000 car! The whole interior is just complete crap! From the fake wood trim to the fact that so many of the interior panel bits were loose and practically falling off.

The engine also had a very shaky idle and was running extremely rich. What was odd that when it was connected to a scan tool, everything registered as operating within proper parameters with no trouble codes despite the obvious problems.

Another common issue are leaky hydraulic actuators for the power roof which cost $5000 at the dealer to replace. I had them rebuilt for $30 each, but it was a huge PITA to replace them.

Worst of all are the electrical issues; interior lights not working, some IP lights are much too dim….
Old 10-17-2007, 09:59 AM
Launching!

The last really good Mercedes was the W123. I'd like to do an LSx/T56 into one of the gasoline versions. I'm rather disappointed with the W124 my wife drives. Climate control computer went out (dealer wanted $750 to replace; I got one off the web for $175 & replaced in 20mins) "wonderful" DB ball-screw steering box failed, pita to replace; A/C quit cooling, took it to dealer: he wanted $4000 to replace the evaporator (which was not leaking) -- I had it re-charged with r12 for $175 (3yrs ago - still cools) window switches failed etc, etc, etc MB quality isn't there anymore. Dealers everywhere for any make screw their customers, both when they sell a car and then "service" it.

Garret & Steve almost done with E30-LS1
Old 10-17-2007, 08:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Hans Grüber
If you want a really good piece of advice, sell that thing as fast as possible!! Those things are lemons, simply endless money pits.

I’ve had the displeasure of working on one recently and I must say I was simply flabbergasted at the sub-standard build quality of those cars, simply awful!

The cost of parts is also insane. Those 2 little plastic bits that cover the sun visor hinges which likely cost no more than $1 to make for example cost $80 each at the dealer! The interior plastics are of a very sub-standard grade which degrades in sunlight so a lot of parts were replaced. The quality of the leather is as crappy as what you find in a Camaro; just absurd for a $90 0000 car! The whole interior is just complete crap! From the fake wood trim to the fact that so many of the interior panel bits were loose and practically falling off.

The engine also had a very shaky idle and was running extremely rich. What was odd that when it was connected to a scan tool, everything registered as operating within proper parameters with no trouble codes despite the obvious problems.

Another common issue are leaky hydraulic actuators for the power roof which cost $5000 at the dealer to replace. I had them rebuilt for $30 each, but it was a huge PITA to replace them.

Worst of all are the electrical issues; interior lights not working, some IP lights are much too dim….
Oh yea, the car is a piece of **** no doubt. 12 years old and falling the **** apart with bad engine wiring harness, leaking top cylinders (12 of them in all) and every time I fix one another takes a **** (30 cent seal that disentegrates, but you must buy the whole part) Hydraulic suspension, and everything is a pain in the ***. I thought it was a cool car for the $4000 that I gave, but Mercedes made quite a heap in this one. i got the sticker for the car, and in 1995 it sold for $131,000, and 12 years later with 115k miles it isnt worth probably 1% of that figure.

Mine idles great, but is only running on half of the engine, the German engineers came up with a "clever" Limp home mode that saves who knows what, if anything is slightly wrong with the car. I have an 85 W126 500se that has 300K miles on it and has not had any issues like this. I am going to try and fix the V12, and I may attempt to Megasquirt it with some other throttle bodies, but the LS1 is definately lurking.

I have seen and worked on plenty of engineering blunders, but this SL600 definately takes the cake. Can you imagine trying to restore one of these cars back to original in 20 years or so? It wont be like restoring your 68 Camaro, thats for sure!
Old 10-17-2007, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hans Grüber
From the fake wood trim

No R129 has fake wood, no american car anyways.
Except the silver arrow edition which has brushed aluminum.
Dealer wanted $1500 for the window switch wood panel last time I called for one.
But yeah, R129's are not cheap to maintain.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve VanS
The last really good Mercedes was the W126.
fixed it for ya. the coupes are pure art....hand built and all. One sweet day I'll own one.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rao
I went through a couple of cars the last few years, the BMW is the latest and by far the best. I posted a fair amount of pictures and details here, plus a silly video.
Nice swap on the M3.I watched the video.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Gen3Benz

No R129 has fake wood, no american car anyways.
Except the silver arrow edition which has brushed aluminum.
Dealer wanted $1500 for the window switch wood panel last time I called for one.
But yeah, R129's are not cheap to maintain.
The wood is fake indeed, look closely at it and you will see that the wood pattern is printed. It was chipped deeply as well so I could clearly see that it was plastic.

The interior quality on these car is complete ****. Simply not acceptable for a $90K car.

Quick Reply: Anyone done a Mercedes 90's SL LS1 swap?