Sponsored by:

Por -15

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 05:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Por -15

Good afternoon everyone,

I am contemplating painting my subframe with some POR-15. Does anyone have any real world experience with this product? I have a 63 nova with an LS1 and want to paint my heidts subframe as well as my inner fender panels. Any ideas? tips? tricks?

Just lookin for some experience or suggestions from you guys.

Pictures welcome!

thanks!

Jamin
Old 11-15-2007, 06:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 239 Likes on 166 Posts

that heidts stuff is pretty nice, have you thought about powdercoating it-my next choice would be going thru all the paint prep, etching primer, primer, them topcoat with a hardner-would give you a smooth look
por 15 will fade if not topcoated, they make a "sealer" to go between it and a topcoat-if you spray por 15, you really have to clean the heck out of the spray gun, if it hardens, your out of luck-if you brush it, it actuall flows out pretty decent
i used it on the bottom of my car
as i said, it wouldnt be my first choice, unless your covering up some rusted metal
Old 11-15-2007, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have used it on to under side of the body, wheel wells. hard stuff, I used there thinner and brushed it on.. didn't really come out as well as I had hope.. you can see the brush strokes after it dried. Spraying would be better if it is in a visable area like where you will see your subframe.

Easy to keep clean.. and yes, if it is expose to the UV/Sun, it will fade unless you use the topcoat.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

PM my boy SN: faddedSS

he has been using it for awhile.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

POR-15 won't stick very well to new smooth surfaces. It will peel. It's intended to stick to rough rusty surfaces.

Don
Old 11-15-2007, 08:21 PM
Staging Lane

I've used it on some control arms and a couple of engine cradles. The stuff is good to go but you must topcoat it or it will deteriorate in UV/sunlight. I purchased the little spray bottles that have the glass supply cup under them. They spray ok and give good results. You must follow the steps in order to get good results. Use the Marine clean that is recommended ,and then use the metal ready phosphate prep. The metal ready prevents the chemical reaction that forms rust from happening. It also etches the metal so the POR-15 adhears better.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

It is good stuff, I used it on my floor boards. I think it works much better on rusty old metal, new metal I think must be primered or something. Use a brush you intend to throw away its alot easier to throw it away than clean it. Also after you open the can use a plastic bag between the lid and the can when you close it or it will weld itself shut.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:10 AM
Launching!

Thank you for all the great replies everyone. I really think powder coating is what I am after. I am very intrigued by the POR-15 but I think it might be more for floor pans, inner fenders, etc. Not that my nova is a show car by any means, I still want to do it once and have it look as nice as possible. Another upside to the powder coating is that I can drop everything off at the shop, and pick it up when its done!

Thanks for the replies, I have learned so much from these boards. It really is an amazing resource.

-Jamin
Old 11-16-2007, 09:39 AM
Restricted User

We just restored a 1965 GTO and used POR-15 on the frame, we then used their chassis black on top and it looks factory. It is very tough stuff. You can beat it with a hammer and it resists chipping. Definately spray it on for the best results but I have seen it applied with a sponge brush and it flowed out very well. This stuff does not dry very quickly so it will flow out pretty nicely.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:55 AM
11 Second Club

Dude,
If you can afford powdercoating, there's nothing better, but for the best bang for the buck, por-15 is the way to go. No need for UV concerns since the subframe will be exposed to very little sunlight. I've used por 15 on quite a few restorations and I am sold that it is tough stuff and looks real nice for years. As 2001 pewterws6 said, we beat on the frame in a spot unseen to test the durability and a hammer did not chip it.
Some pics of the gto frame we did are here... http://www.geocities.com/dales65gto/framepaint.html
PM me and I'll send you a link to a non sponsor who has POR15 products you didn't even know existed. POR 15 is definitely the way to go.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I used it on an all-tube open wheel racecar in many places. Results were great and similar in appearance to the powdercoating we used.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used Por-15 on my under body and wheel wells, but I had my Frame Powder Coated. For your Sub Frame and suspension parts... go with Powder Coating.

I also used one of the Eastwood Powder Coating kit and did all of my smaller parts myself, I came out great and was a lot cheaper in the long run. I did brackets, lower A-Arm and anything that I could get in my spart oven.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:49 AM
Launching!

Man, you guys are killing me! Some say yes, others say no. I am very worried about the UV problem with the POR-15. I would hate to go through all of the work and then have the coating look dull after a year or two.

I have no problem going through the proper steps with the POR-15 but I would be seriously mad if I had brush strokes all over the place. Again, no show car but if you are going to do something I prefer to do it right and get the correct outcome.

What I think I might do is get some POR-15 and try it on my rear end housing or something of that nature. That way I can see for myself what the results will be.

All of these decisions!!! I am still on the fence. I will check out the pictures posted above and maybe that will help!

Thanks guys!
Old 11-16-2007, 04:45 PM
Launching!

POR-15 is some great stuff.

My whole frame is painted with it:

The paint goes a long way as well.

EDIT: That is brushed on too...the brush strokes go away after a few minutes...I've got more pictures if you wanna see them..
Old 11-16-2007, 05:13 PM
Launching!

Please post more pictures. A Frame like that might make me go and get some POR!! That is gorgeous.

What type of brush did you use? Is that just the POR-15 or did you top coat it?

-Jamin
Old 11-16-2007, 07:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have mixed feelings, I painted it on straight with no thiner with a brush, it never evened out for me, but its pretty tough stuff, next time im gonna try to shoot it. I prepped my surface with a wire wheel, it stuck ok, but i should have just painted it on. BTW this is semi-gloss

Old 11-16-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Same stuff, a little less pricey...

This last summer, I went to an auto-body supply shop to buy some POR-15 for myself - but they talked me into buying this stuff instead. From everything I can tell, it behaves just like POR-15, you even have the same procedures (the plastic wrap between the can & the lid, use a disposable brush, etc.).

The one thing that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is this - Make SURE that you have some good ventilation when applying it, whether using a brush or spraying it, because it's definitely not shy about producing fumes/vapors...
Old 11-16-2007, 10:56 PM
Launching!

Here's a few pics right after I painted it from acouple months ago..

This is exactly what the frame looks like upclose after you wipe all the dust off of it even right now.

This is straight POR-15 as well. No top coat. I just used the brushes that they sell on their website. I think I bought a pack of 8. But yea basically it's all in the prep work. I went exactly by their prep instructions and I'm very happy with the finished product.

Although the truck still isn't back on the road yet..so I've yet to really test the stuff out. But I'm sure it will be fine.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Looks like it's powder coated. Nice job.

D.J.

Quick Reply: Por -15