Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS4 harness

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 10:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The trucks have DOD too? News to me, if so, my mistake.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank02L
The Gen IV 5.3s are aluminum and IIRC have DOD as well.
Frank they have a couple of iron Gen IV 5.3ls in the trucks, but all the Gen IV 5.3Ls are DOD.

Is the harness place in J-ville? And what all they do?

Last edited by Bo185; 11-26-2007 at 12:38 AM.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:04 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hahahaha

truck motors are DOD

WTF!!!
Old 11-26-2007, 12:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FieroZ34
The trucks have DOD too? News to me, if so, my mistake.
Yes--Many of the Chevy trucks out there with the 5.3 also have DOD. Along with some of Chevys SUVs. There are a few differant versions and the intakes/cams are differant in the differant versions.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Love the idea of putting the LS1 in the fiero. LSX in my personal opinion maybe not everyone elses is the best motor off the line I know there are arguments there but pls no post arguing otherwise b/c I know everyone has there own reasons and opinions. Been looking at putting a 5.3 in my v6 fbody (not tryign to hijack or anything) I'm new at the whole engine swap thing and don't know where to start. if anyone has any info msg me pls don't clutter up this guys post w/ replys to anything i have said just PM lol but like I said love the LS swap into the fiero
Old 11-26-2007, 03:11 PM
Teching In

I got an answer about DOD and 5.3's

My motors are from a 2003 Avalanche (LM7), and two 2005 Silverado/Sierra pickups (L33). It looks like DOD came on a select few trucks according to the article below.

I found this on the Super Chevy website:
What GM Powertrain came up with--the 5.3L LH6--is almost identical to the outgoing LM7 on the surface, but technologically advanced on the inside. That technology enables cylinder deactivation (called displacement-on-demand or "DOD" by GM insiders) during periods of low load demand and is the source of the increased efficiency mentioned earlier. "We know that there are a couple of areas that we can attack to make an internal combustion engine more efficient," says Meagher. "These areas are mechanical efficiency, pumping losses, and unused heat energy. We knew that we could attack the area of pumping losses relatively easily with our displacement-on-demand system. That's the area this system addresses."

To an engineer, eight percent is a huge improvement. At the gas pump or on the dyno, it's also a huge improvement. "Displacement-on-demand is a win-win for drivers who rely on the power of the small-block V-8 and are conscious about fuel economy. The implications of this technology are tremendous," says Meagher. For now at least, those implications will be exclusive to three vehicles, the 2005 Chevy TrailBlazer EXT, the GMC Envoy XL and Envoy XUV. But before moving on to the nuts and bolts of DOD, we'd like to point out that it has far-reaching possibilities for performance enthusiasts. Had GM elected to apply DOD technology to performance vehicles such as the Corvette, GTO or a future Camaro, there would be far less pressure from corporate average fuel economy (CAFE) to import sub-compacts from outside GM as is the case now.

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...dod/index.html

In my experience, the best values for 5.3L motors are the third generation LM7 iron and L33 aluminum blocks.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:14 PM
Staging Lane

Default YAY my own fan club ! ! !

Originally Posted by PhrektheGhey
So within 1 year you haven't done **** other then tear the motor down. Hi, no ratings bar for you to hide behind here. No pm's to all yoru freinds to get me banned. Who are you going to go cry to now little girl?.
Well well look what the cat dragged in. Suprised it took you this long to sign up and start with the ever predictable verbal bashing. I don't need a ratings bar to hide behind. I see you still think that its "the haters" that get you banned and not yourself. Grown some stones and take responsibility for your own actions. Your imature attitude and lack of respect are what do you in.

Tuning mishap? The car was tuned and done. Its what happens when you are making more then 233 whp which you will never see, because your turd will never be done..
So your tuned v6 is making over a whopping 233 hp at the wheels. Someone call guiness. Oh sorry let me rephrase that "was making", since it is obvious it couldn't handle that much LOL. If you didn't have such a shitty tune you would have never popped it. Well there are now 2 cars that archie built that make more power than your car used to make. Those cars are running on factory tunes too. You must be really depressed. Smith and wesson makes a nifty tool to help you with deppresion.

Maybe 3 years from now, when you are done with your swap, bring it down to daytona, where my torqueless v6 will mop up on your super badass v8 swap..
Hey if im am totally done with the car in three years that would be a fine idea. I'm not making any definant finish date. Rushing things only leads to failure, but of course you already know that don't you. By the time i get done you will have gone through 3 or 4 engines and will not have learned a thing except what mid 13's feel like. Unless you actually use your little brain and ditch the 3.4-2.8 garbage.

Go cut your mullet joe dirt.
I actually do need a haircut , thanks for tip.

Ok back on topic :

What cylinder heads are the L33's running? What heads are you planning on running? GM castings or aftermarket? Are you going to leave the motor stock?
Old 11-26-2007, 10:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FIEROPHREK the queerbag
Well there are now 2 cars that archie built that make more power than your car used to make. Those cars are running on factory tunes too. You must be really depressed.
Nice one troll.

Cletus has been building cars for 20+ years, and you can only cite 2 of his cars that are faster then mine and or make more power? HAHAHa. And I am the idiot? And those cars aren't on factory tunes. They are on aftermarket factory tunes.

I think its funny you try to be clever, but can only cite 2 examples of v8 fieros that you think made/make more power then my old setup on a measly 4 cylinders. And its only 2 cars over a span of 20 years!!!! Bwahahahahha. **** bitch I was making more on 4 cylidners then you ever will with your 8. Not to mention more then the majority of pincocks members. So talk all the smack you want, but I called out 6-7 sbc v8 fiero owners here in the central florida area, and they all declined to run. BWahahahahaha. Typical big talk from teh v8 crowd, with absolutely no ***** to back it up.

Hey if im am totally done with the car in three years that would be a fine idea. I'm not making any definant finish date. Rushing things only leads to failure, but of course you already know that don't you. By the time i get done you will have gone through 3 or 4 engines and will not have learned a thing except what mid 13's feel like. Unless you actually use your little brain and ditch the 3.4-2.8 garbage.
Once again talking about something that you are clueless about. It doesn't make me look foolish mulletboi. See you don't even know if it was a 2.8 or whatever else displacement. You dont' know the tune, you don't know the conditions, you don't know squat.

Yea I might be out blowing up motor after motor, but at least I am driving it and having fun. What are you doing? Making throaty exhaust noises with your *** filled throat all while daydreaming of the day years down the road when you might get to fire up that sorry motor?

Yet I do know you have had your motor for 9 months or more, and don't have **** done to it yet. Hell it took you months just to get the pistons out of it. Not rushing things? You got that right. You have no money to budget for your build because you are a broke *** bitch. Took me 8 months from conception to reality to have it up and running, and 6 months of beating the hell out of a old crappy motor before she blew after making 300+ whp.

Yea it made more then 233 whp. Is it a record? No but its more then 99% of the members on pincocks poop palace with the almighty SBC v8 motor. Not to mention way more torque then cletus' famed 377 cubic inch torque monster witha whopping 280 whtq!! Explain that. Cletus has a hard time doing that with his 377 cubic inch iron bucket. Yet I am the moron for making way more then that, with less displacement and less cylinders?

I think its funny, you are carbing your ls4 motor. My god man what a waste. You really are a moron Dirt. I can see it now, you asking the morons on poopcocks how to tune your demon 650 carb, because you are puking black smoke, and don't want to have it dyno tuned, or get a wideband for it to do it yourself, because your fatass wife won't let you budget for it because she needs that extra box of King Dons tonight. She keeps complaining that her FUPA is getting smaller, and needs more honey bbq Slims Jims to puff it back up.

Go away Link, you have nothing more to say here. I hate it when Trolls try to think they can hang with me.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:19 PM
Teching In

The V8 fiero people do not represent V8s.

If you want to see what some carbed V8s are doing go to http://www.maliburacing.com/
Old 11-28-2007, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by BRUTAL
The V8 fiero people do not represent V8s.

If you want to see what some carbed V8s are doing go to http://www.maliburacing.com/
Lemme guess... 9's and faster with all iron engines? Why troll the thread? Not cool.

On another side-note, why the L67? They're quite heavy. As for your sig... there's a couple FWD W-bodies in the 9's with a transverse mount. With proper, and intelligent work on reinforcement, a RWD transverse can see faster times. But clearly, we're all here for max RWHP and nothing else matters.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:10 AM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ravant
Lemme guess... 9's and faster with all iron engines? Why troll the thread? Not cool.

On another side-note, why the L67? They're quite heavy. As for your sig... there's a couple FWD W-bodies in the 9's with a transverse mount. With proper, and intelligent work on reinforcement, a RWD transverse can see faster times. But clearly, we're all here for max RWHP and nothing else matters.
You say all iron engines as if its a bad thing.
LOL, youre saying Im trolling the thread when someone is carb bashing AS USUAL? L67s arent heavier than any other common swaps into fieros.
Yeah there are plenty of transverse set ups doing awesome numbers. Those trannys have to be rebuilt again and again. IIRC the fastest isnt a transverse set up. It does not matter because its a POS fiero. I wish I knew this many thousands of dollars ago.

Youre right, nothing else matters except WHP.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:49 AM
Teching In

I love ****.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:34 PM

You say all iron engines as if its a bad thing.
LOL, youre saying Im trolling the thread when someone is carb bashing AS USUAL? L67s arent heavier than any other common swaps into fieros.
Yeah there are plenty of transverse set ups doing awesome numbers. Those trannys have to be rebuilt again and again. IIRC the fastest isnt a transverse set up.
Never said carb'd engines were bad. They're great for maximum power output on any application except turbocharged applications. But an all-iron engine with a carb in a car you're trying to build to be light for handling purposes is a bit counterproductive. There's a reason GM went away from iron construction and towards the aluminum LS1/2/3/6 and 7. But clearly, you know better than a whole team of engineers who have spent years perfecting this aluminum engine platform. They should just toss all that aluminum, fuel-injected crap out and go back to the carb'd, 500-pound iron engines once more.

But all iron is a bad thing when you're trying to keep a car light. Iron, by its very nature, is heavy. The L67 is heavier than an LS1, it's heavier than the Ecotecs, it's heavier than a turbo 3400, and it's heavier than now even the LS2. And as anyone will tell you, the key to fast is not overall power output, but a power to weight ratio. You can have 1,000 horsepower, but if you weigh 20,000 pounds, you're not going to accelerate quickly in the least bit.

Example: Two 4th-generation Monte Carlos. One with an iron-block 350, one with an LS2. Both tuned to 500 wheel horsepower, and similar powerbands. The one with the LS2 will run roughly 1/10th of a second quicker down the 1/4 by nature of being almost 100 pounds lighter.

As for the transverse cars needing to be rebuilt constantly, they need not be rebuilt any more often than similar longitudinal setups. The Grand Prix that's running a TT3800 and in the low-9's, almost 8's (traction limited) needs to only rebuild after every season, and that's not a necessity, that's a preference on the owner's part. The T65HD is a much stronger transaxle than most people give it credit for, when in the hands of skilled builders. If the builder knows not what they're doing, then the transmission will fall apart like any other, by lack of knowledge and ability on the builder's part.

It does not matter because its a POS fiero.
You're one of those people who live life 1/4 mile at a time, aren't you?

Youre right, nothing else matters except WHP.
Man, I'm glad you weren't on the C6 Z06 development team.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Wow this thread is trashed....

Allthese Fiero Threads are really remminiscent of Fiero.nl

Im Gonna Build , what if I did this , what if I did that.

yadda yadda yadda

all I wanted to know about was a ****** hanress

I hope they delete this thread.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ravant
Never said carb'd engines were bad. They're great for maximum power output on any application except turbocharged applications. But an all-iron engine with a carb in a car you're trying to build to be light for handling purposes is a bit counterproductive. There's a reason GM went away from iron construction and towards the aluminum LS1/2/3/6 and 7. But clearly, you know better than a whole team of engineers who have spent years perfecting this aluminum engine platform. They should just toss all that aluminum, fuel-injected crap out and go back to the carb'd, 500-pound iron engines once more.
I wasnt referring to you on the carb subject. Yeah I know why they went away from iron. I was just listing examples of low buck knuckledragger engines that make awesome power. I dont understand your sarcasm.

But all iron is a bad thing when you're trying to keep a car light. Iron, by its very nature, is heavy. The L67 is heavier than an LS1, it's heavier than the Ecotecs, it's heavier than a turbo 3400, and it's heavier than now even the LS2. And as anyone will tell you, the key to fast is not overall power output, but a power to weight ratio. You can have 1,000 horsepower, but if you weigh 20,000 pounds, you're not going to accelerate quickly in the least bit.
I guess you missed the part where I said common swap.

Example: Two 4th-generation Monte Carlos. One with an iron-block 350, one with an LS2. Both tuned to 500 wheel horsepower, and similar powerbands. The one with the LS2 will run roughly 1/10th of a second quicker down the 1/4 by nature of being almost 100 pounds lighter.
Yeah I understand power to weight ratio. Listing a wimpy 350 isnt what I had in mind, but I understand your example.

As for the transverse cars needing to be rebuilt constantly, they need not be rebuilt any more often than similar longitudinal setups. The Grand Prix that's running a TT3800 and in the low-9's, almost 8's (traction limited) needs to only rebuild after every season, and that's not a necessity, that's a preference on the owner's part. The T65HD is a much stronger transaxle than most people give it credit for, when in the hands of skilled builders. If the builder knows not what they're doing, then the transmission will fall apart like any other, by lack of knowledge and ability on the builder's part.
Yeah....just like the top dragsters in the country keep running the same engine and tranny race after race. Nothing fails on them either.

You're one of those people who live life 1/4 mile at a time, aren't you?
No, I have a fiero so its cool to go into the turns and see what the 20yr old suspension can do.

Man, I'm glad you weren't on the C6 Z06 development team.
Yeah, its too bad. Maybe if I was theyd be faster.

I love **** too.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Lowerit
Wow this thread is trashed....

Allthese Fiero Threads are really remminiscent of Fiero.nl

Im Gonna Build , what if I did this , what if I did that.

yadda yadda yadda

all I wanted to know about was a ****** hanress

I hope they delete this thread.
Me too, me too.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:44 AM
Teching In

Brutal...

your sig is soooo true...

20 yr old suspension ..hahah don't say that in certian fiero circles..the motor is in the middle ,it handles corners liek crazy!!! hahaha nevermind it's a citation rear end being fucked by a Chevette..

I love my Fiero , but damm some of the people who own them are mongoloids...

for all the money you spend modifying a fiero to be fast (and I am guilty of this)

you could buy a nice C5.. that was designed by real engineers...

Still have love for the Fiero...no love for the community though. (except realfierotech)

Quick Reply: LS4 harness